Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #201
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Nobody is pumping Ramos tires. He is a good backup goalie in this league.
The only aspect of the flames that played over their head last year was goaltending.

Last night Ramo gave us a solid chance at winning, he did not steal the show nor did he pack it in. He did exactly what most around the league would expect. We as flames fans are blinded by the face he is "a starter" on this team and his expectations are higher than they should be.
We have a D group that should be one of the best in the league. If they play as such, we stand a much better chance of winning. If they are going to s**t the bed, we have little to no chance. This team has not been built around goaltending but it has been built around defense.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #202
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
Nobody is pumping Ramos tires. He is a good backup goalie in this league.
The only aspect of the flames that played over their head last year was goaltending.

Last night Ramo gave us a solid chance at winning, he did not steal the show nor did he pack it in. He did exactly what most around the league would expect. We as flames fans are blinded by the face he is "a starter" on this team and his expectations are higher than they should be.
We have a D group that should be one of the best in the league. If they play as such, we stand a much better chance of winning. If they are going to s**t the bed, we have little to no chance. This team has not been built around goaltending but it has been built around defense.
The Flames could have won - in spite of Ramo. Not because of him.

Maybe you're right, expectations are too high. I expect my starting goalie to have a save percentage >.900, maybe we should adjust that downwards.

Listen the whole team D is pretty bad, but let's not try to rationalize that Ramo is doing ok. He's not. His performance has been pathetic.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #203
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Who really cares about the history of the franchise, the only history of the panthers that I give a damn about now is what happened last night.
That's exactly my point. Whatever the history, it doesn't have much bearing on the way things are now.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #204
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
The Flames could have won - in spite of Ramo. Not because of him.

Maybe you're right, expectations are too high. I expect my starting goalie to have a save percentage >.900, maybe we should adjust that downwards.

Listen the whole team D is pretty bad, but let's not try to rationalize that Ramo is doing ok. He's not. His performance has been pathetic.
I think with a .900 save percentage, this is a playoff team.

I find team defence crumbles as a result of lack of confidence in the goalie. Flames have good d-men and good defensive forwards, so this system should work. In my mind, it's the weak goalies that are hindering the whole team system.

At 900, the team plays better and they let in far fewer goals.

If I were GM, I am not sure if I pray to the little baby Christmas Jesus that Ramo/Hiller find their game again, or if I pray to the little baby Christmas Jesus another GM is willing to trade his capable goal tender.

But Baby Jesus needs to make one of those two scenarios happen. And quickly because the problem will only get worse as time goes on.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #205
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

I find team defence crumbles as a result of lack of confidence in the goalie. Flames have good d-men and good defensive forwards, so this system should work. In my mind, it's the weak goalies that are hindering the whole team system.

If I were GM, I am not sure if I pray to the little baby Christmas Jesus that Ramo/Hiller find their game again, or if I pray to the little baby Christmas Jesus another GM is willing to trade his capable goal tender.

But Baby Jesus needs to make one of those two scenarios happen. And quickly because the problem will only get worse as time goes on.

I am not trying to defend the goaltending because it hasnt been good. But at the same time do you think it is coincidence that the last two games (Philly and Pens) were our best defensive performances and the goaltending was well above .900.

Defensive play goes a long way in padding and tanking the goaltenders stats. Ramo is probably a .900 goalie on an average team and should be a .910 goalie on this team when they are playing well. Hes average backup quality and when the D are playing like they should it should be enough to win.

Edit: that being said he hasnt done himself a lot of favours this year but the defensive play hasnt helped much.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 11-11-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #206
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year, I think the Flames goalies (going on save percentage) were right about middle in the league (somewhere around 16th or so, too lazy to look up). Thus, I agree with the sentiment that if the Flames get average goaltending, this is a playoff team. This isn't to let the defense corps off the hook as they need to be better as a unit overall, but last night, the Flames needed a save when the score was 3-3 and didn't get that save.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #207
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I am not trying to defend the goaltending because it hasnt been good. But at the same time do you think it is coincidence that the last two games (Philly and Pens) were our best defensive performances and the goaltending was well above .900.

Defensive play goes a long way in padding and tanking the goaltenders stats. Ramo is probably a .900 goalie on an average team and should be a .910 goalie on this team when they are playing well. Hes average backup quality and when the D are playing like they should it should be enough to win.

Edit: that being said he hasnt done himself a lot of favours this year but the defensive play hasnt helped much.
It's a little bit of chicken/egg dilemma. What causes what to be bad. You could argue that the Flames played well defensively because Ramo made some good saves instilling a bit of confidence in the lads.

For my money, the regularly scheduled weak goals leads to the crumbling of defensive structure and confidence, rather than overall weak defense leading to weak goal-tending. It's a fine line, and I could very well be wrong, but that is my theory anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #208
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a positive Grant was good again. And being physical. Hope he sticks around.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #209
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I find team defence crumbles as a result of lack of confidence in the goalie.
It amazes me how this argument never works the other way, never. How about we once argue that the goalies crumble because the D infront constantly turns over the puck and the team generally is playing terrible hockey.
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #210
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, my 'Always Earned, Never Given' recommendations:

1.) Demote Giordano to play with Engelland on the 2nd line, Brodie with Dougie on 1st
2.) Make Wideman sit in the pressbox and give him extra time with Ramo at the end of practice for shooting.
3.) Smid comes in to play 3rd pairing with Russell
4.) Demote Hudler to the 3rd line, bump up David Jones to 1st line
5.) Play Ortio next game
Old 11-11-2015, 10:54 AM   #211
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a little bit of chicken/egg dilemma. What causes what to be bad. You could argue that the Flames played well defensively because Ramo made some good saves instilling a bit of confidence in the lads.

For my money, the regularly scheduled weak goals leads to the crumbling of defensive structure and confidence, rather than overall weak defense leading to weak goal-tending. It's a fine line, and I could very well be wrong, but that is my theory anyway.
Perception plays a part. Ramo and Luongo make pedestrian saves, that's a 2-1 Flames win at the end and no one is talking about defensive breakdowns at all, even though there were some.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #212
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

All of the above would make sense based on last years mantra but Hartley has to be feeling the pressure more than anyone right now and such a move looks terrible on paper and could end up hurting Hartley even more in the long run.

I agree though that perhaps it is Bob who needs to step back and get back to the basics, take a flyer and run with it. Jones, Johny, Bennett and Frolik have been the only ones deserving of #1 time.
Colborne, Jooris, Grant have been deserving of #2 time (based on effort and hustle)
Backlund, Mony and Hudler as #3

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #213
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm keeping an eye on the big picture, not just this season. The team still needs to address a lot of areas and continue growth in others. So long as the core (Hamilton, Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett) continue to learn and get better, I'm ok. Those guys are all still very young. The rebuild is not over (clearly).

I am concerned that the Flames bet too heavily on Gio. He's a good player, and I think he will still play some good hockey in the next few seasons, but I dunno if he's truly the elite guy that he looked to be the last year or so. As others have suggested, depending on how the season goes, it might not be the worst thing to explore a trade if there's good value coming back.

This team is 2-3 years away from where we want them to be. Everyone needs to keep that in mind. We all knew the rebuild would have some pain, we were just pleasantly suprised last year.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #214
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
It amazes me how this argument never works the other way, never. How about we once argue that the goalies crumble because the D infront constantly turns over the puck and the team generally is playing terrible hockey.
It's definitely not never. Dubnyk comes to mind. Scivens. Bobrovsky.

These goalies crumbled because the team in front of them played bad.

In the Flames instance, I happen to think it's the other way around. So, sue me.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #215
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last night reminded me of the recent Colorado game, team battled back from a 3-1 deficit to tie the game 3-3 only to end up on the wrong end of the score sheet. Last year's team somehow found a way to at least get a point (and sometimes both points), this year's team so far hasn't recaptured the magic.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #216
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think Treliving should explore trading Giordano while he still has value. Despite his struggles I believe a defensive needy team would offer up a good forward or even goaltender.
The only thing losing value is your word. This is so out to lunch its absurd, guy just recovered from a massive injury and we are a month into the season.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #217
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
So, my 'Always Earned, Never Given' recommendations:

1.) Demote Giordano to play with Engelland on the 2nd line, Brodie with Dougie on 1st
2.) Make Wideman sit in the pressbox and give him extra time with Ramo at the end of practice for shooting.
3.) Smid comes in to play 3rd pairing with Russell
4.) Demote Hudler to the 3rd line, bump up David Jones to 1st line
5.) Play Ortio next game
1. not sold on the idea that anything will wake up the D pairings, there's something missing over all.

2. Could do that. Wouldn't hurt. Having Smid get chewed up by TB may not be the best idea in the world though.

3. See #2.

4. Can't really do much with Huds that hasn't been done. The line up on paper every night is mixed up and sent through the washing machine througout the game. Lines are always mixed and matched. Lack of consistency again creates issues.

5. Yeah right. When Pigs fly on their own will we see Hartley give up on Ramo. Only way Ramo doesn't get a start in the foreseeable future? He gets injured. I hate Ramo and Hartleys stubborn and devout faith in him. Drives me nutty just thinking about it.

Last edited by dammage79; 11-11-2015 at 12:41 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #218
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There are a bunch of Flames fans that have become just as delusional as Oilers fans have been over the past two or three seasons. All the problems lay at the feet of the goaltenders. It's the goaltenders fault. All we need is another goaltender. We just need to trade for a goaltender and all our troubles go away!

News flash! When all of your goaltenders produce similar results, and post similar numbers, the problem isn't the goaltending. There are much bigger fish to fry here and it ain't the goaltending that is the root cause of the Flames problems. The Flames need the defense rebuilt, the forwards cleaned out of useless vets, and the systems changed from the predictable stretch pass game that is no longer working. Maybe when those things happen we'll see whether we have a real goaltending issue, because as it is, we are no different from that team up the road who doesn't play a solid team game.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #219
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
LOL so now you are just making up hypothetical BS to justify your hatred of Hiller?

Why would it be worse if Hiller was in net? Over their careers Hiller has shown to be a much better goalie than Ramo.

A goaltender like Ramo that can't stay in the net or control rebounds is worthless in the new, old, ancient, future or any other NHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
That's the same thinking you had with all the shooter tutor BS posts?
If you aren't moon, you're doing a great impression.

Your style and post mannerisms are hard to get away from.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #220
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
This team is 2-3 years away from where we want them to be. Everyone needs to keep that in mind. We all knew the rebuild would have some pain, we were just pleasantly suprised last year.
Agree with this, but I think a big focus of the "rebuild" years is to establish and fortify an identity and playing style. That looked to be trending in the right direction at the latter end of 2013-14 and through 14-15. But right now, those gains seem in jeopardy.

I'm fine with losses, but the way this team is losing games is worrisome.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post: