Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2024, 06:00 PM   #2161
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What else could Conroy say? We are just hanging out, not really interested in winning?

Anyway, thanks to the wizard, the Flames are not competitive for at least 5 years, maybe more if they are not drafting right.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:01 PM   #2162
Flamesfan1977
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Oh I think the people are aware of that, but that won't stop people from questioning the strategy or the results. This is not a very good Flames team right now, we are going to have to figure it out if they want to be competitive and in the playoffs. Vancouver has some decent coaching which does make a difference..
It is not a very good team. But it is also not horrible. But I will gladly take what we have now compared to what we had for teams in the late 90’s.
Flamesfan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:03 PM   #2163
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think people realize the work that is required to get us out of the bottom 10 of the league, forget the playoffs.

Rebuilds or sorry retools are painful, and sometimes just sometimes they don’t work out and you have to start over again.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:05 PM   #2164
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
His actions speak louder than his words. He traded our top pairing defenceman for a 1st round pick in 2026 and a project player.

What is he supposed to tell the media? Yeah guys I gutted the roster for picks and prospects, and expect a lot of pain and losing going forward.
2nd pairing defenseman and what choice did he have? The player didn't want to stay.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:06 PM   #2165
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan1977 View Post
It is not a very good team. But it is also not horrible. But I will gladly take what we have now compared to what we had for teams in the late 90’s.
I don't think it's horrible either, I just hope the Flames figure it out, winning the lottery would be a start. So far Conroy is showing he has a good eye for talent, would be interesting to see what else he can pull off.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:07 PM   #2166
Rhett44
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
2nd pairing defenseman and what choice did he have? The player didn't want to stay.
Nobody seems to want to stay here except for the bad players like Backlund.

Hopefully, we can become competitive and buck the trend of players not wanting to be here.
Rhett44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:08 PM   #2167
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett44 View Post
In what year? 2029?

This team is not making the playoffs lol.
You never know, if they are really lucky and nobody took them seriously, they may sneak in once in awhile but then it would be a waste of 7 days.

Key is to build the next core through the draft with or without luck

Forget retool, it’s lip service, they ain’t going to find core pieces outside of the drafts
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:10 PM   #2168
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know what to say.

The last 2 years everyone has complained how bad Huberdeau, Kadri, Mangiapane and Backlund are.

We have subtracted from the team but they remain. We haven’t added single thing to them. All of a sudden we aren’t horrible anymore lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 06:16 PM   #2169
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
You never know, if they are really lucky and nobody took them seriously, they may sneak in once in awhile but then it would be a waste of 7 days.

Key is to build the next core through the draft with or without luck

Forget retool, it’s lip service, they ain’t going to find core pieces outside of the drafts
I agree with this, you don't want to be grabbing young players that are kind of middling pieces only to find out later you don't have enough horses to get there. Every team that drafts ahead of us has an opportunity to grab a better player.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 06:16 PM   #2170
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
They are not rebuilding, they are retooling on the fly. I am not surprised you are confused.
They don’t have the players to do a retool.

Call it what you want, but they are rebuilding. The Dallas model means hoping you get lucky with draft picks. So, presumably they will use their picks and hope they get lucky. That’s not retooling in the case of Calgary.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 06:17 PM   #2171
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I don’t know what to say.

The last 2 years everyone has complained how bad Huberdeau, Kadri, Mangiapane and Backlund are.

We have subtracted from the team but they remain. We haven’t added single thing to them. All of a sudden we aren’t horrible anymore lol.
Yeah, the roster is now worse and the players are going to get older after a good chunk of them over performed last year. Adding a top four dman doesn’t make much of a difference when they lost two last heart. The only way they are a playoff team next year is if they win the lottery and then multiple prospects step into top 6 and top 4 roles. I’ll load up on lottery tickets if that happens lol.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:19 PM   #2172
Rhett44
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

Call it what you want, but they are rebuilding. The Dallas model means hoping you get lucky with draft picks. So, presumably they will use their picks and hope they get lucky. That’s not retooling in the case of Calgary.
Some people seem to think we should retool around an aging Kadri, Huberdeau and Backlund. It makes zero sense to me.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:20 PM   #2173
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also dissentowner you said Huska is terrible coach. What makes you think that changes with a worse roster ?
Old 04-30-2024, 06:20 PM   #2174
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan1977 View Post
Hello Flames fans! Looooong time reader but never post. I do need to say that all of you who believe they need to tank….It is not happening. Conroy has already stated time and again the goal is playoffs. It really gets to be a broken record when it’s the same argument over and over.

One trouble with that. By next trade deadline the following players could be out as well and if they leave or most if them were a bottom five team no matter what anyone thinks.

Kadri may not want to rebuild
Backs may chase a cup
Sharangovich and kuzmenko on expiring contracts
Markstrom
Mangiapane
Anderson

Lose most of them their is not much left.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:21 PM   #2175
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The players we subtracted were mostly awful to begin with and they will be replaced by young determined players with good potential to produce if given the opportunity (eg. Pelletier, Zary, Posposil, Coronato, Wolf, Poirier? Brzustewicz?) It's addition by subtraction.

Also look at resurgence of players like Kuzmenko and Sharangovich when given a bigger role.

So no, I do not think we will be awful.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHawk12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 06:23 PM   #2176
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

Yeah, it reminds me of Feaster and his talking points right as they entered a rebuild and bottomed out for three years.

Substitute Conroy for Feaster and tweak the dates etc and it’s almost the same message.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/nothi...e-the-playoffs
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...agency/?sn-amp
Old 04-30-2024, 06:24 PM   #2177
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've always been of the opinion that it is just as difficult to be top 3 in the league as it is to be bottom 3. Add on top of that lottery luck and the fact that this franchise doesn't believe in tanking, I can understand why we've never picked higher than 4th OA.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:25 PM   #2178
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
The players we subtracted were mostly awful to begin with and they will be replaced by young determined players with good potential to produce if given the opportunity (eg. Pelletier, Zary, Posposil, Coronato, Wolf, Poirier? Brzustewicz?) It's addition by subtraction.

Also look at resurgence of players like Kuzmenko and Sharangovich when given a bigger role.

So no, I do not think we will be awful.
lol Hanifin, Tanev, Toffoli, and Lindholm are not awful players.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 06:27 PM   #2179
Rhett44
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
lol Hanifin, Tanev, Toffoli, and Lindholm are not awful players.
4 of our best players leave and a great depth dman in Zadorov and it was addition by subtraction somehow.

Also, there is a reason players like Kuzmenko and Sharangovich were healthy scratches often on good teams. I like both players but they are a bit one dimensional. Although I think Sharo has improved a lot this year.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:29 PM   #2180
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett44 View Post
4 of our best players leave and a great depth dman in Zadorov and it was addition by subtraction somehow.

Also, there is a reason players like Kuzmenko and Sharangovich were healthy scratches often on good teams. I like both players but they are a bit one dimensional. Although I think Sharo has improved a lot this year.
Kuzmenko sure but how on Earth do you call Sharangovich one dimensional?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good