Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #2181
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Double click the home button and it'll bring up the task switcher.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #2182
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh snap! Lol, ok so if they're in the task switcher, it's not a big deal in terms of memory drain or something?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #2183
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Not usually no, Apple's idea of multitasking is to expose a very specific limited set of functions that the application can ask (politely) the phone to do, so it's not like the app can sit there computing pi and drain your battery.

But they do use some small level of resources, and the phone will automagically close them when it thinks it needs to.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #2184
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I always close apps when I'm done with them. It's so cluttered down there otherwise! No point in having every app on the phone in the task switcher.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #2185
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Is there a way to have apps automatically close, rather than stay in the task manager?

2. Should both of the little speakers be working at all times? When playing games for example, it seems only one of the speaker works. I can tell by covering one of them up, and it basically completely muffles the sound. It doesn't seem like anything is coming out of the other one.

3. How do I tell if my battery is defective or worse than it should be? Upon a complete charge, it often drains down to 94% or wherever the battery metre visually drops a little bit. This happens within maybe 15-20 minute of relatively light use which does not include gaming.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #2186
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
1. Is there a way to have apps automatically close, rather than stay in the task manager?

2. Should both of the little speakers be working at all times? When playing games for example, it seems only one of the speaker works. I can tell by covering one of them up, and it basically completely muffles the sound. It doesn't seem like anything is coming out of the other one.

3. How do I tell if my battery is defective or worse than it should be? Upon a complete charge, it often drains down to 94% or wherever the battery metre visually drops a little bit. This happens within maybe 15-20 minute of relatively light use which does not include gaming.
One of them is a speaker, the other is a mic I'm pretty sure.
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #2187
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, I didn't know that. My 3G was the same, and here I thought it was defective the entire time. I just didn't care too much.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #2188
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know if under the usage panel if the Cellular Network Data includes wifi? I'm a little concerned that I've racked up 8gb of usage in a month and a half without downloading much of anything. Plus its 4GB of data sent which makes no sense to me.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #2189
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, that doesn't go up when you're on WiFi. Something's up for sure.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #2190
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

No, your wifi usage should not be showing up there.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #2191
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

####, that makes no sense, I'm in no service land for 20 days a month, whats you typical ratio for sent received?
Old 05-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #2192
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do I tell if theres apps running in the background that I thought I've closed?
Old 05-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #2193
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

19.1 MB sent, 178 MB received. That's for this past week or so, I guess that would be typical.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #2194
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those ratios seem sensible. fotze, did they show you how to close all those apps? Or tell you where to see whats open?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #2195
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I took my phone to the genius bar today, had about every application running, never knew how to close them, but it does not appear to have fixed the wicked drain on the battery.

Reading the specs they say the phone can do 7 hours of browsing. Not a chance, never had near that good battery life.

Will they replace the phone with a refurb or am I screwed, I think it is more than a year old.
How can they not have this crappy battery figured out? I don't get it. I guess I'm just late to the game with my complaint as it's been out for a year.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #2196
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Those ratios seem sensible. fotze, did they show you how to close all those apps? Or tell you where to see whats open?
Photon helped me. Double click the home button, and you bring up the task swticher. Then hold an icon, and you can close them once they start shaking.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #2197
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

So did he tell you that your battery drain was normal, or what?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #2198
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Ya the guy showed me, I always thought all those apps were just all the apps on your phone that you just scroll through, but it was every one I had ever opened in the multitasker.

The guy did seem to have that look on his face that syncing the iphone once more and closing those were not going to work and that I'd be coming back.

and I need to say it once again since I am now carrying both, this blackberry is so bloody terrible that its almost funny. I opened the maps application and it took 3 minutes to zoom in one notch. How could you be the guy presenting that piece of crap to your management, imagine the tortuous real time presentation while its loading.
Yeah, looks like I had everything open. I'm sure these stupid apps like Air Canada were refreshing every few minutes just ratcheting up my phone bill. Ugh, I'll need a chemical tote worth of lube for the phone bill I'm about to receive. I only have a 1gb plan
Old 05-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #2199
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Yeah, looks like I had everything open. I'm sure these stupid apps like Air Canada were refreshing every few minutes just ratcheting up my phone bill. Ugh, I'll need a chemical tote worth of lube for the phone bill I'm about to receive. I only have a 1gb plan
I don't know man. Wait for someone who knows for sure, but I don't think they update like that. For example, the twitter application I use does not update until I re-open it from the task switcher. I could be entirely wrong, but I don't know how it would use data.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #2200
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update... I phoned Telus, apparently the usage thingy tracks both wifi and cellular data. The guy suggested downloading an app that distinguishes between the two. I've only used 250ish mb, versus 8.2gb. Whew.

Tags
angering fanin80 , apple suxors