Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #2021
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

People who share stupid crap on Facebook RGMG.

ie: There's a post about the manager of Eggs Oasis in Crowfoot firing someone with Down Syndrome, because a customer complained that they had "that kind of person" hired. The post brings up the managers name and says how horrible he is, etc.

So, this chick posts this, without proof, and already, over 4000 people have shared it without 100% knowing if it's true or not.
It very well could be, and if so, it's horrible, but it also could be a disgruntled worker and/or a complete lie and I hate how quick people are on social media to share stuff like that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #2022
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm going to rant, just for a second:
I'm not a returning poster. I get the self proclaimed sleuths around here have this dire need to label anyone who comes out guns blazing as a returning poster, but you know what? It's REALLY not hard to just jump in with both feet as a new poster. If anything, all it leads to is infractions and miscommunications. I've had my share of both. I've talked trash to some of the more respectable posters here and been shamed for it, which is totally fine, because I simply did not know. I'm fine with taking lumps, but this whole "returning poster" narrative is kind of ridiculous. It's fine if you think that, but constantly having to mention things like "oh you outed yourself!" and "oh yeah well you're a returning poster so your opinion is blegh" is just childish and tired.

I mean come on puckluck, you publically welched on a bet, everyone has seen the evidence and knows you did it, and YOU are going to go around accusing people of things without ANY evidence? Yeah, see how far that gets you. Whether you're just having a laugh or not, it's old, I'm over the humour portion of the idea.

Trust me, if I get banned (and that's entirely possible, I know I go too far sometimes) I will be more than happy to leave sneaky clues about the fact that I was once strombad. However, this remains the very first account I've posted with on CP. I enjoy posting on CP, so I do it quite a bit. Posting at a high rate and with a bit of sandpaper once in a while doesn't automatically mean someone was here before.

To believe that every new poster that goes in heavy is a returning poster shows a complete disregard for the popularity of this site. This isn't a mom-and-pop site where the membership is small and it's a tight community, it's pretty f'n big. New people will come and go. You'll like some, and you won't like others. Just because someone comes in and walks the line of good taste doesn't mean they've been banned before. If anything, you'd think someone who had been banned would LEARN.

I'm cool with the returning poster garbage once in a while for brand new people. Make your guesses, let it go. But it's been like 6 months. Get over it already.

TLDR: The "returning poster" narrative that some people lean on RGMG. Get over it, ya bunch of wannabe Sherlocks.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #2023
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post

ie: There's a post about the manager of Eggs Oasis in Crowfoot firing someone with Down Syndrome, because a customer complained that they had "that kind of person" hired. The post brings up the managers name and says how horrible he is, etc.

So, this chick posts this, without proof, and already, over 4000 people have shared it without 100% knowing if it's true or not.
It very well could be, and if so, it's horrible, but it also could be a disgruntled worker and/or a complete lie and I hate how quick people are on social media to share stuff like that.
I saw that as well on a friend's feed.

Don't you know everything on the internet is true....

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #2024
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't stand when people catch the elevator to go up one floor.
At the Court House I go to (Im a lawyer), one elevator is out of order, leaving one that is working. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that will literally wait 5 minutes for the elevator so they can take it to the 2nd floor when the stairs are clearly right beside them and it would take about 15 secods to climb them.

No wonder this country has gotten so fat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #2025
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
I mean come on puckluck, you publically welched on a bet, everyone has seen the evidence and knows you did it, and YOU are going to go around accusing people of things without ANY evidence? Yeah, see how far that gets you. Whether you're just having a laugh or not, it's old, I'm over the humour portion of the idea.
Can someone explain this one to me. I missed this but I kept seeing people talk about the bet and the deleted thread but I have no idea what happened.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #2026
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't stand places that force you to take the elevator a few floors. Their stairs are hideous concrete enclosures that are never cleaned and often all the doors are locked so that you can go down to the lobby but can't get back up.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #2027
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
Can someone explain this one to me. I missed this but I kept seeing people talk about the bet and the deleted thread but I have no idea what happened.

There was a thread discussing it..............

In short a bet was made, then lost, but never paid.

This post is a good starting point for your journey down the rabbit hole....

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...&postcount=172

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #2028
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I can't stand places that force you to take the elevator a few floors. Their stairs are hideous concrete enclosures that are never cleaned and often all the doors are locked so that you can go down to the lobby but can't get back up.
The worst experience I've ever had with elevators was when I was at a Hong Kong hotel. The stairwell actually couldn't access the bottom 4 floors, so everyone is pretty much forced to take the stupid elevators. And the two elevators always took at least 15 minutes every morning before it showed up. Even though I was on the 22nd floor, it honestly would have been a lot faster for me just to walk down the stair well than to wait for the elevator.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:22 AM   #2029
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I think strombad just needs to listen to some tragically hip to calm down.

Yer Favourites to get the hit parade? Or do I have to pick a specific catalogue album?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #2030
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
At the Court House I go to (Im a lawyer), one elevator is out of order, leaving one that is working. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that will literally wait 5 minutes for the elevator so they can take it to the 2nd floor when the stairs are clearly right beside them and it would take about 15 secods to climb them.

A lot of buildings (mine included) only have crossover floors every 3-4 floors, meaning that you can only access the floor via the stairwell on certain floors. We have two floors and they cannot be accessed by the stairwell, so to go up or down one our only option is the elevator.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #2031
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
A lot of buildings (mine included) only have crossover floors every 3-4 floors, meaning that you can only access the floor via the stairwell on certain floors. We have two floors and they cannot be accessed by the stairwell, so to go up or down one our only option is the elevator.
Yeah, in my building there's us, another firm, and then a major tenant who has tons of space. They frequently will get on on one floor and push the button for the next floor up. Hence you get on the elevator with 4 people and expect to make 3 stops, and end up making 7. PITA but what are they supposed to do?
Quote:
Puckluck and Red John had a bet from before the olympics Canada wouldn't get out of the Quarters (Puckluck bet they wouldn't make it past that point). They didn't figure out how exactly they'd pay each other when one of them won, because Red John isn't in Calgary. Then Puckluck lost the bet and claimed that because they hadn't hammered out a way for the money to change hands, there was no bet and he didn't have to pay up. Throughout this Puckluck made odd claims like having no access to web banking, no paypal, an unwillingness to use 3rd parties, etc. Basically he made a dumb bet and welched on it.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 19Yzerman19 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #2032
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Facebook is the equivalent of message boards in the late 90's/early 00's. All of us geeks were on them learning how to properly have conversations and discussions on the internet while everyone else was making fun of us.

Now social media is huge and all these people who have no idea how the internet really works, no idea how to formulate a proper opinion, and no idea how to rationally discuss things online are everywhere.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #2033
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1194633/eg...iscrimination/

The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #2034
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Nothing to see really. A bet was being set up and Red John never replied and then I was sin binned without ever getting a reply back about payment method. 2 days went by and even though he was signing in and out I never got a reply. Steombad can say I'm a welcher until he's blue in the face but that doesn't make it true. I posted the PM's amd I sent the first message and sent the last message and got no reply. I would never Welch on a bet especially on a forum where dozens of people know my real identity.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #2035
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
Nothing to see really. A bet was being set up and Red John never replied and then I was sin binned without ever getting a reply back about payment method. 2 days went by and even though he was signing in and out I never got a reply. Steombad can say I'm a welcher until he's blue in the face but that doesn't make it true. I posted the PM's amd I sent the first message and sent the last message and got no reply. I would never Welch on a bet especially on a forum where dozens of people know my real identity.

If only we could have a thread to discuss this or poll to vote........if only...

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #2036
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default You Know What Really Grinds My Gears....The Sequel!

Quote:
Red John and I both agreed to a $500 dollar bet that Canada wouldn't finish higher than fourth, but I welched like grape juice because the payment method wasn't completely ironed out. Oopsie daisy! Now I'm left to pretend it's not true even though every single person who saw the PM's agreed that the bet existed and I welched. Sad face.

fyp

EDIT: and the "why would I welch? I have met people here!" defence, totally classic. Remind me next time to use an irrelevant fact in my defence too.

As I said before, probably not a good idea to throw stones while you being a welcher is still hanging over your head. I didn't mean to really start the conversation again, so I won't continue it, but it's undeniably hilarious.

Last edited by strombad; 03-07-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #2037
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post

Puckluck and Red John had a bet from before the olympics Canada wouldn't get out of the Quarters (Puckluck bet they wouldn't make it past that point). They didn't figure out how exactly they'd pay each other when one of them won, because Red John isn't in Calgary. Then Puckluck lost the bet and claimed that because they hadn't hammered out a way for the money to change hands, there was no bet and he didn't have to pay up. Throughout this Puckluck made odd claims like having no access to web banking, no paypal, an unwillingness to use 3rd parties, etc. Basically he made a dumb bet and welched on it.
Nice trolling. Every single thing you said was wrong. I attempted to bet Canada wouldn't get a medal.

We didn't figure out how to pay each other because Red John stopped replying and then after I was sinbinned he claimed he tried to message me even though he was signing in and out after I replied. I was more than willing to use a third party and even gave him a few names of posters I knew and he still didn't tell me he was in B.C. I would have made other arrangements but never got a reply. So get your facts straight and my PM's are facts and whoever wants copies can PM me and I'll gladly send you them. Dates and times and messages don't lie.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #2038
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 03-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #2039
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Stared at that for a few minutes waiting for something to load before I realized that's all it is.

Fried from working too much this week
Old 03-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #2040
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Nice trolling. Every single thing you said was wrong. I attempted to bet Canada wouldn't get a medal.

We didn't figure out how to pay each other because Red John stopped replying and then after I was sinbinned he claimed he tried to message me even though he was signing in and out after I replied. I was more than willing to use a third party and even gave him a few names of posters I knew and he still didn't tell me he was in B.C. I would have made other arrangements but never got a reply. So get your facts straight and my PM's are facts and whoever wants copies can PM me and I'll gladly send you them. Dates and times and messages don't lie.
Said earlier that this wouldn't be spoken of again but it seems that post was deleted and a lot of posters are trying to figure out what actually happened so here's the facts.

You're spinning things. Technically you were last to reply but you said you were working and would check out some websites that hold stakes for stuff like this "later." Was expecting a response and had to follow up saying "we should figure this out" a couple days later. You responded with "didn't know you lived in BC. I want to do a cash deal" and then got sinbinned. Tried to contact you several times during that sin-bin and couldn't. So yes, you were last to message. But you never tried to work out a payment option.

As soon as you got sinbinned, it was starting to become clear that you were going to try and get out on technicality. Had a bad feeling about it right away especially given your reputation on the site in the past.

It doesn't really matter what the PMs say. You agreed to a bet. Just because payment details hadn't been finalized doesn't mean there's no bet. Heck you could even use the honour system and just pay up when you lose (one of my suggestions in those PMs) but you ignored that. Guess it would require actually having honour.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Closed Thread