Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #201
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would never cheer for the Flames, Canucks, or Leafs. Can't believe some of you Flames fans are cheering for the Oilers. At best, I'd be indifferent to who wins before cheering for the Oilers if I were a Flames fan.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #202
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
I would never cheer for the Flames, Canucks, or Leafs. Can't believe some of you Flames fans are cheering for the Oilers. At best, I'd be indifferent to who wins before cheering for the Oilers if I were a Flames fan.
Smartest thing an Oilers fan has ever said.

I could understand getting behind some of those late 90's/00's teams a little since they were a bit of an underdog team that was punching above their weight at a time when it was tough to be a Western Canadian NHL team.

But to cheer for a team that was/is a cap team, that sucked for 10 years only to then be handed a top 5 player in the NHL, after already having 3 first overall picks is ridiculous.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #203
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me it isn't even about the luck of the lottery or the last ten years. Calgary will always be their biggest rival, why cheer for them?
Old 04-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #204
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Exactly. As a rival fan, I'd think less of Oilers fans if they ever cheered for the Flames, and I'd hope it'd be the same for you guys on Flames fans cheering for your team.

Down with the No Good Oilers! I'm hoping Kesler and Bieksa are in perfect dirtbag form and pissing off the Oilers to no end. Go Ducks!
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #205
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I just look at it as win win, if the Ducks win then they beat those dirty Oilers, if the Oilers win then they beat those dirty Ducks.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:12 PM   #206
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just pretend the Ducks are these guys and then you won't feel as bad for cheering for them.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 01:00 PM   #207
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I will never, ever cheer for the Coilers. I hate The Ducks but even if my child played for the Oilers I couldn't cheer for them.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #208
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Ducks Go

Need the Preds to beat the Blues as they have the best chance against the winner of this series.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #209
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I am just finally excited to learn why everyone hates the Ducks!
You're probably not gonna be too excited after the Ducks dismantle your team in 5 games or less.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #210
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
You're probably not gonna be too excited after the Ducks dismantle your team in 5 games or less.
Similar to the Sharks right?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #211
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Similar to the Sharks right?
The Ducks are deeper than the Sharks, are well rested, and are getting two of their best defencemen back for round 2. They're also 12-0-2 in their last 14 games.

Sharks limped their way into a lower seed playing terrible hockey down the stretch and into the playoffs. Not to mention Thornton and Couture were clearly not at 100% in that series. Out of all the teams in the west, the Sharks were arguably the easiest draw in round 1. The Oilers lucked out with that match up.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 01:35 PM   #212
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
The Ducks are deeper than the Sharks, are well rested, and are getting two of their best defencemen back for round 2. They're also 12-0-2 in their last 14 games.

Sharks limped their way into a lower seed playing terrible hockey down the stretch and into the playoffs. Not to mention Thornton and Couture were clearly not at 100% in that series. Out of all the teams in the west, the Sharks were arguably the easiest draw in round 1. The Oilers lucked out with that match up.
Sure, but lots around here thought the sharks were still going to wreck the Oilers.

Oilers played the Ducks hard in the regular season, winning the head to head series.

I think it will be a close series. Anaheim did not look otherworldly against the flames.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #213
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are four teams that I hate with a passion. Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Edmonton and Vancouver.

I'd prefer any of the other 26 teams to win, but in this case, I'd easily take either Pittsburgh or Anaheim over the other two.

You simply do not cheer for your rivals ever. They are your worst enemy. You wish them destruction only. Period.

Vancouver being an abomination is awesome. Edmonton being an abomination for the past decade was awesome. Either team deserves to be embarrassed whenever possible.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #214
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'm just going to pretend that hockey doesn't exist for the next couple of weeks. That's probably the only appropriate way to deal with this series.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #215
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

My enemies enemy is my friend. Go Anaheim.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #216
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could never cheer for the oilers because of their ####ing smug and obnoxious fans.

They've been the worst franchise in all of pro sports for 10 years. They have one good season and all of a sudden I'm getting texts and emails from ####heads that I've never talked hockey much with before simply because they know I'm a Flames fan. Get a ####ing life you rejects. I never sent them emails and text jokes about the oilers once in the last ten years, not even when the Flames made it to round 2 a couple years ago.

Fans like that deserved every minute of the previous 10 years and they sure as #### didn't deserve getting McDavid on their piece of crap hockey team.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #217
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The only hate on I have for the Ducks is centered around the Flames. They simply dominate the Flames. They have found away to play them and it works so they keep doing it. For everything I hate about the Ducks playing the Flames I will be cheering for them to do to the Oilers at ever opportunity. The only time I will be screaming at Kesler will be when he is not crosschecking McDavid after every faceoff. I will be cheering every whoops, did I do that? that Perry pulls off. I will roar with glee every time Bieksa face washes The Tenderness and draws the oilers big goons into a scrum.

I am hoping for a glorious series win from the Ducks. Screw the Oilers. Screw "Canada's Team". And most importantly screw the oilers!
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #218
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Sure, but lots around here thought the sharks were still going to wreck the Oilers.

Oilers played the Ducks hard in the regular season, winning the head to head series.

I think it will be a close series. Anaheim did not look otherworldly against the flames.
Did you actually watch that series? I get that the Oilers won, but it wasn't exactly a clinic. The Sharks weren't impressive throughout, and even so there were times that they had their way with the Oilers completely. One of the most glorious nights of the first round was the 7-0 drubbing.

I hope that is the Oilers team that shows up for Anaheim.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #219
Soulless Sisters
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I want the Oilers to go far for selfish reasons. It would further validate my theory that the best way for the Canucks to be an elite team again would be to suck hard and land 2 elite/high-end forwards with high draft picks, and then round out the team around them while those players are vastly outperforming their entry-level contracts. It's the only tried and tested formula for success in the salary cap world. Of course, this is all contingent on us cleaning house with the front office OBC much like the Oilers did.

Pittsburgh with Crosby and Malkin (1st and 2nd overall), Chicago with Toews (1st and 3rd overall), Washington with Ovechkin and Backstrom (1st and 4th overall), Edmonton with McDavid and Draisaitl (1st and 3rd overall), and soon Toronto with Matthews and Marner (1st and 4th overall).

If indeed Patrick/Hischier/Vilardi are not the kind of difference-makers that the above forwards are, then I want management to suck wind for another 2 years so we can draft guys like Svechnikov and Hughes in the following two years. By that time, Juolevi and Stecher will have some experience and guys like Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Dahlen will continue growing as a good supporting cast.

Sorry for the OT commentary*
Soulless Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #220
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If I have to choose between the two, I want Anaheim to win; the lesser of two evils.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see how the officiating goes. Does Kesler get to be a jerk to McDavid?
ThisIsAnOutrage is offline   Reply With Quote