Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #201
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
If the need to case the pipe from north of 75th to Southland is identified, it will drive the cost up fast. So it is a legitimate risk to the project that the xirdoes not seem to have an answer to.

Parking is already an issue with the schools and the hospital. These areas are already permit parking and patrols are non-existant, adding bus stops will just exacerbate the issue.
Well I can't comment on the pipeline issue other than what I read about it basically not being a concern at all.

For the parking, if they aren't enforcing it now, shouldn't THAT be the focus of these people, and not whether or not this BRT goes in?
Old 04-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #202
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

ATCO is relocating their high pressure line from 14 Street to the Ring Road and downgrading the current line to a lower pressure distribution line, and may well move it as well due to the project. This has been in the works for several years now and was well publicized (I received notice for the work going on in our area of town).

http://www.atcopipelines.com/upr/Pro...id-Transit-BRT
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #203
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

The complaint about the cost is such a non-issue. The residents presumably have never been up in arms about the cost of infrastructure upgrades in, say, Saddleridge. In fact, if the city came to them today and said "you know guys, we're going to move this whole thing to Macleod Trail but it'll cost double" I'm certain they'd be fine with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #204
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The best place for it would be the empty land between Glenmore Landing and Heritage Park. You could build a nice sprawling complex there that would be an easy walk along the pathway to the hospital.
As someone who worked at HP, no please don't

On one occasion a mental ward patient from Rockyview wandered off and took a dip in the Glenmore. The HP moyie crew and the emergency rescue people rescued her but she died of hypothermia later.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #205
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
The complaint about the cost is such a non-issue. The residents presumably have never been up in arms about the cost of infrastructure upgrades in, say, Saddleridge. In fact, if the city came to them today and said "you know guys, we're going to move this whole thing to Macleod Trail but it'll cost double" I'm certain they'd be fine with it.
If cost is no issue, why did Nenshi, Pincott, and Colley-Urquhart release a joint statement specifically expressing concern about the costs?

http://calgarymayor.ca/stories/joint...est-transitway
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:33 PM   #206
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I mean cost is no issue to the residents themselves. I understand why politicians might be questioning it.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:20 PM   #207
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Whatever. It's not my community, and I'm wiling to bet it's none of you guys that are disregarding these people either. Pretty easy to say that everyone else can suck it up, but I bet that if it was your house being affected, you'd have concerns.

Carry on with your verdict and execution.
It affects my neighbourhood, I'm in Braeside and I am pretty certain that the RTE crowd are a bunch of NIMBY kooks. they have literally littered my community with canvassers, mailers, and flyers in the mailboxes. A lot of their information is cherry picked, dated and/or flat out made up or alarmist type concerns.

It's hard to take a group serious when some of their main concerns are "busses are noisy, crime will sky rocket, cars will have to interact with busses"

There are a few signs in our neighbourhood supporting them but most of the folks here are willing to go through the 3 years of construction to add public infrastructure.

Last edited by gasman; 04-20-2016 at 06:22 PM.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 07:40 PM   #208
stevinder
Backup Goalie

Exp:

An updated version of the sign at the entrance to Eagle Ridge:

EagleRidgeNIMBYs by Steve Perry, on Flickr

Old 04-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #209
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whatever. It's not my community, and I'm wiling to bet it's none of you guys that are disregarding these people either. Pretty easy to say that everyone else can suck it up, but I bet that if it was your house being affected, you'd have concerns.
I've lived in that part of town almost my whole life. So I feel qualified to comment.

This BRT will service Bayview, Pump Hill, Palliser, Oakridge, Braeside, Cedarbrae, Woodland, and Woodbine.

The people who are complaining are in Bayview, Pump Hill, and Palliser. They are mostly old and almost all affluent. Those communities have opposed every development, every change to their roads or community, for over 20 years now. They usually get their way because they're rich and well-connected. They are the people for whom the term NIMBY was invented.

The people actually using the BRT will mainly come from younger and less affluent neighbourhoods of Oakridge, Braeside, Woodbine, even the scum of Cedarbrae. You see little opposition from these communities.

If you want to know how things play out in this part of the city, let me tell you about the school realignment a couple years ago. Some schools were seeing chronically low enrollment, so an analysis was done to assess different options for shifting or consolidating enrollment across five schools that served students in Pump Hill, Bayview, Palliser, Oakridge, Cedarbrae, Braeside, and the Tsuu Tina. Part of the analysis was a survey sent out to parents in the area asking them to select their preferences for various options presented.

Shortly after the survey went out, the school board felt obliged to issue a strongly worded statement declaring that the Calgary School Board serves all children and communities. It seems they got a raft of responses from parents saying they couldn't make a choice of where they wanted their kids to go until they knew where the kids from Tsuu Tina were going to be sent.

So those are the people we're dealing with.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-20-2016 at 08:03 PM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #210
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
My god. There was less fuss when the West LRT line went in, taknig out a school, lots of houses, major roadway changes.....These people need to get over it. Parking problems? Welcome to any community within 5km of downtown, and near any LRT. They have parking zones. It's not rocket science. Sorry, you live in a city. No one has ever guaranteed you the right to a static existence. Things are gonna change. Deal with it.
Yeah, and the building of the West LRT was a real annoyance. Trust me. Still, it has been a great addition and has had a positive influence on our property value.

We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #211
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was an interesting bit of dialogue on twitter last night while someone spoke against the project:

"Speaker against SWBRT dislikes it because she wants a freeway instead. Similar plan killed 20 years ago by same communities fighting SWBRT"

Back then their group was called "A Better Way to Go":

"Within 4 years of this they were advocating ring road via Lakeview. Saving 15 homes in Eagle Ridge to demolish 100+ in Lakeview!"
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #212
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
"Within 4 years of this they were advocating ring road via Lakeview. Saving 15 homes in Eagle Ridge to demolish 100+ in Lakeview!"
I told you guys, this is nothing new.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:20 AM   #213
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

SW Transitway plan referred for more study
Old 04-21-2016, 11:26 AM   #214
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum_PI View Post
Well whaddya know. Guess they must have raised enough valid points.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #215
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Or loud and annoying enough.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #216
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like I said, nothing new. They have money. They have influence. They organize. They win. I knew when I saw their glossy campaign material that the city was in tough against these guys.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-21-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #217
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Or loud and annoying enough.
Yep, they're all just a bunch of stupid, annoying, rich white guys.

Social Justice Warriors Unite!
The Following User Says Thank You to Wiggum_PI For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 04-21-2016, 12:05 PM   #218
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep, they're all just a bunch of stupid, annoying, rich white guys.

Social Justice Warriors Unite!
They're not annoying because they're old and rich. They're annoying because they have contempt for anyone who uses public transit, and they fiercely resist any changes to their neighbourhood, no matter how many other people it will help. They're remarkably selfish people. The rich part comes into play because money enables them to make their selfishness influential.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #219
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
They're not annoying because they're old and rich. They're annoying because they have contempt for anyone who uses public transit, and they fiercely resist any changes to their neighbourhood, no matter how many other people it will help. They're remarkably selfish people. The rich part comes into play because money enables them to make their selfishness influential.
So all 60 points being referred back to the planning people are because they have influence due to money? Does this include the concerns brought up by Councillors and even Nenshi?
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #220
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well whaddya know. Guess they must have raised enough valid points.
And when everything gets answered with actual evidence, science and additional studies/reports, I'll be here waiting to hear from you about how they weren't consulted.

I took a look at some of these points, and it'll take any transportation engineer at the city a month to shoot down all of the concerns.
Regorium is online now   Reply With Quote