Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2017, 01:25 AM   #201
guuar
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Same excellent examples you have shown but some Flames ones I like are.

Tkachuk at #5 vs the Oilers top 3 RANKED player in Puljarvi

Sean Monahan at #6 vs Nathan McKinnon @#1
Yep it happens every single year in the NHL. It has nothing to do with luck.

It has everything to do with knowing the player you drafted and having the people to develop every single ounce of athletic ability out of them.

Monahan and Tkachuk both have one thing in common. It's the one reason why they were drafted as Calgary Flames.

They both have the work ethic, drive and natural passion that isn't something a player learns. It is imprinted into their DNA.

When Vancouver drafted Juolevi at #5 last year there were a lot of unknowns. All anyone knew was he was a talented Dman from Finland. Nobody mentioned what makes him tick or if the guy even cared about taking the Stanley Cup home with him after leading his team to a 3peat.

The fun fact is. The players that have the drive and passion things like this are known. You want players that are hungry to win and won't settle for less.
guuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:38 AM   #202
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I remember how upset I was last year with Winnipeg winning. Still kinda feel for Canuck fans, but kinda don't at the same time.
Hey, they had their chance to draft Matthew.

Stupidity is what screwed them, and to our gain.

I am ticked at Winnipeg though, knowing that different game 82 results would've meant the Flames picked Laine...
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:56 AM   #203
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulless Sisters View Post
I.....have.....no.....words.

I'm actually so torn on whether I should continue rooting for Edmonton in these playoffs in the spirit of Canadian pride. I can't help but think that my team is going to suffer in disarray for another 4-5 years minimum simply because of the incompetence of the Oilers' prior front office- and now Lowe and MacTavish, still employed by the Oilers, get to silently revel in Edmonton's new competitiveness all due to their own futility as executives and watching new faces like Chiarelli and Nicholson build a team in a way they themselves never could.

It's all a little too sickening.
E=NG goes beyond some fictional concept created by Flames fans.

Maybe now you begin to understand why those mouth breathers don't deserve anyone's support outside of their little town. Especially not the support of any lottery hopeful team in the last handful of years.

They're a black mark on hockey. They represent a culmination of the cracks in the league's system, and where it has ####ed up by not already having rules in place to ensure league parity. What's worse is they are an example of incompetence worse than Sakic's Avs being rewarded, and those same guys get to revel in what's happening like pigs in mud while everyone watches.

For shame, NHL.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-30-2017 at 03:02 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 08:00 AM   #204
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know who had that will to win? MacKinnon

Talking about drafts in hindsight is pointless. ALL of the players mentioned in recent posts were scouted to death by every team and by every scouting service. And they were ALL interviewed by every team.

They are 18 year olds. Some will blossom unexpectedly. Some will not reach their potential.

Talking like you know more than all the scouts (in hindsight) only makes you look like a fool.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #205
Haplo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuar View Post

Sam Bennett.

Everyone in the league think he's a bust. That same Sam Bennett is going to put up 30+ goals and 70+ points in 2017-2018.
Eh? This totally contradicts the rest of your arguments. You might as well claim Mackinnon will have 100+ points next year.
Haplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:47 AM   #206
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
When you hire people that rival Forest Gump for intelligence it's no surprise.

Sakic and Roy said the stupidest things before committing to draft Mackinnon instead of Jones.

Ya know.......

The forward group in this draft is incredibly skilled. It would be foolish for us to consider anything else.

Any layman or average fan can look back at that year and see within a few seconds the avalanche had two primary needs.

1. Defencemen. First pass Dman, Shooting/Point Dman, Defensive Dman.
2. Wingers. They had just one single Left Winger with Top 6 potential.

You look at this and you know instantly Its either Jones or Drouin.

Hindsight being what it is. They should have trade #1 for Calgary's THREE 1st round picks.

If that trade happens the 2013 draft goes down like this.

1. Calgary Flames - Sasha Barkov
2. Florida Panthers - Seth Jones
3. Tampa Bay Lightning - Nathan Mackinnon
4. Nashville Predators - Elias Lindholm
5. Carolina Hurricanes - Sean Monahan
6. Colorado Avalance - Jonathan Drouin

Calgary was VERY high on Barkov that year. They had a number of scouts and even past players that were all chirping at the scouts and feaster that Barkov should be the target.

Pretty certain Florida would take BPA with the #1 center gone. Back in 2013 Florida needed both high end Centers and Dmen.

Gets interesting at Tampa. It would be down to Mackinnon or Drouin. I get a feeling they'd take Mackinnon as he had the higher skillset at the time of the draft.

Nashville they needed a center badly. They only took jones knowing they could trade him for a #1 down the road and because they were certain the next 2 centers were on a completely different talent tier.

Carolina then takes the next best center. They lose out on Lindholm who is obviously the center they coveted. Instead they settle for a 30 goal center in Sean Monahan.

Karma for once is on the side of the Avs. They play their cards right and pick up 2 more 1st round picks. They draft Jonathan Drouin at #6 overall who contrary to belief is ACTUALLY exactly the player they needed.

Now this is where it gets sick.

When they drafted Mackinnon they had THREE centers that all had #1C potential with at worst #2C downside.

Statsny - Ryan O'reilly - Matt Duchene

Just for fun who would Colorado pick at #22 and #28....

based on the most basic eneds.

#22 Colorado Avalanche DRAFT D Shea Theodore.

#28 is more difficult to interpret. Could be Klimchuk as he'd be a good fit or could be another D man like Petan.

Either way they make that trade with Calgary and they very well are not in the situation they find themselves in. The two big mistakes.

Draft Mack and trading ROR for a Top4 quality Dman + table scraps.

tl;dr
Draft Pick 5th OA

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:55 AM   #207
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
You know who had that will to win? MacKinnon

Talking about drafts in hindsight is pointless. ALL of the players mentioned in recent posts were scouted to death by every team and by every scouting service. And they were ALL interviewed by every team.

They are 18 year olds. Some will blossom unexpectedly. Some will not reach their potential.

Talking like you know more than all the scouts (in hindsight) only makes you look like a fool.
This and arguing between who was a better draft pick last season or the one before. You know, because all draft picks develop the same.

Opinions are great, but talking in absolutes so early..... Ridiculous
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #208
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a fan of Vancouver... but boy, would that ever suck...

in a nutshell, that's why I think Edmonton is so hated...4 #1s in 6 years... man what a GD joke this league is...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #209
Iniggywetrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I haven't enjoyed the tears of Canucks fans this much since 2011. It sustains me!
Old 04-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #210
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
And a few of them cheered when they saw it? I can't understand that at all. A) you know you got bumped already... B) you don't want to hear your name called unless it's for #1...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think more than likely this was a group of relatively casual fans who were not clear on how the draft lottery works.
It was weird, and didn't seem like casual fans as everyone seemed to understand the rules the whole way through until the end.

It almost seemed like more of a "let's react after finally hearing what we knew" type of atmosphere in there, which would make sense because they're all drinking in a bar and came ready to go crazy.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:59 AM   #211
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's nice that the top 3 are all teams that tried to win this year and will try to win again next year.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #212
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Philly is as bad as their record showed last season. Drafting 2nd is going really going to propel them.

It's one of the reasons that I think the draft lottery weighting is over-compensation now that the league has relative parity.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #213
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sakic and Roy said the stupidest things before committing to draft Mackinnon instead of Jones.

Calgary was VERY high on Barkov that year. They had a number of scouts and even past players that were all chirping at the scouts and feaster that Barkov should be the target.

Pretty certain Florida would take BPA with the #1 center gone. Back in 2013 Florida needed both high end Centers and Dmen.

Nashville... only took jones knowing they could trade him for a #1 down the road and because they were certain the next 2 centers were on a completely different talent tier.

Carolina then takes the next best center. They lose out on Lindholm who is obviously the center they coveted.
It's pretty amazing we've had an absolute expert with inside info on every team sign up for the board...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #214
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I don't think Philly is as bad as their record showed last season. Drafting 2nd is going really going to propel them.

It's one of the reasons that I think the draft lottery weighting is over-compensation now that the league has relative parity.
I think it's perfect. Coming in last still promises a top 5 pick, which is going to improve your franchise, while offering no incentive to outright tank for generational talent.

The Flames have rebuilt without a pick higher than that. The Oilers had to accumulate several higher than that and still had to retool afterwards. It's not always the pick, it's what you do with it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #215
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are the flames gauranteed to be picking 16th?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #216
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Furthering PepsiFree's point: look at the Flames. (Italics were not first acquired by CGY)

Gaudreau (104th) - Monahan (6th) - Ferland (133rd)
Tkachuk (6th) - Backlund (24th) - Frolik (10th)
Versteeg (134th) - Bennett (4th) - Chiasson (38th)
Bouma (78th) - Stajan (57th) - Brouwer (214th)
F. Hamilton (129th)

Giordano (undrafted) - D. Hamilton (9th)
Brodie (114th) - Stone (69th)
Bartkowski (190th) - Engelland (194th)
Kulak (105th)

Elliott (291st)
Johnson (125th)

Gillies (75th)

It's entirely possible to build a very good team without a top-3 pick. The lottery shouldn't be the be-all and the end-all, especially in a weak year.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 10:51 AM   #217
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

How awesome would it have been if this had happened on a stacked draft year?

Could you imagine last year, or the McDavid/Eichel year with these teams? A team like Dallas really only sucks because of goaltending, and Philly's not that bad, just had a bad year, and was even in the playoff picture fairly late in the season.

It would have been so cool to see McDavid, Eichel or Matthews on already decent teams, instead of teams that cut the anchor to drift out to these players.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #218
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still a little upset at the draft results last night, but in the end I didn't really think they were getting a top 2 pick. Ill be happy if we get one of Glass, Mittlestadt or Vilardi at 5.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:03 AM   #219
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Are the flames gauranteed to be picking 16th?
Flames will only pick 16 if Nashville advances to Western Conference finals. Otherwise the pick 17
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 11:26 AM   #220
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
And a rigged draft lottery would require that the NHL head office, every single team and the independent companies that handle the lottery itself are all on board. This is only slightly less absurd than most 9/11 conspiracies.
Yeah, but you have to admit the NHL draft lottery system kind of proves the lunar landing was a hoax.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote