Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #2201
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If I was an Oiler's fan I don't know if I would want Chia to negotiate anything for my team.

He's been terrible on trade negotiations, and pretty gross in terms of contract negotiations.

Chances are Chia will surrender on the first day and give McDavid 14.5 over 4 years.

I'm still convinced that Conner and his agent had a lot to do with the quick change of Oilers management after they were picked. I think that Conner told the Oilers that he would Eric Lindros them if the same incompetent boobs were still running the team by training camp, so out goes Mac-T and Lowe (not fired just shuffled) and in comes Chia and T-Mac.

But probably to Conner's consternation this coach and GM are just equally terrible at their jobs.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #2202
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
What is flourish, maybe get 50 points in a good year? He has never demonstrated any real offensive ability. He is too slow for his slight stature and does not do much defensively. 6 million dollars for what he offers is a gross overpayment.
We have seen Hopkins play pretty well on world stages and I think he simply needs a change of scenery. If I was a GM in the league I would be trying to buy him low because I think on a different team he could become a very good 2nd line center.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #2203
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
We have seen Hopkins play pretty well on world stages and I think he simply needs a change of scenery. If I was a GM in the league I would be trying to buy him low because I think on a different team he could become a very good 2nd line center.
Oilers might trade him once they get Nolan Patrick first overall.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #2204
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Oiler fans think McDavid is going to sign for 9.7 per?

If they're expecting one of those stupid jersey-number related contracts, 12.125 per year (97 million over 8) is way more likely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #2205
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
And I'm not sure what anyone is expecting. He's a 55 point guy. He's on pace for 22 goals and 57 points...

That contract was Chiarelli's desperation
And that's playing with McDavid most of the time, a position where a house plant could probably put up 40 points.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #2206
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems to me the Oilers' strategy for cap management is to keep acquiring shiny new toys on ELCs. Trade the old one, bring in the new one.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:07 PM   #2207
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Oilers might trade him once they get Nolan Patrick first overall.
Isn't Patrick going to Las Vegas? possible, but not certain

EDIT: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansi...es/c-281010592
Quote:
2017 NHL Draft Lottery

The Las Vegas franchise will be given the same odds in the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 regular season.

The Las Vegas franchise's First Round selection in the 2017 NHL Draft will be determined in accordance with the 2017 NHL Draft Lottery and, as a result, the Las Vegas franchise will be guaranteed no lower than the sixth overall selection.

The Las Vegas franchise then will select third in each subsequent round of the 2017 NHL Draft (subject to trades and other potential player transactions).

Last edited by cam_wmh; 12-11-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:07 PM   #2208
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

how bad does Griffen Reinhart have to be to not make this defense and not even be called up, i hope for his sake he is injured because if he is healthy, he should just retire now
Old 12-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #2209
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
You really think they can build a winning team with McDavid making $15 million? Why didn't Crosby ask for the max? Why hasn't pretty much every great player in the history of the NHL during a cap era ask for the max?
Coming off of his entry level contract Crosby signed a 5 year deal for 43.5M, the cap at the time was 56.7M which equals 15.34% of the cap. An equivalent deal for McDavid (based on today's cap) would be a 11.2M cap hit. For some bizarre reason Crosby likes to have his cap hit the same as his number so it's not hard to say that McDavid could get 11.5 - 12M based on that comparable.

If you want to look at an 8 year deal it's a little more.
Crosby
08/09 - 9M of 56.7M = 15.87%
09/10 - 9M of 56.8M = 15.85%
10/11 - 9M of 59.4M = 15.15%
11/12 - 9M of 64.3M = 14%
12/13 - 7.5M of 60M = 12.5%
13/14 - 12M of 64.3M = 18.66%
14/15 - 12M of 69M = 17.4%
15/16 - 12M of 71.4M = 16.8%
Average is 15.78% which based on today's cap would be 11.52M. That doesn't account for any cap increases in the next 8 years or Crosby's stupid number cap hit. It's pretty easy for McDavid's agent to make a case for 12 - 12.5M over 8 years or 11.5 - 12M over 5 years. He would surely get offer sheeted for at least 12M so he also has all the bargaining power.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #2210
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crosby was in a team that went to the finals the year he finished his ELC, if I recall correctly. Motivation to keep the team together.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #2211
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, Crosby was on a team that had Malkin. Without McDavid, the Oilers really don't have a plausible first-line centre.

Bottom line, Crosby had more motivation to stay than McDavid will, and the Oilers have more motivation to keep the player than the Penguins had. That doesn't put Chiarelli in a great negotiating position.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #2212
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Also, Crosby was on a team that had Malkin. Without McDavid, the Oilers really don't have a plausible first-line centre.

Bottom line, Crosby had more motivation to stay than McDavid will, and the Oilers have more motivation to keep the player than the Penguins had. That doesn't put Chiarelli in a great negotiating position.
Yeah, that was my point. Crosby was on a real contender and would want to keep Malkin. I doubt McDavid will be overly concerned about making sure Draisaitl or Nugent Hopkins are still on the team.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2016, 09:14 PM   #2213
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking more of the Penguins' attitude. If Crosby had tried to hold out for fifty godzillion dollars, the Penguins might have told him to pound sand and built the team around Malkin instead. The Oilers don't have any such option.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #2214
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I was thinking more of the Penguins' attitude. If Crosby had tried to hold out for fifty godzillion dollars, the Penguins might have told him to pound sand and built the team around Malkin instead. The Oilers don't have any such option.
I'm sure Nolan Patrick makes McBaby a little more expendable
Old 12-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #2215
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
I'm sure Nolan Patrick makes McBaby a little more expendable
Nah. No way Nolan Patrick falls to #3 in the draft.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #2216
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think any way you slice it, McDavid's next contract will be big.

Where did Crosby's contract rank around the league at the time?

Also, keep in mind that cap circumvention contracts are no longer in the picture. Does McDavid earn less than 14 million a year, as some of the top players are actually earning in real dollars? I would think his next contract puts him into the elite level.

Oilers will pay for it. They will make the room. RNH will be sold for pennies on the dollar (and he is worth pennies on the dollar at the moment). Eberle will probably get sold off as well for pennies on the dollar.

Also, I would figure that Draisaitl and McDavid will both earn some of their bonuses - I would assume McDavid hits his bonuses this year and next, and it will cause an overage, further complicating the salary cap issues.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #2217
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not going to lie - I've soured with a guy I work with. He's a giddy oilers fan, which makes this spiral even more special this year
Old 12-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #2218
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

LOL. The new Rogers Arena is so big that the TSN announcers were unable to distinguish between Pouliot (#67) and McDavid (#97) on a breakaway. That's what the announcers said. I guess they're too far away from the action.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #2219
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nothing like EN points to pad McDiver's stats.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #2220
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
Nothing like EN points to pad McDiver's stats.
Or almost EN points.
Closed Thread