Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2023, 01:09 PM   #2041
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I actually suspect it will become a real problem at some point in time. you'll get more childless people in their 70s+ with no living siblings or nieces/nephews... close family relations. Clearly there will be a burden on the state, and I suspect for all of the complaining that childless people do about paying too much in taxes, it will disproportionately hit my kids who I spent 10s of thousands of dollars / year raising to support these people who went through their 30s able to make investments and gallivant around the world on luxury vacations.

I say lets be China, now that the population explosion is under control, instead of taxing parents into poverty, lets tax the childless into poverty.
So true. Most of the "I will never have kids because of the environment" people I have met don't live life styles that reduce their own impacts, but use the idea that they don't have kids to justify their own over consumption. I get wanting that lifestyle, but don't pretend to be saving the world because of it...lol.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:09 PM   #2042
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
lol. Your kids don’t care about you either. They just want you to die so they can afford a house.
Maybe you don’t care about your parents.

Many do.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:15 PM   #2043
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Maybe you don’t care about your parents.

Many do.
We are born to be caretakers?
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:15 PM   #2044
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
The day I need someone to change my diaper, I plan on having them strap me to a motorcycle and see if I can jump Springfield Gorge.
Medically assisted dying is a thing now, no need to make a spectacle.

#ThanksTrudeau
Old 06-08-2023, 01:22 PM   #2045
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
We are born to be caretakers?
Yeah man. Your parents took care of you your whole life. You have to repay the favour at the end.

You owe them that much.

Or maybe you don’t. Maybe they’re awful people and don’t deserve anything for giving you your life and everything in it.

It doesn’t necessarily mean you become their night nurse, but if they need help and can’t pay for it, what are you gonna do?

I’ll tell you something else from experience - that burden is much easier with siblings.

Morbidity aside, children are what give your life real meaning. You can spend your whole life looking for that meaning in other places, and you won’t find it.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:23 PM   #2046
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Morbidity aside, children are what give your life real meaning. You can spend your whole life looking for that meaning in other places, and you won’t find it.
Possibly, but people can't enjoy meaning in their own lives in their own way? I think the above statement is just YOUR experience. It's a bit myopic to speak for others in this sense.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 01:25 PM   #2047
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

One thing I think we're going to need within 30 years is a far healthier relationship with the concept of death, and far more progressive policies for self-determination around mortality.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 01:25 PM   #2048
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
So true. Most of the "I will never have kids because of the environment" people I have met don't live life styles that reduce their own impacts, but use the idea that they don't have kids to justify their own over consumption. I get wanting that lifestyle, but don't pretend to be saving the world because of it...lol.
“Bringing kids into a world that’s already stretched to the limit of its carrying capacity is so irresponsible. Hey, did I show you the pictures of my trip to Costa Rica?”
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 01:27 PM   #2049
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

You know it’s tough to defend a piece of government spending from a financial perspective when the conversation moves to the meaning of life.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 01:30 PM   #2050
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
So rally against carbon even though Canada is a rounding error on the global impact, but ignore over population because Canada is a rounding error on the global impact. Got it.
I was talking about the labor force, tax base, cpp ect.

Country won't function without some new blood...remember that next time you are crying about no tills open at Walmart
Old 06-08-2023, 01:31 PM   #2051
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You know it’s tough to defend a piece of government spending from a financial perspective when the conversation moves to the meaning of life.

But it’s more entertaining than the same old funding debate while we’re waiting for some actual news about the arena
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 01:32 PM   #2052
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Possibly, but people can't enjoy meaning in their own lives in their own way? I think the above statement is just YOUR experience. It's a bit myopic to speak for others in this sense.
Live your lives however you want. Don’t have children if you don’t want them - just like a dog or cat. It’s always better to go into these things willingly.

But fundamentally, between the endorphins and oxytocin and all the things that happen when you become a parent, the lessons you learn, the maturing that takes place, the revitalization of your own parents, the addition of new friends to your life (because most of us, especially men, only make new friends as an adult through our kids) - all the stuff that will sustain you for the last half of your life gets unlocked with children.

Love. It comes down to love. Yeah, all the other stuff I’ve written might just be my own little slice of the human experience. You won’t ever love anyone or anything as much as your own child.

That’s not just me. That’s everyone but the psychopaths.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:34 PM   #2053
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Country won't function without some new blood...remember that next time you are crying about no tills open at Walmart
Do a lot of crying at Walmart?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 01:38 PM   #2054
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Love. It comes down to love. Yeah, all the other stuff I’ve written might just be my own little slice of the human experience. You won’t ever love anyone or anything as much as your own child.

That’s not just me. That’s everyone but the psychopaths.
So those of us who don't have kids will never understand and will never reach that 'enlightened' level, and are branded as psychopaths?

Ouch, man.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:44 PM   #2055
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyway, I think generally the largest problem Civil Society has about Healthcare is we've simplified it to more money good, less money bad. We're broadly speaking as a society not engaged in some of the complexity of what really could improve the system, access etc.

Now back to the moral question surrounding the evolutionary impulse to have kids.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:45 PM   #2056
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So those of us who don't have kids will never understand and will never reach that 'enlightened' level, and are branded as psychopaths?

Ouch, man.
If you don’t have kids, no, you will never understand the love a parent feels for their child. You can still love just fine, but it is different, I promise you.

The psychopaths I’m referring to are people that have kids and love other things more than them. Or don’t love them at all.

That’s ####ed.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:48 PM   #2057
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wtf?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 01:49 PM   #2058
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Ouch, man.
Not unless you’re gay.

Gay dads are the sanest men in the world. And then non-parent gay men. And then straight dads. And then married straight men without children. It pretty quickly crashes from there.

Single, straight men over 40? Absolutely psychotic. Disgusting, really.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 01:49 PM   #2059
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Do a lot of crying at Walmart?
We're getting way off into the weeds, but we don't need immigration to fill ####ty part-time retail jobs at Wally-World. They have closed tills not because they can't find people to work those tills: they quite deliberately run stores with as little human presence as possible. Why pay a cashier when they can get you to ring yourself out through a self-checkout for free? It's a race to the bottom.

Likewise with the arena project touting that the new building will "create jobs". It's just the same jobs that are already being filled at the Saddledome. There may be marginally more concessions vendors, but those are just crappy part-time, minimum wage jobs. Two or three of the average six-figure-earning CPers ( ) probably pay more provincial income taxes than every concessions worker at Flames games, combined.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:51 PM   #2060
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

Honestly, our decision was 60% health concerns, 40% financial, 0% environmental. For the financial aspect, we really weren’t in a position to support a child / children without making major lifestyle changes, and there’s no way we wanted to burden the system because of a choice we were in control of. When I see news stories along the lines of “we’re already struggling financially, and with number two on the way…” it’s a WTF moment for me. If your struggling with the first, what was your thought process with number two, besides “the system will take care of it”. Of course there are always extenuating circumstances, but if you’re just spitting out babies, ‘cause it’s your right, then I don’t have much sympathy.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote