Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2024, 01:59 PM   #2121
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
They almost certainly knew, as Vegas likely told them. "We want to do the 26 1st, because we want to keep the 25 available to add another piece"

To Conroy's credit, they made a very savvy move... they could have just said "okay, we'll take the 26, but we want another 3rd, or 4th (or whatever)". Instead, they said "we'll take the 25 with the condition that if you use it elsewhere, it becomes the 26". the difference, by doing it that way, is Vegas couldn't protect the 26.

MUCH more potential, doing it like that. And then Vegas pulled the trigger, and it all came to fruition.

Really solid piece of negotiating.
How do you figure? McCrimmon dictated terms throughout the negotiation by the sound of it. I suspect it went something like this.

McCrimmon: Hi Craig, what do you want for Hanifin?

Conroy: I'm thinking I need a 1st rounder, a player, and another pick in the 2nd round. I think that moves the team forward.

McCrimmon: Sure, I can make that happen.

Conroy: Awesome. We were trying to get something done with Tampa but they only had a 2026 1st and they wanted top 10 protection. So your 1st in the next draft, a 2nd, and that Edstrom kid?

McCrimmon: Sorry Craig, the 2024 pick is off the table and so is Edstrom. Our top four prospects are off the table, but if there is someone you like, lets talk.

Conroy: Okay, then we'll do a 2025 1st, a 2024 2nd, and Daniil Chayka. Deal?

McCrimmon: Can't do Danill Chayka, but do have another Daniil you might like, Daniil Mironmanov. Big kid with a booming shot. Has all the skills, we just haven't found a spot for him. Lots of potential.

Conroy: That's a possibility if we can get the picks nailed down. 2025 1st unprotected and a 2024 2nd?

McCrimmon: We're close. I've got another iron in the fire with another team where I may need that 2025 pick. How about if we make it conditional on that pick being available and not being top 10? If it isn't available or is top 10 it kicks to 2026.

Conroy: 2026, unprotected?

McCrimmon: Sure, we can do that. But I don't want to give that up without making the 2nd conditional on us getting out of the first round. You know how tough it is to get out of the 1st round Craig and I just want something to hedge against that bet. I'm giving you a possible lottery pick in 2026.

Conroy: Okay, a conditional third, but if you make it through the first round it goes to a 2nd.

McCrimmon: In 2025.

Conroy: What?

McCrimmon: The 2nd goes to 2025.

Conroy: Yeah, sure.

McCrimmon: Okay, then you have a deal. Hanifin for a 1st in either 2025 or 2026, depending on whether we use the 2025 pick, a conditional 3rd in 2024 which goes to a 2nd in 2025 if we make it out of the 1st round, and Daniil Miromanov.

Conroy: Unprotected 2026.

McCrimmon: Yep, unprotected 1st in 2026.

Conroy: Deal. Conroy fires up the fax machine and hangs up.

McCrimmon to the War Room: So when do I tell Conroy that I'm trading the 2025 for Thomas Hertl?

When Conroy sees the Vegas trade with San Jose: #### me.

I don't think there was anything shrewd in this deal other than McCrimmon keeping the fact they were trading that 2025 to San Jose for Hertl and they knew that 2026 was highly unlikely to be a lottery pick. Anyone dropping that condition has obvious plans in place. We can hope that Vegas faceplants, but looking at the roster doesn't scream lottery team. Nothing shrewd about thinking that was a possibility.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:13 PM   #2122
Knut

Exp:

We will likely never know what the other offers were, but I do think this return is in line with other deadline deals for rentals. If anything it is a better than most. We can be upset about the return, but it does seem in line with market value.

A known first rounder is essentially what most rentals go for. Teams know they will be late. This first has the potential to be better. I have no doubt that Vegas will still be decent a couple years from now. They could be a couple injuries away from missing the playoffs all together.

If Vegas can not sign Hanifin to a long term deal this deal quickly shifts to a big win for the Flames.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:15 PM   #2123
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
How do you figure? McCrimmon dictated terms throughout the negotiation by the sound of it. I suspect it went something like this.

McCrimmon: Hi Craig, what do you want for Hanifin?

Conroy: I'm thinking I need a 1st rounder, a player, and another pick in the 2nd round. I think that moves the team forward.

McCrimmon: Sure, I can make that happen.

Conroy: Awesome. We were trying to get something done with Tampa but they only had a 2026 1st and they wanted top 10 protection. So your 1st in the next draft, a 2nd, and that Edstrom kid?

McCrimmon: Sorry Craig, the 2024 pick is off the table and so is Edstrom. Our top four prospects are off the table, but if there is someone you like, lets talk.

Conroy: Okay, then we'll do a 2025 1st, a 2024 2nd, and Daniil Chayka. Deal?

McCrimmon: Can't do Danill Chayka, but do have another Daniil you might like, Daniil Mironmanov. Big kid with a booming shot. Has all the skills, we just haven't found a spot for him. Lots of potential.

Conroy: That's a possibility if we can get the picks nailed down. 2025 1st unprotected and a 2024 2nd?

McCrimmon: We're close. I've got another iron in the fire with another team where I may need that 2025 pick. How about if we make it conditional on that pick being available and not being top 10? If it isn't available or is top 10 it kicks to 2026.

Conroy: 2026, unprotected?

McCrimmon: Sure, we can do that. But I don't want to give that up without making the 2nd conditional on us getting out of the first round. You know how tough it is to get out of the 1st round Craig and I just want something to hedge against that bet. I'm giving you a possible lottery pick in 2026.

Conroy: Okay, a conditional third, but if you make it through the first round it goes to a 2nd.

McCrimmon: In 2025.

Conroy: What?

McCrimmon: The 2nd goes to 2025.

Conroy: Yeah, sure.

McCrimmon: Okay, then you have a deal. Hanifin for a 1st in either 2025 or 2026, depending on whether we use the 2025 pick, a conditional 3rd in 2024 which goes to a 2nd in 2025 if we make it out of the 1st round, and Daniil Miromanov.

Conroy: Unprotected 2026.

McCrimmon: Yep, unprotected 1st in 2026.

Conroy: Deal. Conroy fires up the fax machine and hangs up.

McCrimmon to the War Room: So when do I tell Conroy that I'm trading the 2025 for Thomas Hertl?

When Conroy sees the Vegas trade with San Jose: #### me.

I don't think there was anything shrewd in this deal other than McCrimmon keeping the fact they were trading that 2025 to San Jose for Hertl and they knew that 2026 was highly unlikely to be a lottery pick. Anyone dropping that condition has obvious plans in place. We can hope that Vegas faceplants, but looking at the roster doesn't scream lottery team. Nothing shrewd about thinking that was a possibility.
Lol thanks for the transcript.

Vegas is already struggling to nail down a divisional spot and now in the wild card. A week ago they were in striking distance for us.

The team will be 2 years older, and have players who have battled injuries. They could also be coming off 2 more long playoff runs at that point. They also have no real prospects upcoming and traded away a bunch of picks.

Tampa has done a better job of staying afloat.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:18 PM   #2124
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can easily see the Flames choosing to send him to Vegas out of principle. Tampa probably thought they had this in the bag and therefore only offered up some scraps ... if Conroy then turns around and chooses this deal to send the message that they will not be bullied, I'm all for it.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:19 PM   #2125
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Lol thanks for the transcript.
Thanks, I did my best Captain Crunch.

I'd wager neither team will be a trainwreck in two seasons. Too many good players.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 02:25 PM   #2126
BigThief
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

All those words for nothing
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigThief For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 02:32 PM   #2127
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Please leave the GM LARPing to the CPHL where none of us have to scroll past it.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 02:35 PM   #2128
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Conroy said in one of his post-deadline interviews (with Flames Talk, I think) that the Vegas trade was always likely going to be the 2026 first because Vegas already had a deal cooking. Conroy asked for the condition of the 2025 first just in case Vegas' other deal, the Hertl trade, fell through. That makes sense because there were also reports that it took Hertl a few days to think about whether to waive to go to Vegas.
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:36 PM   #2129
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
We will likely never know what the other offers were, but I do think this return is in line with other deadline deals for rentals. If anything it is a better than most. We can be upset about the return, but it does seem in line with market value.

A known first rounder is essentially what most rentals go for. Teams know they will be late. This first has the potential to be better. I have no doubt that Vegas will still be decent a couple years from now. They could be a couple injuries away from missing the playoffs all together.

If Vegas can not sign Hanifin to a long term deal this deal quickly shifts to a big win for the Flames.
Pierre LeBrun usually drops tidbits on trades that never happen in his articles. Like when Tkachuk was traded and discussing the Carolina offer.

He also said the Avs offered us a 1st and RyJo for Tanev.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:38 PM   #2130
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I know its been a couple of bad games, but how has Miromanov looked?
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:39 PM   #2131
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
That's a great question. Tampa has the better top six IMO, mostly because they have a top goaltender under contract. Vegas has better depth, especially down the middle. They have no goaltender under contract which is a wild card. Frankly, I wouldn't bet on either busting in the next two years. Both teams just have too many good players and have good management which always seems to find a way to get the talent they need. A better target would have been Boston, who seems like they are a house of cards just waiting for the wind to come up. Three forwards under contract for 2025-26, four defensemen, and no goaltenders. They do have three RFAs that could provide some depth, but they are thin.
Generally teams shopping for a Hanifin are high up in the standings, and likely built not to be one year wonders.

So that is pretty much likely from one offer to another.

If you can get unprotected from any of them it's a chance to catch a break.

I'd rather have an unprotected pick than a protected pick, and likely the Vegas trade push for this deadline opened that up. Likely wasn't on the table from others.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:44 PM   #2132
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
We can hope that Vegas faceplants, but looking at the roster doesn't scream lottery team.
Scream it? No it doesn't scream it... but it also doesn't look like a roster that I'd be willing to pencil into playoff spot two years ahead of time. It'll feature a bunch of guys on the backhalf of their careers, who've played a lot of "extra" hockey, and who've peddled away most of their draft picks (except this years) and top prospects extending this window.

Now those guys on their backhalf are really talented guys so I wouldn't expect them to look like SJ does this year... but they might be a bubble team and if they're a bubble team then they're just a major injury or two away from being a lotto team.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:46 PM   #2133
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apologies for being dumb, can someone explain protected v non-protected, assuming it means with respect to the draft lottery. If the pick is protected does that mean it gets deferred if the team drafts in the top 8 or something like that? Thanks
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:48 PM   #2134
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
I know its been a couple of bad games, but how has Miromanov looked?
Probably the worst possible pair of games to get a read on a player.

Every one sucked out loud and that's a terrible situation to audition yourself in, with so much overturn and chemistry also playing factors.

I'm going to let them finish this gauntlet of (more?) top teams on the road and come back home and get their bearings before critiquing these new additions.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:50 PM   #2135
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Probably the worst possible pair of games to get a read on a player.

Every one sucked out loud and that's a terrible situation to audition yourself in, with so much overturn and chemistry also playing factors.

I'm going to let them finish this gauntlet of (more?) top teams on the road and come back home and get their bearings before critiquing these new additions.
Flames were in a tough situation with the two afternoon games BTB immediately after TDL, and thus played terribly PLUS had the refs put them on their heels off the bat with maybe the worst call I've seen all year.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:59 PM   #2136
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least half of the working NHL officials have a hate-on boner for this organization, and I have no idea why.

There's not much of a connection left to Dennis Wideman. Maybe these a-holes have long memories, in which case they probably shouldn't be reffing in the first place.

I've noticed the Oiler favouritism has diminished slightly with the addition of Perry. But I can't believe THAT is what finally tipped the scales. They were already very easy to hate before that.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:06 PM   #2137
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

VGK 2026 unprotected 1st is my favorite asset out of all the assets Conroy has gotten in his trades.

A quick glance at capfriendly and Vegas' 2025-26 roster looks quite old/beaten up (assuming more lengthy playoff runs) with big contracts to come to Marchessault, Theodore and potentially Hanifin, as well as big shoes to fill in Stephenson/McNabb/Martinez.

It's gonna be a roster of an old, very injury-prone core with high cap hits and little-to-no prospects close to stepping in.

Hell yea, Conroy
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2024, 03:08 PM   #2138
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Apologies for being dumb, can someone explain protected v non-protected, assuming it means with respect to the draft lottery. If the pick is protected does that mean it gets deferred if the team drafts in the top 8 or something like that? Thanks
Yeah, usually something like that. It's insurance for the team in case they have a really bad year and unexpectedly end up with high pick in a future draft.

There's no standard and it's up to the GMs to negotiate the terms of the protection. Usually, it's something like top-5 or top-10 protection. I've seen some where it's only 1st or 2nd overall that's protected.

Typically, if the protection kicks in, the team will give up their first rounder the following year with no protection and the other team might receive a late round pick as compensation too.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:15 PM   #2139
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
VGK 2026 unprotected 1st is my favorite asset out of all the assets Conroy has gotten in his trades.

A quick glance at capfriendly and Vegas' 2025-26 roster looks quite old/beaten up (assuming more lengthy playoff runs) with big contracts to come to Marchessault, Theodore and potentially Hanifin, as well as big shoes to fill in Stephenson/McNabb/Martinez.

It's gonna be a roster of an old, very injury-prone core with high cap hits and little-to-no prospects close to stepping in.

Hell yea, Conroy
I could see a drop off for 2026. If that's the next high caliber draft then Conroy did very well.

Pray to the old and new gods Vegas hits the skids in a big way that season and we can have something like two top 15 picks in a good draft.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:25 PM   #2140
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Scream it? No it doesn't scream it... but it also doesn't look like a roster that I'd be willing to pencil into playoff spot two years ahead of time. It'll feature a bunch of guys on the backhalf of their careers, who've played a lot of "extra" hockey, and who've peddled away most of their draft picks (except this years) and top prospects extending this window.

Now those guys on their backhalf are really talented guys so I wouldn't expect them to look like SJ does this year... but they might be a bubble team and if they're a bubble team then they're just a major injury or two away from being a lotto team.
Of all the present contenders, Vegas is most likely to crash. It depends on their goaltending (they have neither guy signed for 2025-26) and how their injured/aging guys are.

Stone may be out of hockey by then. They won't have Stephenson. Likely not Marchessault. Pietrangelo will be 36. Eichel is always iffy. Their D will be Hague and Whitecloud and maybe Theodore if they can extend him. Nowhere near their past D. Hill will want a pile of money if his numbers continue. Thompson will want to start somewhere.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote