Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #2161
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Ornstein is probably the most reliable football journalist in England, especially when it comes to Arsenal. This one's dusted.

Emery is an interesting choice, not sure what to make of it. Will also be interesting to see what Chelsea does ... speculation is that Napoli coach Maurizio Sarri will take over, and that's certainly something I do not want to see.
I saw that, that would be a good hire for them so I dont want to see them do that.

Unai Emery though....that seems like a lateral move at best.

It kind of feels like they missed out on Tuchel and then just threw their hands up and hired 'whoever.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #2162
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I saw that, that would be a good hire for them so I dont want to see them do that.

Unai Emery though....that seems like a lateral move at best.

It kind of feels like they missed out on Tuchel and then just threw their hands up and hired 'whoever.'
yeah it doesn't seem like the most inspiring hire, but I wouldn't be surprised if it worked. He was highly rated at Sevilla, and he brings a bit of experience. That appointment is a lot safer than the likes of Arteta, Buvac and so on, who would have been complete wildcards.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #2163
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yeah it doesn't seem like the most inspiring hire, but I wouldn't be surprised if it worked. He was highly rated at Sevilla, and he brings a bit of experience. That appointment is a lot safer than the likes of Arteta, Buvac and so on, who would have been complete wildcards.
They cant have our Buvac! Leggo my Zeljko!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #2164
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Safe. Bland. Vanilla.

I’m seriously underwhelmed by this appointment.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #2165
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame
Safe. Bland. Vanilla.

I’m seriously underwhelmed by this appointment.
Would you have prefered Arteta? Honestly curious.

Maybe it's because pretty much every one of Fergusons assistant managers failed on their own, but I just never expect a great managers assistant to become a great manager himself. Being a number 2 is so much easier than being in the spotlight yourself.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #2166
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would you have prefered Arteta? Honestly curious.

Maybe it's because pretty much every one of Fergusons assistant managers failed on their own, but I just never expect a great managers assistant to become a great manager himself. Being a number 2 is so much easier than being in the spotlight yourself.
Its kind of odd because the list of people being looked at for the vacant post was not exactly awe-inspiring.

Arteta, Zeljko, Emery obviously, but what really big names were out there that would be sure to be better?

Pelligrini would have been good, or they could have tried hard for Benitez.

I'm guessing that Arsenal are likely going to go into a down-swing for a few years, nothing major, but performances tend to dip after the removal of a long-term manager, its going to be an adjustment period.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #2167
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I would have been happier with Arteta. Serious answer.

A lot of people whose opinion I respect speak very highly of him. Sure it would have been a big risk, but with him as part of a team with Mislintat and Fahmy lowers the risk with a high potential upside if what people are saying about Arteta is correct.

Anyways, while I am underwhelmed, I hope I’m wrong and it is a big success.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #2168
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arsenal have their Juande Ramos!
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 06:15 PM   #2169
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://mobile.twitter.com/davidjaca...40401555828738

Quote:
David Cartlidge
@davidjaca
Let’s talk about Emery...
Overall, Emery an underwhelming appointment, doesn't really profess good or winning football. Too pragmatic, dogged by stubbornness with his systems.

Arteta was exciting due to being an unknown, the freshness of him starting his coaching career was intriguing. If you don’t go down that road, you go elite. Emery is not elite, always in the rung under that. Maybe one even further below.

Get ready for the video sessions, Arsenal players. And lots of them. Joaquin’s famous anecdote is that ‘Emery played so many videos, I ran out of popcorn’. Can exhaust players, suck out their motivation etc.
David Cartlidge

Often guilty of poor in-game management. Few coaches can snatch a loss or draw from the jaws of victory like Emery. Let’s not even get on to what happens when he faces teams that go down to ten men

In terms of discipline, we are talking about a severe lack of authority. Valencia players walked all over them, and he was not even dealing with stars. At PSG, notoriously passive. Wonder how long it will take Arsenal squad to figure it out.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #2170
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm unsure about it, can't say I've watched Emery manage much.
I get that it's not the sexy choice, but I'm ok with that part of it. Having won a number of trophies and having success in Europe, he may be exactly what Arsenal needs right now.

May help stop the bleeding and go the Viera or Arteta route a couple years from now when they're actually ready.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:20 AM   #2171
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man Uniteds first summer signing is Shakhtar Donezk midfielder Fred. Di Marzio says a €50m deal has been struck.

Don't know how good he is. Just saw he's just 1,69m tall ... not your typical Mourinho signing.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:53 AM   #2172
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Man Uniteds first summer signing is Shakhtar Donezk midfielder Fred. Di Marzio says a €50m deal has been struck.

Don't know how good he is. Just saw he's just 1,69m tall ... not your typical Mourinho signing.
Yeah, but you haven't considered the possibility that he's gonna play on Fellaini's shoulders.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:08 AM   #2173
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Yeah, but you haven't considered the possibility that he's gonna play on Fellaini's shoulders.
perfect, another set of elbows! We'll be unstoppable!
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 09:01 AM   #2174
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poch signed a new 5 year deal with a big raise, telegraph has story up

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football....co/hjumBOB6Lv
Old 05-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #2175
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely good for Spurs to get him locked in long term. Not that contracts really matter anymore, but still good.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #2176
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Poch signed a new 5 year deal with a big raise, telegraph has story up

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football....co/hjumBOB6Lv
I'm super happy about this. To me this is the absolute key, and he has worked wonders with a limited budget and restrictions in terms of the wage structure. There was a rumour that he would sign if Levy was prepared to financially back him in the transfer market, so hopefully that is a sign of this as well.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #2177
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm super happy about this. To me this is the absolute key, and he has worked wonders with a limited budget and restrictions in terms of the wage structure. There was a rumour that he would sign if Levy was prepared to financially back him in the transfer market, so hopefully that is a sign of this as well.
Rumours abound that they're targeting Bale and Martial. I think Bale is a pipe dream but I would be incredibly excited if they were able to get it done.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:32 AM   #2178
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Martial should be doable in a swap involving either Alderweireld or Rose (United probably adds a little). Bale is too unreliable with staying healthy to commit anything serious to acquire him.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:46 AM   #2179
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Martial should be doable in a swap involving either Alderweireld or Rose (United probably adds a little). Bale is too unreliable with staying healthy to commit anything serious to acquire him.
lol

highly doubt they'll let Martial move within the PL. They'll just buy Alderweireld for a ton of money and Spurs will replace him with someone younger, cheaper and better.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #2180
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Martial really worth more than £50 million when his manager has no interest in keeping him? I don't think he is. Alderweireld and Rose are worth that much because of market. It would be nice to see Spurs show a set and refuse to let United bowl them over. But they'll probably fold because that stadium debt isn't gonna pay itself.