Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #2141
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really miss the quality packaging from genesis days. I remember one year the stuff included was crazy, Madden 92 or 93ish. They had full team rosters and ratings, just an insane amount of stuff. I was killing it with the Packers that year. God sports games were good back then. Now they're such hot garbage. I'm a sports game hipster it seems.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #2142
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Can we make a separate console history thread? This is extremely off topic.
Omg, we're almost done sharing - calm down.

On Monday more news will surely surface on how much better PS4 is than Xbone.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lego Man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #2143
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Can we make a separate console history thread? This is extremely off topic.
Gaming needs it's own sub-forum. The two mega-threads squished into Tech Talk is a little silly.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #2144
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

There used to be separate threads for the PS4 and Xbox One, and there's lots of individual threads for different games and such, no one is requiring there to be just two megathreads...
Old 02-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #2145
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:

Xbox One’s eSRAM Too Small to Output Games At 1080p But Will Catch up to PS4 – Rebellion Games
Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-ones-esra...H3m75ZzALbo.99

Much has been said and written about the Xbox One’s eSRAM. While it doesn’t approach the power offered by the PS4′s unified architecture – and has even been blamed for Xbox One titles being unable to run at 60 FPS and 1080p – many developers have defended it. After all, this is the beginning of the new generation – as a developer’s understanding of the hardware improves, so does the visual quality of the games.
Rebellion Games’ Jean-Baptiste Bolcato, who is working as a Senior Producer on the upcoming Sniper Elite 3, had some interesting opinions about that though. GamingBolt spoke to him about Sniper Elite 3′s Xbox One development and asked how the team was handling eSRAM. Some developers use it for texture streaming, storing z-buffer and praise its ease of use while others have problems – how is Rebellion handling that?
Bolcato stated that, “It was clearly a bit more complicated to extract the maximum power from the Xbox One when you’re trying to do that. I think eSRAM is easy to use. The only problem is…Part of the problem is that it’s just a little bit too small to output 1080p within that size. It’s such a small size within there that we can’t do everything in 1080p with that little buffer of super-fast RAM.
“It means you have to do it in chunks or using tricks, tiling it and so on. It’s a bit like the reverse of the PS3. PS3 was harder to program for than the Xbox 360. Now it seems like everything has reversed but it doesn’t mean it’s far less powerful – it’s just a pain in the ass to start with. We are on fine ground now but the first few months were hell.”
Will the process become easier over time as understanding of the hardware improves? “Definitely, yeah. They are releasing a new SDK that’s much faster and we will be comfortably running at 1080p on Xbox One. We were worried six months ago and we are not anymore, it’s got better and they are quite comparable machines. The Xbox One is a bit more multimedia, a bit more hub-centric so its a bit more complex. There’s stuff you can and can’t do because it’s a sort of multimedia hub. PS4 doesn’t have that. PS4 is just a games machine.”
The PS4 is thus more of a gaming machine in its core focus. “Yeah, I mean that’s probably why, well at least on paper, it’s a bit more powerful. But I think the Xbox One is gonna catch up. But definitely there’s this eSRAM. PS4 has 8GB and it’s almost as fast as eSRAM [bandwidth wise] but at the same time you can go a little bit further with it, because you don’t have this slower memory. That’s also why you don’t have that many games running in 1080p, because you have to make it smaller, for what you can fit into the eSRAM with the Xbox One.”
Despite the challenges, Rebellion Games are working closely with Microsoft and Sony while developing Sniper Elite 3. They are currently targeting 60fps for both the console versions. It is also interesting to note that Bolcato reveals that a new SDK update is on its way that will improve performance on the Xbox One. What that update will exactly do is still currently unknown or may be it’s the driver update that we reported about a month ago. Stay tuned for more details on Sniper Elite 3, including gameplay mechanics and the differences between current and next gen versions.

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/xbox-ones-esra...H3m75ZzALbo.99
Like the article says its a reversal of last gen
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #2146
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Like the article says its a reversal of last gen
If that stays true, then eventually you'll likely see Xbox One exclusives that look and perform just as well as anything on PS4, but when developers have to port to multiple platforms the Xbox will still lag behind. Even now, for last-gen multiplatform games the 360 is still the better choice over PS3. The power is there, but unless you're devoted to only that platform developers just don't have the time or resources to take full advantage of it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #2147
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting items. Apparently he does custom jobs as well.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #2148
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego Man View Post

Calm down? I was just asking a question.

Fanboys are a touchy bunch I guess.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #2149
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might be a nice jump for a decent business. I don't have any complaints about the light bar myself but being able to customize with just a sticker does look pretty nifty.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #2150
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego Man View Post

i missed that news. i also missed the news where one console got many new releases and the other one didn't.

but the news that i did hear on tuesday was how the microsoft console got another software release to add functionality and fix some missing or inexplicably dropped items. from what i have read, some of these items were dropped to meet the ship date, which has long been how software has shipped and specifically how microsoft has done it.

i'm pleased for owners of both consoles though; any functionality that gets added, if it is of enough value, will inevitably get picked up by the other manufacturer. i'm hoping one of them does dlna properly soon.

i expect that microsoft will move to small updates rather than waiting for major iterations; this is consistent with their approach on other platforms. i don't know enough about sony's approach with this gen to compare.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #2151
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another universal title, Evolve has released a trailer also with the ending mention a Fall 2014 release date.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #2152
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xbone stereo headset adapter for $25 and wired stereo headset for $80. Release in March.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/02/11/xb...e-early-march/
Old 02-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #2153
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So, do we know if PS4 does network streaming at all yet?

Is it still just a big gaming box?

Heard there aren't cloakers in xbox version of Payday, considering buying console just for that.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #2154
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
So, do we know if PS4 does network streaming at all yet?

Is it still just a big gaming box?

Heard there aren't cloakers in xbox version of Payday, considering buying console just for that.

Payday 2? Payday 2 isn't on XB1 or PS4.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #2155
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Payday 2? Payday 2 isn't on XB1 or PS4.
But you do you get Payday 2 for free via Playstation Plus starting today (or is it tomorrow?)

Just half a year after release!
Old 02-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #2156
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Xbone stereo headset adapter for $25 and wired stereo headset for $80. Release in March.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/02/11/xb...e-early-march/
What bothers me is that microsoft could have had an adapter ready to go at drop. Why didn't they? instead you have people hacking your adapters and doing it for free.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #2157
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, they are a business after all and are looking to make some money. I'm a little worried about the build quality from the Major Nelson vine - but that's tough to say from just the picture.

https://vine.co/v/MWPYXrFa6wZ
Old 02-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #2158
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't be any worse than the earbud Sony sent with the PS4.

I really should pick something better up, any suggestions?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #2159
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Can't be any worse than the earbud Sony sent with the PS4.

I really should pick something better up, any suggestions?
I have an Elite Pulse headset that I got for my PS3 and they just released an update to make it compatible with the PS4. I love it. They go on sale for around 100 bucks from time to time and retail around 150 now. Might be cheaper since the next gen came out though.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #2160
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
I have an Elite Pulse headset that I got for my PS3 and they just released an update to make it compatible with the PS4. I love it. They go on sale for around 100 bucks from time to time and retail around 150 now. Might be cheaper since the next gen came out though.
The new Gold Edition (technically just the PS4 version) is out for $100.

Last edited by Anduril; 02-11-2014 at 06:54 PM.