Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #201
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I don't think it's that at all, no one in this thread from vancouver (or the 'non-d bag good people who have thankfully got out') has said it's the greatest place in the world

but what this thread mostly has is people who don't live in Vancouver talking about how bad it is
I'm not singling out any posters in this thread outside of VANFLAMESFAN (just in fun because he's so excitable) and I agree that there has been some senseless Vancouver bashing in this thread but when a lot of residents have this superiority complex combined with embarrassments like the riots it kind of feeds the mob mentality when something like this Lucic incident happens.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #202
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I don't think it's that at all, no one in this thread from vancouver (or the 'non-d bag good people who have thankfully got out') has said it's the greatest place in the world

but what this thread mostly has is people who don't live in Vancouver talking about how bad it is
There is nothing wrong with Vancouver. Beautiful city. Its the people in it.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #203
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's nothing wrong with Vancouver that a zombie plague couldn't take care of.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #204
Soliak
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
The fact I can catch all the species of Salmon + Steelhead 5 minutes from my house downtown, in a crystal clear river with snow capped mountains as the back drop is pretty damn awesome. Certainly one of the more beautiful places I have ever been.
Soliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #205
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't hate it. In fact I'm indifferent as although overrated as a place to live it's still a nice place to visit. It's the residents with Vancouver Complex that people hate.
They're the worst.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #206
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

I've lived in Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver for more than 8 years in each city.

I'm definitely not a fan of Vancouver. The "great weather" and "beautiful city" labels are completely overstated since the great weather is really only from June to September, so if 4 months of the year of fantastic weather is good enough, then fine, but you need to realize that the other 8 months is overcast skies with no sunshine and rain probably 80% of the time. Also, -5 in Vancouver feels colder than -5 in Calgary and Toronto... A LOT colder.

As for the people of Vancouver, there's good and bad like anywhere. The 20 - 35 year old crowd that actually goes out to party (more on this later) seem to have a high percentage of ######s and idiots of the alpha male variety for sure from my observation. The theory that me and my friends have is that this has been believed / known for a long time now by locals and thus the 'normal' people in Vancouver don't really party regularly except on big occassions (New Years or Halloween) because they too despise the crowd. This leaves only people who belong in that crowd (mostly) going out on a regular basis. You'll actually notice that more 'normal', non-######y people are out and about on big occassions and the crowd will be much, much different.

Seriously, go out to Yaletown, Granville or Gastown on a Friday / Saturday night around 11:30PM and you'll be shocked at the high percentage of these types out. I'm not even talking about only the clubs in these areas - go to a restaurant in Yaletown like Cactus and you'll see it completely filled with alpha males and trophy girls.

I was born and raised in Calgary, but I don't defend the city just because of that. Calgary to me is a small city like Vancouver, but Calgary has even less to do in terms of night life and partying than Vancouver which is pretty bad. The people in Calgary though in the same age range that go out seem to be more diverse than Vancouver for sure.

Toronto has a good party scene with huge diversity and plenty of options. Has its share of alpha male ###### bags as well (like any city), but the percentage is smaller than Vancouver by far and you don't see as much of the racial segregation in Toronto as you do in Vancouver when you're downtown.
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #207
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
There's nothing wrong with Vancouver that a zombie plague couldn't take care of.
While you're joking, it's pretty much a fact that a zombie plague would actually improve the place, if only because flesh-eating demonic creatures would be a step up from the current local population. I mean, at the very least, they wouldn't drone on and on about their new best grouse grind time or the great cup of 49th Parallel they had that morning. Tools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloHockeyFans View Post
As for the people of Vancouver, there's good and bad like anywhere.
Good and bad are relative terms. Good in Vancouver is bad everywhere else. Bad in Vancouver only technically qualifies as human.

As has been repeatedly pointed out by some of the most rational and right-minded people on this forum - most notably Puckluck, Stay Golden and Eric Estrada - it's the people there that are the problem. They're terrible, and there's really no minority shining ray of light among them that isn't statistically dwarfed by the sea of awful.

People really need to stop apologizing for them and trying to rationalize their behaviour, or honestly even their existence. Once everyone cuts out trying to convince themselves finally, that understanding and compassion is futile, the solution will become obvious. Vancouver is a plague that must be eradicated. As has been pointed out, wipe out the people and it'd probably be a pretty okay place to go.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #208
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

The zombie plague already exists in Vancouver, check out the downtown east side.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #209
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloHockeyFans View Post

I'm definitely not a fan of Vancouver. The "great weather" and "beautiful city" labels are completely overstated since the great weather is really only from June to September, so if 4 months of the year of fantastic weather is good enough, then fine, but you need to realize that the other 8 months is overcast skies with no sunshine and rain probably 80% of the time. Also, -5 in Vancouver feels colder than -5 in Calgary and Toronto... A LOT colder.
Who cares about summer. Summer is awesome everywhere in Canada.

And to be fair, it's usually like +6 in Vancouver while its -15 in Alberta in the winter months, but it's not like that makes it a land of "great weather".

You're not San Diego there Vancouver.

I really enjoy Vancouver as a place to visit. Don't really have much of a desire to live there.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #210
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Who cares about summer. Summer is awesome everywhere in Canada.

And to be fair, it's usually like +6 in Vancouver while its -15 in Alberta in the winter months, but it's not like that makes it a land of "great weather".

You're not San Diego there Vancouver.

I really enjoy Vancouver as a place to visit. Don't really have much of a desire to live there.

I lived in Vancouver for 7 years and hated the winters. The first one was kind cool for the novelty of it, but I would gladly have colder weather if it is drier.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #211
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I lived there for university and I actually liked it...puts on flame proof armour
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #212
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I would never move back to Calgary from Vancouver.
Nobody cares.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #213
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
I think the problem with this thread is that there is no distinction between "people from Vancouver" and "####ing ######bag Canuck fans".

Canuck fans, who happened to be from Vancouver, were the rioters. Other people from Vancouver cleaned that #### up the next morning.

I have no problem with that article from Hush magazine. I'd say it's a pretty good take on meeting or talking with strangers here.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote