Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #2201
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post

As for the Airdrie comments, it's very nice that you "personally have no problem with spending taxpayers money on projects (other than the blue ring)." Also, thanks for sharing that "I support using some public funds for the arena, in my eyes, the debate needs to be over how much and where, not yes or no.' Frankly though, this input should be swiftly deposited in the round file with other Airdronian input into City of Calgary affairs.

Most other posters who don't live in Calgary have stated such as a caveat before submitting their views on the public money for the arena, outright held their tongue on the matter or said that their views on that subject shouldn't count or hold weight.
The fact that I live in Airdrie does not eliminate me from having the ability to own property and pay property tax in the City of Calgary. But hey any chance to crap on Airdrie right.
The Following User Says Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #2202
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
The fact that I live in Airdrie does not eliminate me from having the ability to own property and pay property tax in the City of Calgary. But hey any chance to crap on Airdrie right.
But do you?
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #2203
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The fact that I live in Airdrie does not eliminate me from having the ability to own property and pay property tax in the City of Calgary.
A cost one would be passing on to a tenant via rent I would presume. Regardless, I'm comfortable with the generalization that most Airdronians, Cochranites and Okotokers can't make that claim and I take solace that when the chips are down, can't vote in Calgary municipal elections and referendums if it isn't their primary residence without committing election fraud.

Quote:
But hey any chance to crap on Airdrie right.
Don't believe I did in my previous couple posts, but may avail myself of future opportunities.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #2204
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be so smug...considering population Airdrie and Okotoks have far better sports facilities

Maybe Calgary could learn a thing or two considering its offerings are pathetic compared to cities of similar size and economic stature
Old 05-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #2205
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I wouldn't be so smug...considering population Airdrie and Okotoks have far better sports facilities

Maybe Calgary could learn a thing or two considering its offerings are pathetic compared to cities of similar size and economic stature
A couple of the nice Okotoks facilities were built by Flames owners.. Evil greedy owners
Old 05-02-2017, 02:47 PM   #2206
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Well probably, the tax payers of Calgary get to pay for all the infrastructure the residents of Airdrie and Okotoks use each and every day while they work in Calgary. Leaves those communities some extra money to focus on things such as recreational facilities.

What would Calgary learn from Airdrie and Okotoks? To pick up and move their city to the outskirts of Edmonton and mooch off everything they have there?

Maybe Calgary should put a toll on Crowchild just North of Tuscany/Rocky Ridge, and on Highway 2 South of Auburn Bay and North of Stoney Trail and use that money to build such facilities. That way places the likes of Airdrie could pay their share.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 05-02-2017 at 03:38 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #2207
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Well probably, the tax payers of Calgary get to pay for all the infrastructure the residents of Airdrie and Okotoks use each and every day while they work in Calgary. Leaves those communities some extra money to focus on things such as recreational facilities.

What would Calgary learn from Airdrie and Okotoks? To pick up and move their city to the outskirts of Edmonton and mooch off everything they have there?

Maybe Calgary should put a toll on Crowchild just North of Tuscany/Rocky Ridge, and on Highway 2 South of Auburn Bay and North of Stoney Trail and use that money to build such facilities. That way places the likes of Airdrie could pay their share.
lol you guys are too easy, good luck with your toll road...downtown is half vacant as it is
Old 05-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #2208
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
lol you guys are too easy, good luck with your toll road...downtown is half vacant as it is
I am sure DT Calgary is worried about Airdre's impact...
The Following User Says Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 04:10 PM   #2209
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Annex Airdrie, strip it down for assets, then bulldoze and sell the land at auction. Use the proceeds to pay for extravagant stadium with beer lines to every seat. Sit back and contemplate a job well done.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #2210
jjdouble
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post

I haven't logged into this forum for 5 years, but I had to reset my password to log in to congratulate you on an absolutely brilliant post.

I used to live in Cranston before moving to a downtown condo, I'm all too familiar with the impact Okotok's free use of our roadways has on the actual taxpayers of this city. Please run for mayor or Council and implement this plan, regardless of whether the funds are used for an arena.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #2211
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Airdrie is a #### hole.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:33 PM   #2212
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdouble View Post
I haven't logged into this forum for 5 years, but I had to reset my password to log in to congratulate you on an absolutely brilliant post.

I used to live in Cranston before moving to a downtown condo, I'm all too familiar with the impact Okotok's free use of our roadways has on the actual taxpayers of this city. Please run for mayor or Council and implement this plan, regardless of whether the funds are used for an arena.

somehow the whopping 28,000 (and not all of them drive Into Calgary) residents of Okotoks have an impact on the 1.28 million in Calgary? Please tell me of this horrendous impact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #2213
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
somehow the whopping 28,000 (and not all of them drive Into Calgary) residents of Okotoks have an impact on the 1.28 million in Calgary? Please tell me of this horrendous impact.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #2214
jjdouble
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I didn't use the word "horrendous". However, let's use the 2016 population of Okotoks (approx 29,000). Let's further assume a little over 1/4 of them drive to Calgary daily.

Now examine the traffic on Deerfoot - average daily traffic was 168,000 vehicles calculated at the midpoint in 2016 (entering downtown at Memorial). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deerfoot_Trailhttp://

"Average daily traffic" is defined as "Average daily traffic or ADT, and sometimes also mean daily traffic, is the average number of vehicles two-way passing a specific point in a 24-hour period, normally measured throughout a year." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual..._daily_traffic

What this means, is that 168,000 "passing a specific point" is the same vehicle is counted twice on a given day. So divide that number by 2 to calculate the average number of vehicle trips a day on Deerfoot (84,000).

As it is the midpoint, the 84,000 figure again needs to be divided by 2 to reflect traffic in from each end of the city (42,000).

Lets assume only 8,000 people drive in from Okotoks a day. That's almost 20% of the traffic on the southern half of Deerfoot per day hitting the 2-lane overpass at Glenmore. And that's assuming every Calgarian enters before the Glenmore overpass (everyone from Okotoks does).

So yeah, I guess you're right. It seems that deadbeat town does have a horrendous effect on traffic in Calgary.

Last edited by jjdouble; 05-02-2017 at 10:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jjdouble For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 10:45 PM   #2215
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forget a toll road, let's build a wall. And make the Okotokers and Airdronians pay for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #2216
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People who crap all over Airdrie are forgetting one thing. Calgarians built that city and a lot of Calgarians work in Airdrie.

Sure, a lot of them work in Calgary but how many trades people (myself included) have had a part in building Airdrie? A lot and it has benefited Calgary.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2017, 11:00 PM   #2217
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lets assume only 8,000 people drive in from Okotoks a day. That's almost 20% of the traffic on the southern half of Deerfoot per day hitting the 2-lane overpass at Glenmore. And that's assuming every Calgarian enters before the Glenmore overpass (everyone from Okotoks does).

So yeah, I guess you're right. It seems that deadbeat town does have a horrendous effect on traffic in Calgary.
That 8000 assumption is pretty ambitious considering there are 10000 households in Okotoks. I can't imagine more than 50% of households have daily commuters.

I don't doubt they have an effect on traffic though, but 3-4000 vehicles sounds a lot more plausible to me (if not still a little high). Not everyone works downtown, so I'm sure plenty of people take Macleod, Barlow or Stony.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 08:29 AM   #2218
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't use the word "horrendous". However, let's use the 2016 population of Okotoks (approx 29,000). Let's further assume a little over 1/4 of them drive to Calgary daily.

Now examine the traffic on Deerfoot - average daily traffic was 168,000 vehicles calculated at the midpoint in 2016 (entering downtown at Memorial). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deerfoot_Trailhttp://

"Average daily traffic" is defined as "Average daily traffic or ADT, and sometimes also mean daily traffic, is the average number of vehicles two-way passing a specific point in a 24-hour period, normally measured throughout a year." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual..._daily_traffic

What this means, is that 168,000 "passing a specific point" is the same vehicle is counted twice on a given day. So divide that number by 2 to calculate the average number of vehicle trips a day on Deerfoot (84,000).

As it is the midpoint, the 84,000 figure again needs to be divided by 2 to reflect traffic in from each end of the city (42,000).

I'm not sure you can assume 8,000 people drive in from Okotoks. If it were then that might be the maximum and not the average. The population of the communities in the far south is very close to the population of Okotoks.
It's an amazing deadbeat town with some impressive features for it's small population. It's not better than Calgary, it's just different... and I love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rollin22x For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #2219
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
I am sure DT Calgary is worried about Airdre's impact...
Maybe not Airdrie, but Springbank?
Old 05-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #2220
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This thread is not what the title is about anymore....