Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #201
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wotherspoon was having shoulder surgery in July at development camp and was recovering during training camp, so I didn't see much of him. That said, what I saw of him during the WHL playoffs last year was really impressive. He and Joey Leach could quietly develop into really dependable blueliners down the road.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #202
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Wotherspoon was having shoulder surgery in July at development camp and was recovering during training camp, so I didn't see much of him. That said, what I saw of him during the WHL playoffs last year was really impressive. He and Joey Leach could quietly develop into really dependable blueliners down the road.
Probably solid 5-6 guys. I think they were taken too high for what they project to be.

I think with picks in the 1st to 3rd round, you need to go for offensive guys, they hold the greatest value.

Once you have offensive guys, you can trade them for as many 3rd - 4th line grinders and 5th and 6th defenseman as you want.

That's how I'd manage my assets.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #203
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Granlund seems to be struggling a bit, especially compared to his brother, over seas.

In your opinion, should we ever expect top 6 duty out of him? Or is it too early to tell?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #204
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Granlund seems to be struggling a bit, especially compared to his brother, over seas.

In your opinion, should we ever expect top 6 duty out of him? Or is it too early to tell?
Way too early to tell.

This is his first full season with the big team and there's always a period of adjustment. I wouldn't compare Markus to Mikael since the latter has a much better skillset to begin with and is one of the top prospects currently not playing in the NHL.

ClubFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #205
Dorkmaster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Probably solid 5-6 guys. I think they were taken too high for what they project to be.

I think with picks in the 1st to 3rd round, you need to go for offensive guys, they hold the greatest value.

Once you have offensive guys, you can trade them for as many 3rd - 4th line grinders and 5th and 6th defenseman as you want.

That's how I'd manage my assets.
In theory you'd be correct but in practice that is horrible logic. Regehr was a first rounder and turned into a valuable piece for many many years. You don't pass up on a guy like that because you think you can pick an offensive superstar.

On top of that, plenty of players who were thought to have low offensive upside turned into excellent point producers in the NHL. Kesler, Mike Richards, Lucic, Weber, Hamonic (not sure) etc etc. Hell even a guy like Myers showed a ton more offensive capabilities after being drafted. Its not a clear cut as you make it.
Dorkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #206
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

[QUOTE=Dorkmaster;3362032]In theory you'd be correct but in practice that is horrible logic. Regehr was a first rounder and turned into a valuable piece for many many years. You don't pass up on a guy like that because you think you can pick an offensive superstar.

On top of that, plenty of players who were thought to have low offensive upside turned into excellent point producers in the NHL. Kesler, Mike Richards, Lucic, Weber, Hamonic (not sure) etc etc. Hell even a guy like Myers showed a ton more offensive capabilities after being drafted. Its not a clear cut as you make

Gary Roberts also. I think it's too hard to discover players that'll play in the NHL as is let alone be really picky about what 'type' of player to draft.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #207
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorkmaster View Post
In theory you'd be correct but in practice that is horrible logic. Regehr was a first rounder and turned into a valuable piece for many many years. You don't pass up on a guy like that because you think you can pick an offensive superstar.

On top of that, plenty of players who were thought to have low offensive upside turned into excellent point producers in the NHL. Kesler, Mike Richards, Lucic, Weber, Hamonic (not sure) etc etc. Hell even a guy like Myers showed a ton more offensive capabilities after being drafted. Its not a clear cut as you make it.
I think most of the guys you listed were considered solid players but had high upside, especially Richards and Kesler. I'll give you Weber, though, I'd be pleasantly surprised if Wotherspoon developed like that.

I just remembered after Wotherspoon was drafted, Todd Button said they projected him to top out as 5 guy, which didn't sound too good for a 2nd round pick. I mean, I think the Predators at least projected Weber as a top 4 when they drafted him the 2nd round.

I'm not too sure where Wotherspoon sits on the depth chart of the Winterhawks right now. Maybe someone who watches them regularly can pipe in. I heard their defense is stacked this year and the one game I watched, Wotherspoon wasn't getting the most icetime of the defenseman.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #208
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat gave up 3 goals in the 3rd period for a loss at home against OKC.

Goals for Byron (from Nemisz and Wilson) and Kolanos (from Rheault and Walter).

Irving was standing on his head for the first two periods and then... not so much. At least one of the goals was a flub from Irving.

Unfortunately I couldn't be at the game tonight, but heard Conroy and Marc Crawford were there tonight.

Why Crow would be at the game is beyond me, but he was.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:33 AM   #209
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post

Irving was standing on his head for the first two periods and then... not so much. At least one of the goals was a flub from Irving.

Unfortunately I couldn't be at the game tonight, but heard Conroy and Marc Crawford were there tonight.

It sucks to lose a game in the last :30 on a penalty. Heat have a chance for revenge right away. I hope they really respond well. They've had trouble at home so far this season
Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #210
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I wonder if Crawford is looking for potential Spengler Cup candidates...
Old 11-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #211
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on PMM's review, I think Ortio should get the next start. Irving has been good, but I think maybe he needs a night off.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #212
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Based on PMM's review, I think Ortio should get the next start. Irving has been good, but I think maybe he needs a night off.
Maybe. But I think Irving has a better chance of pulling out a win against a division rival.

Although, we've never got a chance to see what Ortio can do other than short-term backup situations this season when gets pulled (or into a fight).

It'll be interesting to see what Ward does with the lineup on Saturday.

BTW, last night Bouma and Howse are injured. Meyer, MacMillan, Ivanans, and Breen were healthy scratches.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #213
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think most of the guys you listed were considered solid players but had high upside, especially Richards and Kesler. I'll give you Weber, though, I'd be pleasantly surprised if Wotherspoon developed like that.

I just remembered after Wotherspoon was drafted, Todd Button said they projected him to top out as 5 guy, which didn't sound too good for a 2nd round pick. I mean, I think the Predators at least projected Weber as a top 4 when they drafted him the 2nd round.

I'm not too sure where Wotherspoon sits on the depth chart of the Winterhawks right now. Maybe someone who watches them regularly can pipe in. I heard their defense is stacked this year and the one game I watched, Wotherspoon wasn't getting the most icetime of the defenseman.
That's because Wotherspooon is probably their 3rd defenseman right now. Morrow is clear and away their best Dman and was taken in the first round last draft. Rutkowski I probably the #2 and then Wotherspoon in 3rd.

He has no flash to him, but he is also pretty sound o positionally from the games I watched. My guess is that the scouting team thinks he can develop into a defensive style defenseman, which in my opinion makes him a safe pick, which is usually underwhelming but when you a take a much more 'risky' pick in Granlund 10 picks later I can see why they selected him.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #214
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe. But I think Irving has a better chance of pulling out a win against a division rival.
This. Ortio seems pretty shaky in terms of his first stop abilities at the moment. Getting him more use to the AHL in practice should help him out a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
That's because Wotherspooon is probably their 3rd defenseman right now. Morrow is clear and away their best Dman and was taken in the first round last draft. Rutkowski I probably the #2 and then Wotherspoon in 3rd.
Rutkowski floats around a bit. He's wildly inconsistant and will be anything from their #2 to #4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
He has no flash to him, but he is also pretty sound o positionally from the games I watched. My guess is that the scouting team thinks he can develop into a defensive style defenseman, which in my opinion makes him a safe pick, which is usually underwhelming but when you a take a much more 'risky' pick in Granlund 10 picks later I can see why they selected him.
I think this is the case. Wortherspoon's potential is a bit debatable. He'll probably be a #5-#7 type of guy, depending on how his skating ability turns out. The problem is, he's really, really slow and doesn't make up for it with his physicality. To a large degree, he reminds me of Adam Pardy, just not at a late round pick.

Last edited by kirant; 11-04-2011 at 12:52 PM.
kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #215
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...oston-college/

Bill Arnold: one goal, one assist

John Gaudreau: one assist

Ferland: one goal three assists tonight. I'd like to know from someone "in the know" how good of a player this guy can be. I remember Boomer saying positive things about him when he was drafted.

Last edited by Johnny Rotten; 11-04-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: more info...
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Rotten For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #216
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm becoming convinced that we can build a team with guys like Baertschi, Ferland, Reinhart, Nemisz, Backlund, Brodie, and Arnold. We could really use another stud blueliner.

Turner Elson with 3pts tonight to move to (edit) 12pts in 14 games

Last edited by thymebalm; 11-04-2011 at 10:05 PM.
thymebalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #217
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Elson had two goals and one assist in an 8-2 win.
Ferland had one goal and three assists in a 5-2 win.
Wotherspoon had a goal in a 6-5 win.
Bartschi had one assist and the winning (only) goal in the shooutout in a 6-5 win.

Last edited by Beerfest; 11-05-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #218
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey...oston-college/

Bill Arnold: one goal, one assist

John Gaudreau: one assist

Ferland: one goal three assists tonight. I'd like to know from someone "in the know" how good of a player this guy can be. I remember Boomer saying positive things about him when he was drafted.
Ferland's very good, but he's also on a team full of really good guys. But he's probably slightly less good than his numbers indicate. Looked very good at development camp.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #219
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Ferland's very good, but he's also on a team full of really good guys. But he's probably slightly less good than his numbers indicate. Looked very good at development camp.
i wondered if his stats are a little inflated playing with Stone. For a fifth round pick, he seems like a good choice.

On the WHL website they have him listed at 6'2" and 208 lbs., but on the Flames website they have him at 6' and 195 lbs. Has he shrunk or has he grown?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #220
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
I'm becoming convinced that we can build a team with guys like Baertschi, Ferland, Reinhart, Nemisz, Backlund, Brodie, and Arnold. We could really use another stud blueliner.
I'm a big fan of Slater Koekkoek. Feaster should take him if he's available when the Flames make their 1st round selection.

Tags
go flames go! , oilers suck , prospects