Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2023, 01:53 PM   #2061
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sort of banking on dying in the Climate Wars before I become too old to take care of myself
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 01:53 PM   #2062
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
We're getting way off into the weeds, but we don't need immigration to fill ####ty part-time retail jobs at Wally-World. They have closed tills not because they can't find people to work those tills: they quite deliberately run stores with as little human presence as possible. Why pay a cashier when they can get you to ring yourself out through a self-checkout for free? It's a race to the bottom.
We need immigration for the doctors, nurses, engineers and programmers, and all the other high value jobs that we aren’t producing enough children to fill.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:03 PM   #2063
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to take the bold stand and say I don't think public money for arenas is best thing and something I'd loudly support. But I'm also excited for a new building and getting to use it.

This is the type of bold incendiary opinions this thread needs.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:08 PM   #2064
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No we just need less useless and costly old people. They’re a drain on our health care system and economy. Anyone over 75 should be put on an iceberg and pushed out to sea.
I read this in David Hyde Pierce's voice and it seemed both irritatingly brash and yet surprisingly rational.

Martini anyone?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 02:10 PM   #2065
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
We need immigration for the doctors, nurses, engineers and programmers, and all the other high value jobs that we aren’t producing enough children to fill.
True. Canada allows a lot of immigration, but does a pretty poor job at distributing them where they are needed the most. Communities need to figure out how to create the gravity to lure them there. The skilled immigrants like doctors, tend to head right for the major centers that can provide the lifestyle and amenities they want for the money they can make.

A doctor immigrating to Canada is a lot like an NHL free agent. You have to compete with other markets for them. If you can find someone home grown, it definitely helps the cause, but with Canada's low birthrate, the talent pool is low.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:11 PM   #2066
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I read this in David Hyde Pierce's voice and it seemed both irritatingly brash and yet surprisingly rational.

Martini anyone?
Cecil’s kid is a bag of flour that’s been set on fire and run through with a conductor’s baton.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:16 PM   #2067
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
are you suggesting the dome has another 40 years in it lol

also, imagine the maintenance and operating costs...paid for by
you guessed it

Not to mention the Big O lost their major tenant so, good example
I'm just saying that "falling concrete" makes for nice scary headlines, but it doesn't mean the building is in any immediate danger of collapsing.

Could the Saddledome last another 40 years? With no upgrades/maintenance? No. If it was well-maintained, sure.

Ultimately, the question is whether or not those maintenance and upgrades are worth the cost to keep a building like that operational.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:18 PM   #2068
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the 'falling concrete' story is tabloid-esque at best. The Saddledome wouldn't be in use if it was deemed to be structurally unsafe. In fact, it would be condemned if so, like that apartment building in Kensington recently was (and then demolished).
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 02:19 PM   #2069
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I'm going to take the bold stand and say I don't think public money for arenas is best thing and something I'd loudly support. But I'm also excited for a new building and getting to use it.

That's kind of how I feel about it. In a perfect world, public money would never be used for things like this, but it is the price of doing business in a small to medium sized market. I mean, you can take it or leave it, but if you leave it, that doesn't mean that the money is going to be spent on things you want it to be spent on.

If someone offers me a new car, I am taking it even though there are more important things I actually need. The City/Province is offering a new arena and related infrastructure improvements... that is the offer, take it or leave it. It has no effect on the money going to health care anything else. They will just spend it on an Olympic bid, or some other project that still doesn't improve housing or health care.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:22 PM   #2070
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
That's kind of how I feel about it. In a perfect world, public money would never be used for things like this, but it is the price of doing business in a small to medium sized market. I mean, you can take it or leave it, but if you leave it, that doesn't mean that the money is going to be spent on things you want it to be spent on.

If someone offers me a new car, I am taking it even though there are more important things I actually need. The City/Province is offering a new arena and related infrastructure improvements... that is the offer, take it or leave it. It has no effect on the money going to health care anything else. They will just spend it on an Olympic bid, or some other project that still doesn't improve housing or health care.
Pretty much. The city was always going to have to kick in money. And CSEC knew it and had them over the barrel.

I'm slightly more annoyed at the province kicking in money. Because it was such a good strategic move in the preelection spending season. But that's how the cookie crumbles.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:25 PM   #2071
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’m trying to imagine what a city would look like if no “unnecessary” improvements were made until all social issues were addressed. Possibly a paradise, but I’m leaning towards a desolate “Elysium” earth city.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 02:25 PM   #2072
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post

YOU MONSTER!!!!! YOU HATE HEALTHCARE AND CHILDREN. AND POSSIBLY THE ENVIRONMENT.

I feel the same as you. So I'm a monster too.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 02:29 PM   #2073
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I hope the UCP is following along this thread some excellent ideas that can be used in Health Care.

Instead of lining up to pay for your Dr visit Hospital they should have a scanner as soon as you walk into a clinic or hospital it charges your card automatically like taking beer from a concession stand.
Cross platform marketing?

Free doctor visit with season ticket purchase.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 02:30 PM   #2074
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Or we could just make school more affordable and open more seats in areas like medicine since a lot of good candidates get excluded and many who are successful don't even get in on their first try.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 02:33 PM   #2075
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
So true. Most of the "I will never have kids because of the environment" people I have met don't live life styles that reduce their own impacts, but use the idea that they don't have kids to justify their own over consumption. I get wanting that lifestyle, but don't pretend to be saving the world because of it...lol.
Having a child is one of the largest contributors to GHG emissions. So, a DINKs lifestyle is on average less onerous to the environment.

But I don't think people are thinking about not having kids that way. . In considering whether i have kids, one question is always "what will their life be like?" I truly think that in the next 50 years, our society will be ####ed in more ways than one. Climate change will have a massive impact on that among other things.

Quote:
Yeah man. Your parents took care of you your whole life. You have to repay the favour at the end.

You owe them that much.
That is a pretty selfish reason to have kids...
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 03:04 PM   #2076
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait until Edwards put these kids to work building the new arena.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 03:05 PM   #2077
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Cross platform marketing?

Free doctor visit with season ticket purchase.
Change Dr to Naturopath and we have a deal.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 03:29 PM   #2078
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Having a child is one of the largest contributors to GHG emissions. So, a DINKs lifestyle is on average less onerous to the environment.

But I don't think people are thinking about not having kids that way. . In considering whether i have kids, one question is always "what will their life be like?" I truly think that in the next 50 years, our society will be ####ed in more ways than one. Climate change will have a massive impact on that among other things.

That is a pretty selfish reason to have kids...
Obviously nobody has kids expressly for that reason - all the same, the circle of life is a thing.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:44 PM   #2079
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
Or we could just make school more affordable and open more seats in areas like medicine since a lot of good candidates get excluded and many who are successful don't even get in on their first try.
People are excluded in fields like medicine and engineering because there are actual consequences when those professionals #### up on the job.

The people that don’t get into medical school on the first try and come back and get it in round 2 will be better physicians for that experience.

The problem is not “medical school is too expensive. Ergo, we don’t have enough doctors.”

The problem is we are not producing enough people.

These high value high responsibility positions go to the best and brightest among your population. If you have to outsource those jobs it is because your society is not producing enough new people to internally, fill the best and brightest quota.

Canada’s birth rate has declined every year since 2009.

That’s devastating.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:46 PM   #2080
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
Foreign students are the cash cow of universities.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote