Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2014, 04:14 AM   #2221
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xbox One looks to be struggling in Europe pretty badly now. According to VGChartz for the week ending Feb. 8 PS4 outsold XB1 by almost 5 to 1 (57055 to 12212) ratio. The WiiU in Europe sold 8848 units for comparison for that week.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #2222
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I gotta say I find the entire next gen launch very underwhelming and I'm suprised the consoles are selling as well as they are right now. I keep looking for a reason to jump into a new console and I keep finding reasons to wait, and maybe wait for quite a while.

Its an outright embarrassment that neither machine is as good an all around media device as the PS3. Basic media functionality, 3D blu ray playback and things like that should've been ready to go from the start. Sony and MS want me to buy a new console but neither is as good as an 8 year old console that I already own. And MS has somehow positioned their machine as a powerful all in one media console -- but not as good as the PS3? Where's the value for the consumer here?

Secondly, almost every big name title coming this year is still set to come out for the previous generation consoles. How "next gen" can these games be if they are all still being put out on existing consoles? Sure they'll have better graphics, but I'm not sure I see the value in buying a whole new system for a visually enhanced game. I want new experiences that are incapable of being played on what I already own.

I guess my question to MS and Sony would be, why should I buy your new systems when my PS3 is better in every regard -- quality game library, full slate of media capabilities. At least with previous generation launches there were usually clear cut advantages to adopting the new technology (like SD to HD last gen). I get the itch to buy new technology, but as a consumer I need to see the value in it.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #2223
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

One reason I hate Amazon (by hate I mean love) is the buy now 1 click option. My PS4 arrived today even though I swore I wouldn't buy it until the first price drop. Actually paid for games for the first time in a long while. Playstation Plus kept me busy this last year with X-Com and Borderlands 2. I only play like 5 hours a week max, so this was not a wise investment.
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #2224
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Well you have to hand it to Sony, they pulled off an excellent marketing campaign that I really didn't think they were capable of. Sony was humble this time and with a message of listening to the consumers they ultimately serve, the news that they let an American lead the design team, instead of the usual arrogant Japanese designers, showed how much their executive team really wanted the project to succeed.

It was a very consistent message from the start and they stuck to their message and vision. That vision might be a little boring to be perfectly honest, but it was executed brilliantly. Microsoft on the other hand had so many conflicting messages and visions that no one had any idea where to look. Also price sweet point.
The thing that always makes the difference is giving people what they want vs telling them what they want. Last cycle Sony tried to tell people what they wanted in a gaming system and it blew up in their face. It didn't meet the actual needs or deliver what people wanted. Hyping up the memory that blew up in their face comes to mind. Hubris from how well the PS2 did.

This time around Nintendo (who should know better after doing this with the N64 and Gamecube) and Microsoft pulled it. Trying to shove things no one wants down their throats saying "Trust us, this is what you want." It isn't and we don't. Now Sony will clean up (and still barely turn profit) while the other two play catch-up.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #2225
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I would imagine the big swing we're seeing in PS4 sales is a combination of bad press and early adopter momentum. Sony really swung the hardcore in their favour, and while MS probably saw that coming to a degree, it was possibly a little surprising at how influential those became. In my circle of friends one or two guys bought one, they convinced a 360 owner to join them and before we knew it every gamer in our circle was going Sony.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #2226
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been half tempted to just sell my XB1 and build a gaming PC and be done with it.

With the lack of games on next gen, and well the games that are out, one is barely playable and EA doesn't seem to care.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #2227
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I've been half tempted to just sell my XB1 and build a gaming PC and be done with it.

With the lack of games on next gen, and well the games that are out, one is barely playable and EA doesn't seem to care.
The way I see it, for $50 more than an XB1 you can get a full fledge PC that will be much more powerful graphically than the XB1. It'll run games better and for the majority of MSFT games (these will be FPSes which will play better on a PC anyways because of keyboard and mouse).

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2VXoT

You'll also have access to Steam and the huge library of games that'll be available there. Mind you you will miss out on Kinect and maybe the IR blaster and control bits that XB1 brings, but those you can equivalents with PC peripherals anyways. Though that might not be integrated as well.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #2228
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

care less about kinect
Old 02-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #2229
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:

Yes... yes... come join the PC Master Race. Enjoy our superior input methods, triple monitor goodness, countless mods and upgrades to the games, and do your taxes in high res euphoria. Let lord Gaben be with you.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #2230
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand the multiple screen thing
Old 02-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #2231
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
For games, it's about the immersion for the most part. I've used it to my advantage in some multiplayer games to see someone coming from the sides. But it is fairly beta, not a whole lot of games support it yet.

As for the rest of the time, its great when multi-tasking. Once you go dual or triple, it is hard to go back to one screen
Old 02-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #2232
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Yes... yes... come join the PC Master Race. Enjoy our superior input methods, triple monitor goodness, countless mods and upgrades to the games, and do your taxes in high res euphoria. Let lord Gaben be with you.
Mods? I see the threads on reddit about cheaters, and I see videos all the time of people cheating on PC (BF4) with the boxes showing where everyone is. It seems to me that PC is just hack city
Old 02-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #2233
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The way I see it, for $50 more than an XB1 you can get a full fledge PC that will be much more powerful graphically than the XB1. It'll run games better and for the majority of MSFT games (these will be FPSes which will play better on a PC anyways because of keyboard and mouse).
Yeah, because the PS4 / Xbox One and a gaming PC fill the same need. Apples and oranges.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #2234
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you want to spend the money, you can play your PC games on up to three monitors simultaneously. So for racing games for example you'll be able to look out your side windows. Same with most FPSes while flying a helo. Almost all modern PC games support this. It's much more immersive and fun if you can afford it.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #2235
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I have a i7 4930 + ATI 7970+32G Ram box. So far I have only played BF3, 4 and Civ 5 on it. The dearth of quality PC game is pathetic and is getting worse and worse every year.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #2236
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Yeah, because the PS4 / Xbox One and a gaming PC fill the same need. Apples and oranges.
For some people it will. Xbox traditionally has a lot of good FPSes and if that's the only thing on that console you'd care about PC would fill that niche.

It's a matter of what game genre you care about on a specific platform.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #2237
RW99
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Mods? I see the threads on reddit about cheaters, and I see videos all the time of people cheating on PC (BF4) with the boxes showing where everyone is. It seems to me that PC is just hack city
Not in my experience. If I'm playing a game where someone is hacking it is pretty easy to tell, shot from across the map through 12 walls, always knowing where you are. In those games, there are usually server options to deal with them.

But I'm also talking about mods like GTA 4 with crazy graphics, Skyrim and it's weird mods, minecraft with its mods.

Team Fortress 2 is a good example. Absolutely horrible on the consoles, but quite fun on PC with constant modifications and new maps.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #2238
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHL
NFL
Racing (F1 maybe nascar)
realistic FPS like BF or Arma

that would be the jest of my gaming list.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #2239
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a matter of what game genre you care about on a specific platform.
... and how you want to game, and play with friends.

I have a computer job. I do not want to spend my evenings sitting in the same chair (or similar) that I spent my 10 hour work-day sitting in.

For multiplayer, I can have my buddies over, crack a few bevvies, and play video games on a big screen TV on a big ass wrap-around leather couch. Or hey, Xbox Live / PSN, whichever, but it's still different than if I were to do it at my PC.

Extolling similar cost for greater power when the way you use the product is fundamentally different makes the constant comparison between game consoles and PC gaming a repetitive exercise in missing the bloody point.

There is DEFINITELY a place for PC gaming. Hell, without a couple games of Prop Hunt on Garry's Mod when I'm on business trips, I'd be bored out of my mind in a lot of the sleepier places I get sent to. But let's not pretend they're targeting the exact same primary demographic, or that the cost of a gaming PC versus a console makes any difference to someone who is genuinely in the market for a console.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 02-19-2014 at 04:09 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #2240
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would it be cheaper to buy a cheap desktop and upgrade the CPU and Video card?