Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2024, 06:36 AM   #2021
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
A good start?

They started 2-7-1

That's the other thing, they won't need time to adjust to a new coach next season. They should all be on the same page when it comes to systems and what's expected.

Goaltending will be a huge factor, if Wolf gives .900+ goaltending this team is middle of the pack IMO
They got .900 goaltending from Markstrom this season and finished bottom ten. They also got pummelled after the deadline when they shouldn’t have been adjusting to a system anymore. They’d need Vezina level goaltending all season to finish middle of the pack.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:45 AM   #2022
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It's all about PP. Flames need a pp that's between 10-15 to do well.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CFO For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 06:52 AM   #2023
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

They cannot finish middle of the pack that is a terrible scenario.

We need to be in the mix with Anaheim, Chicago and San Jose next season.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 06:57 AM   #2024
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
A good start?

They started 2-7-1

That's the other thing, they won't need time to adjust to a new coach next season. They should all be on the same page when it comes to systems and what's expected.

Goaltending will be a huge factor, if Wolf gives .900+ goaltending this team is middle of the pack IMO
They were in playoff contention into the new year. I am talking about a 50 game start, not a 10 game start. They only really took a nose dive into bottom feeder land after the trade deadline.

The current team is really bad. As shown by how the current team played. Their 9th place finish was hugely propped up by their good start.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 07:39 AM   #2025
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

haven’t had time to stay on top of the thread so apologies if this has been discussed. It is not a move I want the Flames to make but I wonder if we hear about a trade like Andersson, Markstrom, and Mangiapane for Marner and Liljegren?

Marner probably doesn’t waive to come here, Flames don’t need to give another winger a massive payday but Toronto definitely gets 2 pieces they desperately need
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 07:44 AM   #2026
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
haven’t had time to stay on top of the thread so apologies if this has been discussed. It is not a move I want the Flames to make but I wonder if we hear about a trade like Andersson, Markstrom, and Mangiapane for Marner and Liljegren?

Marner probably doesn’t waive to come here, Flames don’t need to give another winger a massive payday but Toronto definitely gets 2 pieces they desperately need
Hate that for the Flames
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 07:55 AM   #2027
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
A 2nd for Mangiapane would be great.

His metrics don't match the eye test, he just doesn't seem like someone who is doing anything on the ice.

Give him credit he turned a hot streak into $17 million.
Not sure metrics would match an eye test unless you're specifically looking for them.

It's not an "effort index" it's a making solid reads that keeps your team out of trouble when you're on the ice.

- staying high in the offensive zone when your linemates are deep
- reading a play and covering your defenseman in the defensive zone so they puck never actually gets put back to the dman you're covering
- putting a puck in deep late in a shift so you don't get caught
- putting a puck in deep when you know the opposition has a tired defenseman
- cheating off the wall to cover the high slot when you see a dangerous play developing

Not sure you're going to see these things.

But you do them time and time again and you end up with season over season of great play driving stats.

He likely will never get close to 35 goals again, but the dismissal of this player in the last page is way over the top.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 07:59 AM   #2028
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd steer very clear of Marner, his reputation seems to be following him and the rumors swirling around his desire to even play hockey.

The boys on Barn Burner alluded to it a bit yesterday, he's been silver spooned his entire life and told he's the greatest gift to hockey since a young age. Rhett hinted at something about his father and a rift between him and Marner.

But overall they all echoed the same concern, all the skill in the world but a terrible teammate and an entitled attitude with no desire to play the game.

Sounds like much of what the Flames were plagued with for the last few years, and part of why we moved on from Lindholm etc... I think most forget how much the fanbase turned on Johnny for not performing in the playoffs and now those same people somehow have a desire to obtain Marner who's literally done nothing for the Leafs every playoff round.

No thanks!
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:02 AM   #2029
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

His Dad is the stereotypical hockey Dad. What they were hinting at is that Mitch doesn't like the game, doesn't have the love for it that others might and that most of this was all because his Dad pushed it on him.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 08:18 AM   #2030
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
They cannot finish middle of the pack that is a terrible scenario.

We need to be in the mix with Anaheim, Chicago and San Jose next season.
Well I am going to take the opposite stance as one of the always optimistic fans and say we need to be in the top 10 in the NHL. Everybody always says we need to finish bottom 10 because of our pick, I say we use some of those draft picks and young assets to add another top 6 C and a top 4 D. Then Montreal can take our mid to late 20's pick and we still have Florida's mid to late 20's pick plus playoffs. I do agree we can't be in the mushy middle though, either be good or be bad.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:23 AM   #2031
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
His Dad is the stereotypical hockey Dad. What they were hinting at is that Mitch doesn't like the game, doesn't have the love for it that others might and that most of this was all because his Dad pushed it on him.
Seems like a lot of people, including the BB boys, are playing armchair therapist.

I don’t think the Flames should make a move for Marner either but it’s not because there are people out there questioning his desire to play. His dad does look like a piece of work though based on what’s out there in public.

I think the Marner to Utah suggestion seems to make sense. I suspect moving to a market with less high-profile attention could serve him well. Should be an interesting off season for the Leafs.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 08:37 AM   #2032
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Mitch Marman
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:42 AM   #2033
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Dude was born in the GTA, to a hockey-obsessed family, and has to play for the Leafs. And as a former first-rounder.

I can't imagine the kind of pressure that puts on a person. I'd want to get the hell out of there if I was him.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:43 AM   #2034
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like how in less than 2 pages we went from praying for Makar to come home and sign here on his next contract, to talking about how playing for his hometown team must be so hard on Marner and it's no wonder he wants to leave...
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 08:55 AM   #2035
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

McDavid gonna love it there
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:57 AM   #2036
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I like how in less than 2 pages we went from praying for Makar to come home and sign here on his next contract, to talking about how playing for his hometown team must be so hard on Marner and it's no wonder he wants to leave...
I get what you're saying, but the key difference is Makar has already won. Which in the eyes of many changes the math.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:16 AM   #2037
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
They were in playoff contention into the new year. I am talking about a 50 game start, not a 10 game start. They only really took a nose dive into bottom feeder land after the trade deadline.

The current team is really bad. As shown by how the current team played. Their 9th place finish was hugely propped up by their good start.
Haha my bad I guess for not realizing when you said "start" you meant 2/3rds of the season.

I'm not going to die on this hill.

I don't think they are a bottom 5 team unless Wolf can't handle the NHL, but we will get to find out eventually.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 04-30-2024 at 09:18 AM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:22 AM   #2038
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Well I am going to take the opposite stance as one of the always optimistic fans and say we need to be in the top 10 in the NHL. Everybody always says we need to finish bottom 10 because of our pick, I say we use some of those draft picks and young assets to add another top 6 C and a top 4 D. Then Montreal can take our mid to late 20's pick and we still have Florida's mid to late 20's pick plus playoffs. I do agree we can't be in the mushy middle though, either be good or be bad.
Well your plan keeps us in the mushy middle.

We need to draft and develop, and we need stars. We will not be getting a star going into UFA or trading away picks for a top 6C.

The draft is where a team is built. You finish off the team when they are ready by making trades, and some signing.

This is why we are in the position that we are.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 09:26 AM   #2039
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Not sure metrics would match an eye test unless you're specifically looking for them.

It's not an "effort index" it's a making solid reads that keeps your team out of trouble when you're on the ice.

- staying high in the offensive zone when your linemates are deep
- reading a play and covering your defenseman in the defensive zone so they puck never actually gets put back to the dman you're covering
- putting a puck in deep late in a shift so you don't get caught
- putting a puck in deep when you know the opposition has a tired defenseman
- cheating off the wall to cover the high slot when you see a dangerous play developing

Not sure you're going to see these things.

But you do them time and time again and you end up with season over season of great play driving stats.

He likely will never get close to 35 goals again, but the dismissal of this player in the last page is way over the top.
I am not calling him a bum either.

I just said he really isn't as impactful when you watch the games like his numbers say.

I know you provided examples, and that is why it is probably not matching the eye test and the advanced stats.

Some people are saying he is unhappy with his role, I just don't see him doing much with a bigger role he doesn't have that extra gear. If he was a 3.5-4 million player we would be fine.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:26 AM   #2040
Cobra
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I would trade Huberdeau for Marner.
Flip Marner at the trade deadline for a nice package
Then your are out from under the horrible Huberdeau contract and Brad may be dumb enough to do it.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good