Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2022, 09:12 AM   #2041
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, good point about him not defending what he says, which shows bad faith.

So we have a guy posting lies and misinformation disingenuously. What's a board to do with that? Glad I'm not a mod.
He should have a custom user title that mimics what twitter used to do. "This poster frequently posts misleading, misguided and generally moronic information. Please refer to CP's more rational users for additional information."
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 09:17 AM   #2042
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
He should have a custom user title that mimics what twitter used to do. "This poster frequently posts misleading, misguided and generally moronic information. Please refer to CP's more rational users for additional information."
Maybe they get a dunce cap avatar.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 09:22 AM   #2043
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah he's probably as Ozy put it - a first-generation, buggy AI chatbot. Shows all the hallmarks of one. And if he's not, he's definitely here to get orgasmic pleasure from his drive-by ####-posting / trolling.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:26 AM   #2044
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The CBE sent out stats today for the percentage of kids sick by school. My kids school is at ~8% which doesn’t seem worrying. The big percentages are in the elementary schools. I have no idea what a baseline would be, so it’s all kind of meaningless without context.
10% is considered outbreak status. So....you are right at the borderline.

My kids school is at 12% and my wife's is around 9%. At that level the number of sick teachers and lack of substitutes has the schools close to going to online learning.

I don't think people are fully appreciating how stressed out the education system is right now after 2.5 years of the pandemic and inept UCP leadership from LaGrange.

There is a drastic need for increased teaching support.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 09:33 AM   #2045
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
For the record, people who wear masks in Asia, it's not always just to prevent catching something. It's to protect others because the mask-wearer is sick or has an issue. It's about protecting others as much as yourself.

And if you are one of those who think masks are ineffective (and there's some validity to that based on type of mask), consider that even low protection is better than no protection.
I still think this is one of the biggest fallacies about Asia before Covid. People wore masks there, but it wasn't anywhere near a majority of people. I also think that where I saw the most mask usage was due to pollution and not because of illness at all.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:34 AM   #2046
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
10% is considered outbreak status. So....you are right at the borderline.

My kids school is at 12% and my wife's is around 9%. At that level the number of sick teachers and lack of substitutes has the schools close to going to online learning.

I don't think people are fully appreciating how stressed out the education system is right now after 2.5 years of the pandemic and inept UCP leadership from LaGrange.

There is a drastic need for increased teaching support.
Yeah, I think that the teachers/substitutes is where the main issue is. I'm not entirely sure what could be done about that though? After watching my kids go through online learning during Covid I feel like that was great for the not getting sick aspect, and horrible for the socialization and even actual learning aspect.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:42 AM   #2047
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Yeah he's probably as Ozy put it - a first-generation, buggy AI chatbot. Shows all the hallmarks of one. And if he's not, he's definitely here to get orgasmic pleasure from his drive-by ####-posting / trolling.
If you can’t see the hypocrisy it’s on you at this point.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1593605899926618115
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:43 AM   #2048
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I still think this is one of the biggest fallacies about Asia before Covid. People wore masks there, but it wasn't anywhere near a majority of people. I also think that where I saw the most mask usage was due to pollution and not because of illness at all.
Why is this a fallacy? As I said, some people who are sick wear masks. They cough - on the train - into a mask. Others wear them to prevent airborne viruses and general illness.

If someone is sick, how is it a fallacy for them to do something to protect you?

This isn't a fallacy. It's just cultural.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:50 AM   #2049
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post

https://twitter.com/user/status/1593605899926618115
This isn’t hypocrisy.

A government employee who’s job it is to make health recommendations for the general public, and then doing so, is not claiming moral superiority over anyone. You’ll note there was nothing mandated.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:50 AM   #2050
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hypocrisy has nothing to do with the efficacy of masks. If you can't see that, then that's on you at this point.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:51 AM   #2051
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This isn’t hypocrisy.

A government employee who’s job it is to make health recommendations for the general public, and then doing so, is not claiming moral superiority over anyone. You’ll note there was nothing mandated.
True, but it is pretty weak leadership. Not following your own "strong recommendation" is setting a poor example.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 09:53 AM   #2052
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
True, but it is pretty weak leadership. Not following your own "strong recommendation" is setting a poor example.
Well Ontario has arguably worse leadership than AB right now. No debate there. It’s just a pathetic thing to wave around as some sort or argument. Unless your argument is just that our government sucks and has no accountability. It’s certainly not an indictment on the efficacy of masks.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:53 AM   #2053
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This isn’t hypocrisy.

Also, you have no idea what controls were placed on attendance. It looks like a very small private gathering by the video and not some big public event. Dumb article is dumb as is the poster who brought it to the table.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:59 AM   #2054
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think that just proves the point that human nature will override common sense, and why they need to be mandated, as many have said here that they don't wear them, but if they were told to, they would.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 10:00 AM   #2055
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Well Ontario has arguably worse leadership than AB right now.
TBH as a former Albertan and now Ontarian, I'm taking Doug over Danielle all day, every day. That pimple is the lesser of two pimples IMO.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 10:07 AM   #2056
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Also, you have no idea what controls were placed on attendance. It looks like a very small private gathering by the video and not some big public event. Dumb article is dumb as is the poster who brought it to the table.
I don't care either way really, but this definitely is not a very small private gathering lol.
8 Ball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:16 AM   #2057
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
TBH as a former Albertan and now Ontarian, I'm taking Doug over Danielle all day, every day. That pimple is the lesser of two pimples IMO.
Openly stupid vs. Quietly sinister. Nobody is winning.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:35 AM   #2058
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Imagine the freedom of recommending masks and then not following your own recommendation

Imagine. Freedom of choice.

My daughter calls this big brain thought.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:35 AM   #2059
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you wanted to put a bag over your head I’m all for it, but stop trying to force others to do what you think is noble . I dont want to live like you.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1593434020129701890
I hate this politicizing of masks. As someone who just had the poor luck of having an immune system with an extreme response to covid, I'm masked up any time I go indoors somewhere public and what's much worse than the inconvenience of wearing a mask is the people with eye rolls or looks that suggest they're fed up with people like me or that I'm crazy and part of some political conspiracy when it's actually just a personal health decision in response to circumstances out of my control.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 10:40 AM   #2060
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I hate this politicizing of masks. As someone who just had the poor luck of having an immune system with an extreme response to covid, I'm masked up any time I go indoors somewhere public and what's much worse than the inconvenience of wearing a mask is the people with eye rolls or looks that suggest they're fed up with people like me or that I'm crazy and part of some political conspiracy when it's actually just a personal health decision in response to circumstances out of my control.
It's certainly depressing that public health has become this wedge political issue. There's almost no hope for us if a pandemic worse than COVID hits in the next few years. Also, I have a pretty big fear that childhood vaccine rates are going to be a victim of this as well, and there will be significant outbreaks of all those long forgotten diseases.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post: