Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2021, 08:29 PM   #2201
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not sure about that. The 370Z is kind of a forgotten car from years past so it's hard for me to get overly excited about the same car being rebooted with new body panels and Infinity engine. I'm sure it will be a decent performer but it's rumored to be in the range of $40k USD and I would have a hard time spending near 50 large on such an old car.
15-20k cheaper than the Z4 Supra with their inline 6.

The Z is going to be your best bang for HP with easier to tune components and cheaper parts replacements. Over the lifespan of its direct competition, you'll be saving a small fortune. Even as a reskinned 370 with a better engine.

It's a beauty car.

Maybe the rumored Integra will knock some socks off. Who knows. But right now the Z looks to be making a sport of the JDM sports car resurgence with a 400hp out of the box engine with a 6 speed manual for the purists and a nice new 9 speed for those that aren't so nostalgic. Better than the Supra again for options.

Like I said, Nissan pulled themselves out of the Abyss. I didn't say the made it to the top.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:45 PM   #2202
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I wish this car looked nicer.

Old 08-18-2021, 09:26 PM   #2203
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Cadillacs look pretty good. Nothing else looks like. Distinctly it's own thing.

Except of course other Cadillacs.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2021, 09:39 AM   #2204
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like most GM cars, it definitely could use one more solid design-pass to refine the details, and I'm not a huge fan of the interior, but the overall impression is pretty good to me. All that can be forgiven for what's under the hood.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2021, 10:14 AM   #2205
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been waiting for this car but man that infotainment and a lack of buttons might be a deal breaker for me-

chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #2206
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny, was just watching that one myself. I'm sure it's still a great car, but the new GTI is a pretty good example of how not all new generations improve over their predecessors.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #2207
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still probably the best daily for the money. I could live with this generation after selling our MK6 3 years ago.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:22 AM   #2208
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buying a GTI in an automatic seems pointless. You buy the GTI because you want the manual.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #2209
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
I've been waiting for this car but man that infotainment and a lack of buttons might be a deal breaker for me-

As a former owner of an MK7 Golf R I feel the new interior is a step down as it's very plain and plasticky looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Buying a GTI in an automatic seems pointless. You buy the GTI because you want the manual.
Problem is that these cars are developed with the DSG in mind seeing the Audi version (A3/S3) doesn't even come with a manual. The Golf R feels neutered with the manual compared to the DSG. It's not a particularly good manual transmission and the clutch is weak as it's an afterthought thrown in primarily for the North American market.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-19-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:28 AM   #2210
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post

Yeah I hear you. Another thing I don't love is the look of the front seats with the lack of a separate head rest. I do want to see it in person, but the lack of buttons would be really hard to get over, I think. I rented a Ford Flex that had all digital buttons a couple years ago and it was fataing awful. Unreal how you have to take your eyes off the road to do literally anything.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #2211
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
As a former owner of an MK7 Golf R I feel the new interior is a step down as it's very plain and plasticky looking.
It is criminal that everything is a touch button in the new Golf.

It went from one of the most usable, simple infotainments to one of the worst.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #2212
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really understand the capacitive touch button thing... it seems like it would be more expensive than just a button, and I've never heard anyone say they prefer it. So why take the more expensive option to produce when no one wants it?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #2213
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I don't really understand the capacitive touch button thing... it seems like it would be more expensive than just a button, and I've never heard anyone say they prefer it. So why take the more expensive option to produce when no one wants it?
Porsche has started doing it too. Long live physical buttons.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #2214
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Physical buttons are nice when, you know, you're driving and can just move your hand to the dials or buttons and get physical feedback of where you are instead of looking at the screen. All touch everything is dumb.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #2215
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Porsche has started doing it too. Long live physical buttons.
Yes. It's particularly insane from a company that for the longest time refused to acknowledge the existence of push button start because they thought people preferred the experience of turning a key to get your car to start.

Long live physical buttons, knobs, switches... anything you can tell you've activated just from the feel of activating it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2021, 01:39 PM   #2216
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

"Hey Siri, signal right"

"On it, calling your wife"
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2021, 11:27 PM   #2217
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It'll be interesting to see the longevity of all these screens in these vehicles. Let's say your digital dashboard dies outside of warranty; how much is that going to cost? What kind of effect will it have on resale market?

Do these things work well when my car's been sitting outside in -30 for 10-12 hours overnight?

Long live analog input!
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:13 PM   #2218
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Are the newer screens better in direct sun? I can always see physical buttons in the sun. I often find my backup camera useless because of the glare.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #2219
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just bought a new Toyota Highlander for the family vehicle and I'm looking at rim options. I really don't want to get standard steelies for winter tires, they're too ugly to have on the car when you end up with winters on for more of the year than summers. So I'm going to get some Nokian winters to put on the stock rims, and then get some nice aftermarket rims next spring to put the stock Goodyear tires on. Can anyone recommend a good wheel shop for 20" SUV rims?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:38 PM   #2220
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say just get some Toyota rims... maybe not the OEM ones if they're really pricey but you can probably find some on kijiji for a reasonable price.