Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2024, 04:01 PM   #2041
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve found the staff do a good job picking vegetables and fruit in terms of quality. In terms of quantity it can be varied. For meat I still buy my own at Costco once a month
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 05:26 PM   #2042
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Safeway near me closed for renos (and to become a FreshCo) at the same time Coop sent me an email about their new delivery service. I'll never go back to shopping in person again for my main grocery haul. But occasionally I need to stop in a pick up something. If I have my car, it's fine because I bought a basket similar to the ones they have at stores and just use that. But often I'm walking and think of it at the last minute and it's annoying.

And apparently, for the first time in my life, I have to buy garbage bags instead of re-using grocery bags.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 05:31 PM   #2043
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Wait, you all are still physically going to the grocery store?
Delivery is where it's at people. That and remote work are the two best things to come out of covid.
I kind of enjoy grocery shopping.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2024, 05:44 PM   #2044
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
What the hell is wrong with you?

()

I don't mind grocery shopping solely for myself, which consists of maybe five minutes' worth of grabbing a few staples and making my way to the till. I despise shopping with other people, and absolutely loathe shopping for other people. *shudder*
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 06:02 PM   #2045
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post

()

I don't mind grocery shopping solely for myself, which consists of maybe five minutes' worth of grabbing a few staples and making my way to the till. I despise shopping with other people, and absolutely loathe shopping for other people. *shudder*
Well it’s either me alone, or my wife and I. When our kids were young though, we rarely brought everyone. I have no idea why people do that and it seems insane. And getting groceries for the family doesn’t bother me.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2024, 06:50 PM   #2046
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well it’s either me alone, or my wife and I. When our kids were young though, we rarely brought everyone. I have no idea why people do that and it seems insane. And getting groceries for the family doesn’t bother me.

Similarly, I rarely see a group larger than 3 people just out shopping at the grocery store. At Co-op today, it was just singles and a few couples doing shopping.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 07:07 PM   #2047
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pre Covid we always shopped as a family and I think we've talked about this topic before but I felt it was important to get the kids to the store as it teaches some independence, helps them potentially make healthy food choices, shows them how to budget and shop for sales items and it also gives them some input of meals.

But the Covid rules of one person shopping killed that for us and I think my kids have maybe been a dozen times over the last 4 years.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 07:17 PM   #2048
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have no clue why, but our kids love going grocery shopping and for some reason they ratchet their good behavior to 10 the moment we set foot in a grocery store. They now have a handful of “friends” that work at our usual store and they go and say hi to each one if they are working. Big key for us is we usually go at 7:30 AM, so the store is dead quiet. However, whenever we go at more “normal” grocery shopping times I am reminded how brutal it can be. They also love Costco, so I just got back from a Costco run on the Sunday before back to school with a 3 year old and honestly he was not a hinderance at all and was even fairly helpful a few times in telling me lunch items he wanted this week. I never would have guessed this would be something I’d be saying prior to kids…haha.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 07:21 PM   #2049
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
I have no clue why, but our kids love going grocery shopping and for some reason they ratchet their good behavior to 10 the moment we set foot in a grocery store. They now have a handful of “friends” that work at our usual store and they go and say hi to each one if they are working. Big key for us is we usually go at 7:30 AM, so the store is dead quiet. However, whenever we go at more “normal” grocery shopping times I am reminded how brutal it can be. They also love Costco, so I just got back from a Costco run on the Sunday before back to school with a 3 year old and honestly he was not a hinderance at all and was even fairly helpful a few times in telling me lunch items he wanted this week. I never would have guessed this would be something I’d be saying prior to kids…haha.
I loved shopping with my kids until they were 10 or so. Then they got board of it. But they were great helpers and they’d always find interesting things to try
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 07:28 PM   #2050
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yah, it makes me a bit sad because this is probably the last year the schedule will work for our morning shopping trips. And then I’m sure it won’t be long until they find it boring and say they don’t want to go.

And to tie it back to the previous topic…my 5 year old is amazing at reminding me to bring in our reusable bags!
Old 01-07-2024, 08:11 PM   #2051
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I have no clue why, but our kids love going grocery shopping
They probably just want to spend time with you.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2024, 08:17 PM   #2052
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have no clue why, but our kids love going grocery shopping and for some reason they ratchet their good behavior to 10 the moment we set foot in a grocery store.
That would be so great.

"Here Timmy...here's $50 and a list. Come back when you're done."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 08:30 PM   #2053
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
They probably just want to spend time with you.
I’m super lucky that we get to spend a lot of time together, so I’m not sure it is that, despite how nice it is for my parenting ego. They are both very task and list oriented, so I think that is part of it for them. 5 year old will regularly ask me “ok dad, what else is on the list…” as we’re going up and down the aisles which is pretty hilarious.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:53 AM   #2054
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I never really cared for it before, but my wife and I have made a nice Sunday ritual out of it. Go to the gym together, do the groceries and bring home ingredients for breakfast (or grab something) It's a nice start to the day.

Of course, it depends on where you're shopping. I hated it when Superstore was our regular, whereas we go to Safeway now and I dunno, I just actually like the cozy vibe of the place. Where Superstore feels loud, airy and messy, Safeway feels warm, quiet and clean. I just find it pleasant.

Costco on the other hand is hell, and I avoid that trip when I can.

EDIT: Oh, we're in the city hall thread? Weird
Old 01-08-2024, 09:57 AM   #2055
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I grocery shop alone. And I don’t mind getting out of the house to do it, so long as it’s a human-scaled Co-op or Safeway. Can’t stand Costco or Superstore.

So we have a division of labour that works well - my wife does the big 2x month shopping trips to Costco, and I do the 2x a week trips to Co-op for things that come up during the week.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 10:09 AM   #2056
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Costco is fine. Go by yourself and throw a podcast on. It’s easy. Plus the one I go to rarely feels busy.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:22 AM   #2057
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:

()

As a single dude, the grocery store is a great place to meet single women. (Before anyone says anything, I mean for a purely chance meeting, you don't be a bloody sleaze about it, obviously.)

But I have to agree with you timun, going to the grocery store with another person is agonizing. This is not a two-person task... UNLESS you are each given one half of a grocery list and then set about to divide and conquer, that I can get behind. But grocery shopping ad-hoc and going with two people? No thanks.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:24 AM   #2058
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I LOVE grocery shopping.

Strolling around looking at things, thinking what I can make, grabbing stuff I haven't tried.

Love it.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 10:47 PM   #2059
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I LOVE grocery shopping.

Strolling around looking at things, thinking what I can make, grabbing stuff I haven't tried.

Love it.

As long as you have some self awareness and gtf outta the middle of the aisle when you see someone that just wants to clear their list and get outta there as efficiently as possible. It’s food, grab it and go.

I still want to dress up a cart Mad Max style before going into Costco. A mini guitar guy with flames would be awesome. Might actually get some of the aisle lice to pay attention
Brendone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 11:13 PM   #2060
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Costco would be perfect if they stopped handing out free samples. People start acting like they’re poor medieval peasants at the sight of a rice cracker with salsa.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post: