Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2024, 02:47 PM   #2221
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Mock drafts are fun. Last one I did for 4 round, focused on D, C, R and got us:
9 - SILAYEV D
27 - PULKKINEN D
41 - BEAUDOIN C
64 - JOSEPHSON C
74 - LAVOIE D
84 - HESSELVALL RW
106 - MCNAMARA C
107 - ROMANI RW

Every draft I do has Iginla going to TML.
Silayev is probably the one guy consistently top 12 that I do not want. Everything about him screams Zadorov ceiling and that would be a very disappointing top 10 pick
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 03:26 PM   #2222
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

https://nhlentrydraft.com/news/tij-i...024-nhl-draft/

I am sold.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 03:32 PM   #2223
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Silayev is probably the one guy consistently top 12 that I do not want. Everything about him screams Zadorov ceiling and that would be a very disappointing top 10 pick
I agree. It would also be a continuation of big = good
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 03:43 PM   #2224
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not a pro scout or anything, but I would be more excited to draft Pulkkinen than Silayev. Pulk is a 6’6” D. and stickhandles through opponents like he was Jaromir Jagr.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 04:50 PM   #2225
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha I just did that tankathon draft lottery simulator and jersey went to 1st OA with the Flames to 2nd OA

Could you imagine? Lol
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 07:22 PM   #2226
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Haha I just did that tankathon draft lottery simulator and jersey went to 1st OA with the Flames to 2nd OA

Could you imagine? Lol
I did it this morning and it had Seattle 1OA and Calgary 2OA. Yours is even wilder.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:07 PM   #2227
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Old Man Logan Edition):

Normally, I would preface a profile of a Junior A player by disclaiming that projections of their game should be tempered because of the lower level of competition they face each game. That's still the case with 6'1",175lb LW Logan Sawyer of the Brooks Bandits, but he proved himself (and raised his draft-stock significantly) in December's World U19 Junior A Challenge, where he was tied for 14th in tournament scoring with 6 points (3 goals) in 6 games for Canada West. What makes that significant is that the event featured players like Trevor Connelly, Mac Swanson, Alex Zetterberg, and Lucas Pettersen, with Sawyer outscoring the likes of Melvin Fernstrom, Linus Eriksson, Bruins' draftees Chris Pelosi and Beckett Hendrickson, Pens' draftee Zam Plante, and Alex Blais, among others. Sawyer was arguably Canada West's best player against Team Sweden, who sent their "A" team to compete, with a goal in a 4-2 loss. Sawyer and his teammates in Brooks were caught up in the controversy that saw several teams in the AJHL defect to the BCHL in mid-season, so his season was split between the two leagues with 59 points (26 goals) in 39 games. Sawyer was top-20 in scoring in the GTHL U16 in 2021-22, a league that featured several top prospects for the 2024 Draft, and outscored Jack Pridham and Dean Letourneau in Prep school scoring last season, at Stanstead College.

Sawyer's main asset is his shot, which is good enough for any league, and it comes with a deceptive release. It's hard and heavy, and he can pick corners with it. He can change the angle and the release point of the shot to stun goalies, and has some nice moves and deception to slice his way inside for shot opportunities. He's also a net-front presence, able to convert rebounds, and cash in on scrappy goals- he has the hands to beat goalies in-tight, and seems to like to target water bottles by roofing pucks. In Junior A, Sawyer is an excellent skater who can separate in open ice, beat defenders wide, and even go end-to-end; against better competition however, his speed is exposed somewhat. In reality, he's a little above average in the quickness department, far from a burner, and needs work on his edges as he takes wide turns and loses speed in doing so. His first few steps are sluggish and in need of more explosiveness, and his acceleration needs work. Fortunately, he keeps his legs pumping hard and is always in motion, which masks any deficiencies in his mobility to an extent. Another thing that helps is his quick hands and superb 1-on-1 moves that help him to stickhandle through traffic, and the way he uses deception to manipulate his way through tight spaces. He's highly elusive, hard on the puck, and protects well, making it difficult to strip him of possession.

Sawyer is a pest on the forecheck, and causes havok- he uses well-timed pokechecks to dislodge pucks, and turn it into offensive chances. He's equally a playmaker as he is a scorer, and he sees the ice well with high-end anticipation. In transition, he's a solid contributor and can carry from one end to the other, making clean entries with control, and he creates well off the rush. He has a relentless motor, stays active, and plays with tons of energy. He attacks the middle on both sides of the puck, and is considered to be a good 200-ft player who supports his D down low and is able to angle attackers to the outside. Sawyer is quite skilled, but raw, and has the ceiling of a middle-6 complimentary winger. He was drafted into the OHL in the second round, 41st overall, by the Erie Otters, but decided to take the path to the NCAA, beginning in Junior A. He is committed to Providence College in 2025-26, taking a fairly similar route to Mark Jankowski, who was drafted out of Stanstead College and played for Providence. Look for Sawyer in the 3rd, or 4th round.

Last edited by Sandman; 04-22-2024 at 08:10 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 08:08 PM   #2228
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Could you imagine? Lol
With Hughes and hischier down the middle already, maybe you offer a deal for 1st with the 2nd and markstrom
Old 04-22-2024, 08:08 PM   #2229
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other than Tij, who do you guys think is the most likely to go the Flames at #9?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:10 PM   #2230
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Other than Tij, who do you guys think is the most likely to go the Flames at #9?
Buium SCREAMS Conroy pick to me

Less sold and less excited, but could also see helenius
Old 04-22-2024, 08:10 PM   #2231
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't even remotely guess, that's how all over the place the rankings are after Celebrini.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 08:10 PM   #2232
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am feeling optimistic. We haven't been in true lottery position in a while, we finally paid up proverbially and the new arena is coming, we've never had a first... it's time we had our due reward here.

I land the 1st overall a solid 10% of times I run the simulator. Anecdotal obviously but I'm feeling lucky. We deserve it.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 08:11 PM   #2233
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I can't even remotely guess, that's how all over the place the rankings are after Celebrini.
Probably easier to try and rank the flames (potential) rankings based on their needs rather than trying to guess how the top 8 actually shakes out
Old 04-22-2024, 08:12 PM   #2234
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

my guess is Parekh, unless Lindstrom is available
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 08:26 PM   #2235
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lindstrom, Helenius, Buium, or another D man that slips. I think Parekhs stats launch him top 5. If Demidov gets past puck 2, I can see him slipping to CGY as well. Shouldn't happen but * can see it as there's always a run on D once the first one goes.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:28 PM   #2236
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Lindstrom, Helenius, Buium, or another D man that slips. I think Parekhs stats launch him top 5. If Demidov gets past puck 2, I can see him slipping to CGY as well. Shouldn't happen but * can see it as there's always a run on D once the first one goes.
With the sudden influx of Russians and Belarusians I think this would be an absolute steal. Demidov imo is 2nd overall only because of his position. Talent wise I have him just behind Celebrini
Old 04-22-2024, 08:30 PM   #2237
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

BREAKING

As promised, Upside Hockey's 2024 NHL Draft Rankings - Spring Edition
Bonus: NHL Central Scouting's Final Rankings Combined (using our chief of scouting E-Mac's formula)

"This is our April update to our patented quintessential spreadsheet format, composed by the incomparable Chief of Scouting, E-Mac. Check out the many tabs/sheets (subjects along the bottom) of this spreadsheet. There are too many cool features to list; explore yourself!
We now have in depth scouting profiles from our scout Sandman linked within the rankings spreadsheet under the second column "UH" - simply click on that to be taken to that respective profile.

For this edition, you will notice additional tab NHL-CS, which is our Chief Scout E-Mac's exclusive combining of NHL Central Scouting's normally segregated Final Rankings."

415 prospects included in this edition.

You may notice Tig Iginla's movement up our rankings...

Let us know if you a similar tool to match up against it.

https://bit.ly/upside2024nhldraft

Apologies for the strange AI art in following tweet but playing around and can neither confirm nor deny if this looks anything like our scouting team including E-Mac, Sandman or I.
(if you enjoy our stuff a like/retweet if you still partake in that site would be appreciated)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1782593995304042803

Last edited by cral12; 04-22-2024 at 08:46 PM.
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cral12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 08:43 PM   #2238
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone with better knowledge of players projected to go late in the first round or somewhere in the second round point out any players that might fit the prospect assessment status of Stankoven in his draft year? Not necessarily the same player but a player that puts up impressive offensive numbers but is limited in the rankings because of some specific perceived flaw? In stankoven’s case it was size. Similar with Gaudreau in his draft year. Looking for the high risk/high reward pick. One that likely could only make it as a top six forward in the league or not at all. Those are the players I’d love to see the flames use their later picks on… getting the “safe” players that project to be 3rd/4th line players is a waste IMO simply because those kind of players can easily be acquired through free agency and trades. Skilled, creative offensive players are much harder to acquire that way so finding and developing them through the draft is what I hope the flames try to do.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 09:15 PM   #2239
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Buium SCREAMS Conroy pick to me

Less sold and less excited, but could also see helenius
Helenius could be a real outlier with the forward group. I personally think he is right behind Catton on flames draft lists.

Playing in a mens league as a kid basically and putting up almost record numbers doing it cant be discounted. I wouldnt be devastated I see him as a better backlund.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 10:20 PM   #2240
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I heard through some 2nd hand knowledge, (trust the guy but his source I have no idea) that Lindstrom's injuries that kept him out this season are more serious than originally expected and that its starting to worry some scouts that it could be very long term/lingering issue.

His stock could fall.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft