Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2024, 10:47 PM   #2161
Rhett44
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Kuzmenko has all the potential in the world, but it seems he has effort/consistency issues.

A few games ago some fans were calling to healthy scratch him, and now some are asking us to re sign him long term.

He will be 29 when an extension kicks in, it doesn't make sense to extend him unless it's really cheap or short term. I think you try to get a return for him at next year's deadline (provided he stays motivated enough to contribute).
Rhett44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:50 PM   #2162
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a player that has two extremes to him, and not much in between.

He would be maddening for fans long term. I'm happy to have him on board for next season though. Hope he tears it up with all the PP time and goes on to win a cup with a contender (and shouts out the Flames after he does it).
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:51 PM   #2163
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

He just like huselius. You play him to his strengths.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CFO For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 11:05 PM   #2164
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
He would be maddening for fans long term.
I think he's only maddening if he's too far up the lineup because of a lack of depth. A player like this that hangs out on the powerplay and bounces around between the second and third lines is found money when they are producing for spells.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:05 PM   #2165
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFO View Post
He just like huselius. You play him to his strengths.
Hooli-gules.
Thats a really good comparison. I remember the team skills competition decades ago and that guy would explode the place.

I still think kuzy was a cap dump the team should have gotten more for but the market is what it is.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:15 PM   #2166
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I remember Huselius being a decent PKer and stud PPer.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:49 PM   #2167
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
I remember Huselius being a decent PKer and stud PPer.
I remember Huselius being able to hold onto the puck better than anybody except Jarome in the offensive zone.

Really, only Gaudreau and Backlund have been close to Juice in this regard over the last 18 years.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 01:33 AM   #2168
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I remember Huselius being able to hold onto the puck better than anybody except Jarome in the offensive zone.

Really, only Gaudreau and Backlund have been close to Juice in this regard over the last 18 years.
Backlund? He's not close to Juice or the Dweeb in the offensive zone at all!
Old 04-04-2024, 06:19 AM   #2169
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kuzmenko is a talented player but given his inconsistent effort not a player you sign long term. Canucks had the right idea signing him for only two seasons. Had they signed him for 4 or more seasons he would still be on their roster today.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 06:36 AM   #2170
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that a lot of Kuzmenko's inconsistency can be attributed to it only being his 2nd season in the NHL. Moreover, the language barrier, the move, the injuries/sickness since coming to CGY could've been a part of the struggle.

I enjoy watching him play, and I think there's a decent chance he tightens things up defensively.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 06:47 AM   #2171
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's a professional hockey player so I don't think you can make excuses for his inconsistency. I'm fairly certain that if he was signed long term that a lot of the people that like him now would turn on him as becomes the next whipping boy. Happened with Mangiapane and you can't even question his effort as it's more that he was signed after a career season and since then has reverted to the player he is.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:10 AM   #2172
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's a professional hockey player so I don't think you can make excuses for his inconsistency. I'm fairly certain that if he was signed long term that a lot of the people that like him now would turn on him as becomes the next whipping boy. Happened with Mangiapane and you can't even question his effort as it's more that he was signed after a career season and since then has reverted to the player he is.
A lot of professional hockey players look better after a couple of years in the league. I think you can make that case for 90% of players in the league.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:22 AM   #2173
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's 28 years old, not a rookie. He's played 8 seasons in the KHL and is a finished product. This is what he is.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 07:28 AM   #2174
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kuzmenko should absolutely be a pump and dump player. Give him lots of great opportunities next year and hopefully be able to secure a 2nd or more for him at the deadline.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:29 AM   #2175
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

It’s smart because the KHL is the exact same as the NHL, everybody knows that. It’s also true that Kuzmenko is a finished product this year (well, the time he spent in Vancouver this year is a finished product, last year and the time he’s spent in Calgary, both instances in which he’s actually played really well, don’t count).
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 08:26 AM   #2176
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the inconsistency label is overblown. I think he's as consistent as other players on this bottom 10 team that don't get talked about.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:53 AM   #2177
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
I think the inconsistency label is overblown. I think he's as consistent as other players on this bottom 10 team that don't get talked about.
Disagree, the root cause of his inconsistency is clearly different IMO. Inconsistency is usually what separates the really good players, average players and the bad players. For most players, that inconsistency is driven by a lack of skill (when I say skill I don't necessarily mean top end offensive skill, just ability in general). Kuzmenko's inconsistency doesn't stem from a lack of skill or ability, it's mindset and will.

That's why it gets talked about. He actually could be better consistently based on his ability.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:01 AM   #2178
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Something has to be going on with him. He's a great player that has played poorly for a while, inexplicably. Never seen so many players in the league leave for "player assistance program" reasons and I imagine there are a lot more in waiting. Representing the rest of the populace whose mental health is waning.

Yes, obviously just a wild ass guess by myself.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:13 AM   #2179
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Kuzmenko should absolutely be a pump and dump player. Give him lots of great opportunities next year and hopefully be able to secure a 2nd or more for him at the deadline.
100%, even a 3rd or 4th. He has "going back to the KHL" written all over him. Get what you can before he heads back home. IMO
Old 04-04-2024, 09:42 AM   #2180
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

If his name was Mark Smith I wonder if even 20% of these comments would be getting made.
Five-hole is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post: