Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2021, 05:31 PM   #2121
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
You're welcome, thanks for the quick and painless sale.

The support thing around Windows 11 is frustrating as someone who owns a Surface Go LTE that will not officially receive Windows 11 (LTE SKU was released in late November 2018). However, it appears that the 'Insider Program' loophole will remain for people who want to run Windows 11 anyways, with the caveat that it will not be a configuration supported by the product group, so no support. So I plan on continuing to run it anyway.
Microsoft just confirmed that users will be free to install Windows 11 on older hardware manually, which is good to see

https://www.theverge.com/22644194/mi...essors-changes
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:04 PM   #2122
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've been running Win11 for a month or so on a ZenBook Flip S and it runs really well. They've added some nice refinements and ever change seems positive.

I might try the ISO on an older build to see what happens.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:05 PM   #2123
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Cross linking with the TV thread - the 48 (previous gen) is the best gaming monitor I've ever had. Not for everybody though.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1431240772507115524
I could spend two grand on a new TV or I could follow Psycnet and build a new PC for the living room, where I already have a 65" OLED. I have half the parts I need lying around. I just need a video card.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #2124
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Microsoft just confirmed that users will be free to install Windows 11 on older hardware manually, which is good to see

https://www.theverge.com/22644194/mi...essors-changes
Yup — I think the long-term question mark is if you’ll receive updates if you install that way without joining the insider program.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:02 PM   #2125
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Yup — I think the long-term question mark is if you’ll receive updates if you install that way without joining the insider program.
Windows update doesn't look at PC specs at all, the only thing that does right now is the Windows 11 upgrade installer. You can join the insider program with an ancient PC and it will download Win 11 no problem, it's only when the installer runs that it tells you it's not compatible. If you can get Win 11 on your PC, windows update should work fine. Hell Microsoft even pushes out updates to unlicensed installs just to prevent them from becoming a security nightmare
Old 08-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #2126
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Windows update doesn't look at PC specs at all, the only thing that does right now is the Windows 11 upgrade installer. You can join the insider program with an ancient PC and it will download Win 11 no problem, it's only when the installer runs that it tells you it's not compatible. If you can get Win 11 on your PC, windows update should work fine. Hell Microsoft even pushes out updates to unlicensed installs just to prevent them from becoming a security nightmare
Speaking from experience, Windows Update does check and is fully aware when you're on unsupported hardware for Windows 11; if you pick the Windows Insider Dev branch when running a Windows 11-unsupported processor on Windows 10, the Insider Program will display a warning message in Windows Update even before you download the OS. What WU won't actively do is stop you from downloading or installing it. And it doesn't display the message in Settings once you're on Windows 11.

Old 08-28-2021, 10:00 PM   #2127
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking from experience, Windows Update does check and is fully aware when you're on unsupported hardware for Windows 11; if you pick the Windows Insider Dev branch when running a Windows 11-unsupported processor on Windows 10, the Insider Program will display a warning message in Windows Update even before you download the OS. What WU won't actively do is stop you from downloading or installing it. And it doesn't display the message in Settings once you're on Windows 11.
Exactly, it's not Windows Update telling you you can't update, it's the Windows Insider page. Windows Update DGAF, it will push out whatever updates are available/subscribed for your current operating system and let the updates themselves sort it out later. You won't have to worry about not being able to update Windows 11 if you get it installed on a particular machine
Old 08-29-2021, 12:04 PM   #2128
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, I promise, Windows Update does GAF and it is system aware. There are often times when updates will be delayed to certain hardware configurations due to said configurations experiencing blocking bugs, while sometimes entire processor families will be ineligible to receive an update (meaning you won't be offered the update through WU). This happened with early Intel Atom processors around the time of the Creators Update in Windows 10. I had a Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T that wouldn't get offered Creators Update through normal means or Insider rings, and wouldn't install if I tried to force the issue by downloading the update manually.

Windows Insider is just one of many flighting rings in Windows Update that largely ignores these checks, but that's not to say it always will. Whenever Windows 11 moves from Build 22000 to the next major build, there's a solid possibility some machines won't be offered it without switching to an Insider ring. And even then, switching to an Insider ring might not work a la Creators Update on early Atom.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 08-29-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:23 PM   #2129
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlAcKNoVa View Post
I bought the EVGA FTW3 3080 TI with the 850 watt PSU bundle a few days ago. I've had a couple random PC shutdowns though. Both times it has happened I haven't been under much load at all. The first time it happened was last night, was editing a video in Vegas Pro, but not actually rendering yet. Thought the power went off in the house but it was just the PC. Second time was early this morning, was watching youtube before bed and it shut off once again. Both times the temps were completely fine (in the 40's). I was on Cyberpunk for 4 hrs the first night with the card and had no issues with everything maxed in gamed.

Only thing I've read that could be the issue is the card power spikes too much causing the PSU to shut off. I haven't OC it or anything, no need to.

As for the other discussion going on, I have a B550 Aorus Pro with a Ryzen 5800x and have no complaints so far. Seems like a perfect combination.
Was this a bundle with a Gigabyte PSU by any chance?

Newegg has been in the news for pairing some horribly reviewed power supplies with graphics cards to move them out since they're probably having a hard time selling them on their own.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021...te-gpu-buyers/
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:01 PM   #2130
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
No, I promise, Windows Update does GAF and it is system aware. There are often times when updates will be delayed to certain hardware configurations due to said configurations experiencing blocking bugs, while sometimes entire processor families will be ineligible to receive an update (meaning you won't be offered the update through WU). This happened with early Intel Atom processors around the time of the Creators Update in Windows 10. I had a Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T that wouldn't get offered Creators Update through normal means or Insider rings, and wouldn't install if I tried to force the issue by downloading the update manually.

Windows Insider is just one of many flighting rings in Windows Update that largely ignores these checks, but that's not to say it always will. Whenever Windows 11 moves from Build 22000 to the next major build, there's a solid possibility some machines won't be offered it without switching to an Insider ring. And even then, switching to an Insider ring might not work a la Creators Update on early Atom.
Ya you're right, I just ran across this article saying that Microsoft may not let older machines update if they install Win 11 manually

https://www.engadget.com/microsoft-w...194632054.html

Which seems ridiculous to me. If you have to install 11 manually because your machine isn't supported, then you're well aware of any potential risks and don't have a leg to stand on if a Windows 11 update breaks something. I hope they implement a disclaimer of some kind that lets you join the regular update channel on old hardware
Old 08-30-2021, 10:44 AM   #2131
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya you're right, I just ran across this article saying that Microsoft may not let older machines update if they install Win 11 manually

https://www.engadget.com/microsoft-w...194632054.html

Which seems ridiculous to me. If you have to install 11 manually because your machine isn't supported, then you're well aware of any potential risks and don't have a leg to stand on if a Windows 11 update breaks something. I hope they implement a disclaimer of some kind that lets you join the regular update channel on old hardware
Preaching to the choir man.

There are still potential ways for enthusiasts to apply patches that WU refuses to present (uupdump.net) provided the .MSU doesn't enforce the same hardware checks that the appraiser uses to prevent the OS from installing in the first place, and using DISM with the .CAB may get around that too. It isn't something you're going to want to do on your parents' PC at home, but then again they shouldn't be running an enthusiast configuration in the first place if you want to keep your sanity.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:58 PM   #2132
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I spilled water on my keyboard and I think it's dead. What's the best mechanical gaming keyboard out there now? The K100 with Cherry MX switches looks to be tops.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:29 PM   #2133
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I spilled water on my keyboard and I think it's dead. What's the best mechanical gaming keyboard out there now? The K100 with Cherry MX switches looks to be tops.
I love my Corsair K70 Mk.2. Cherry MX Silent Red switches with damper rings are my favorite setup.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 04:54 PM   #2134
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
I love my Corsair K70 Mk.2. Cherry MX Silent Red switches with damper rings are my favorite setup.
That's the one I killed. It worked great until it fried.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:26 PM   #2135
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I got a Logitech ERGO K860 after the 'a' key on my Microsoft Surface Ergonomic keyboard died and I got tired of only turning right in games.

I must say the multiple Bluetooth pairing feature is killer. Working from home I have my work laptop and my main PC setup on the same desk and connected to my main monitor. I've used 2 keyboards (I hate using laptop keyboards, especially the previous gen MBP ones, terrible) until now. Now a single button and I'm paired to one or the other. It must stayed paired with each constantly as there's zero delay from pressing the button to switch and being able to type.

Also like the wrist rest a bit better as the other one was that Alcantara material and eventually it got discoloured despite cleaning it constantly. Couldn't even replace it .

I've moved away from Logitech mice after having a number of switch failures and their RMA process becoming extreme, hopefully this keyboard holds up.

(Yes not a mechanical keyboard, nerd cred decreased)
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 06:16 PM   #2136
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I got a Logitech ERGO K860 after the 'a' key on my Microsoft Surface Ergonomic keyboard died and I got tired of only turning right in games.

I must say the multiple Bluetooth pairing feature is killer. Working from home I have my work laptop and my main PC setup on the same desk and connected to my main monitor. I've used 2 keyboards (I hate using laptop keyboards, especially the previous gen MBP ones, terrible) until now. Now a single button and I'm paired to one or the other. It must stayed paired with each constantly as there's zero delay from pressing the button to switch and being able to type.

Also like the wrist rest a bit better as the other one was that Alcantara material and eventually it got discoloured despite cleaning it constantly. Couldn't even replace it .

I've moved away from Logitech mice after having a number of switch failures and their RMA process becoming extreme, hopefully this keyboard holds up.

(Yes not a mechanical keyboard, nerd cred decreased)
That's a nice, clean-looking keyboard. Non-mechanical isn't a deal-breaker as long as the keys feel good.

Bluetooth with different computers would be handy. I'm using my Microsoft wireless keyboard I had in the living room and having no cables is really nice.

Alcantara is the most over-rated crap. It doesn't belong anywhere but in supercars.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 06:30 AM   #2137
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny you bring it up. My wife is sick of sharing an office with my Eagle mechanical, which is basically a modernized version of an old IBM clicker. It's loud, it's got a great tactile feel for typing up long reports, and it's heavy as hell.

I enjoy the Logitech G910 Orion Spark I have on my gaming PC, but wanted something a bit more compact. The G513 looked like a good option, but they don't make it with the Romer (quiet) switches anymore!

Ended up buying a refurb Romer G513, should be here today. I really like the feel of Romers and my wife like less noise so hopefully it's not full of toenail clippings or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 10:07 AM   #2138
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I could spend two grand on a new TV or I could follow Psycnet and build a new PC for the living room, where I already have a 65" OLED. I have half the parts I need lying around. I just need a video card.
I built a living room rig and it was a great decision. I do need to upgrade my TV soon though. As long as you're not a huge FPS guy, most of the games requiring a keyboard and mouse can be played pretty adequately with a Steam controller.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #2139
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Any suggestions for a good wireless media keyboard (keyboard+trackpad for use on a TV)? The Logitech K400 I have is really bad and I need to find something else.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #2140
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Either the Corsair K83 or Logitech K830. Both are solid HTPC keyboards.

Got the G513, it's stellar. Romer actuation is excellent and the look and weight of the keyboard is awesome. I didn't realize it was as solid as it is, but doesn't sound like it was built in 1962. Just awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post: