Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #1981
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The AA 738 are likely to be MIA based due to cargo.

While the 32X are likely to be ORD and maybe US hub based.

The other reasoning for the 32X and the low config could be they still need weight for cargo, so why waste it on a Y seat. Also the way pilots are paid the A32X pilots will be paid less than the 76X pilots. I doubt they will add many more frequencies - no reason unless corporate clients need more. If they find demand for Y warrants it then they might add in the odd 757 in addition to the A321 but I would doubt it. This way they keep a consistent product for their J and C clients.

With the coming US merger (I havent read but I assume the A32X configs are similar they are likely to soon be the largest operator of A32X in the world and that commonality brings in alot of savings.

They already have 738 and for the msot they are based out of MIA

Last edited by mykalberta; 11-21-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #1982
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/20..._machines.html
Old 11-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #1983
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

CNN has done this pretty cool interactive "day in the life" thing at ATL documenting daily ops at the airport.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/...t=hp_inthenews
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #1984
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Departing a little later on today (our time), is the last SIN-EWR non-stop flight by Singapore Airlines 22, the worlds longest non-stop flight:

http://life.nationalpost.com/2013/11...-to-singapore/

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/S...430Z/WSSS/KEWR
Old 11-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #1985
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

BA's new #lookup campaign puts digital billboards equipped with surveillance technology under flight routes in Britain. When a BA plane flies by, the display switches to a child pointing out the plane passing overhead with the flight number and the destination it's arriving from. Infotainment at its best.

The billboards also show other details including that route's lowest fare or the weather in the origin destination. So far, only two have been set up, one at London's famous Piccadilly Circus and one next to Chiswick.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #1986
Bindair Dundat
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
“There’s nothing more exciting than a big, nasty running airplane, let’s face it,”

Awesome line.
Tom's quite the guy, I've met him quite a few times over the years.

"Passionate" does not even begin to describe the "mission" this man is on...

The real beauty of it is the accessibility you get to the AAM, once they've seen your face a few times. There's a whole lot of really neat "stuff" behind the "Velvet Ropes"...LOL!
It's great news that they have found a direction which will allow them to keep the programs with visiting operational aircraft going. This was a big concern for Tom the last time we spoke, last summer during the visit of "Hawk 1" (the Mark V/VI Sabre, operated by "Discovery Air").

God I love the stench of a nasty old inefficient, Turbo sucking axial...

And the ear-splitting howl too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bindair Dundat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #1987
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

http://home.mytelus.com/p/news/sourc...ticle/26132217

Quote:
Edmonton museum awaiting permission to fly old plane 33 kilometres

Monday, November 25th 2013, 6:40 pm
the canadian press
EDMONTON - The Alberta Aviation Museum in Edmonton is pleading with Transport Canada to fast-track permission to fly an old Boeing 737 to an airport in Villeneuve, just 33 kilometres away.
The museum is currently located at the City Centre Airport near Edmonton's downtown.
However, that airport has been decommissioned and is scheduled for redevelopment and so the museum is relocating its aircraft to Villeneuve, a small community to the northwest of the city.
Executive director Thomas Hendricks says dismantling, trucking or reassembling the old plane is not an option because of the expense involved.
Hendricks says the bird is worth $1.6 million and if it can't be flown to Villeneuve, the museum will have no choice but to destroy it.
What also complicates things is that tenants at the airport only have until this weekend to clear out, and usually it takes months for Transport Canada to decide on such a request.
The city is allowing the plane to sit in a warm hangar to help out the inspectors and make things easier to move quickly should permission be granted.
The plane, which had been in service from 1979 to 2005, was donated to the museum
Hopefully the old gal makes it

If not i suggest a cp group buy
Old 11-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #1988
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why did they wait to literally the last minute to do this?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #1989
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

As much as I love aviation I just don't see the value in preserving a 737, or and other large passenger aircraft. Just because you can get something for free doesn't make it a deal. And this story is a perfect example of why.

I love the fact that it's 'only' 33 km away. Cause that makes it more of a travesty, they do realize the take off, in the middle of town, is the most critical and dangerous part of the transit right? haha
Old 11-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #1990
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I agree, if that thing is actually worth 1.5mil, sell the damn thing and use the funds and space you free up to get some better exhibits. I'm not going to a museum to see a 737.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #1991
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Especially since you can look up and 6 out of 10 times, you will see a 737. Granted, not a 200 but they're pretty much the same.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #1992
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Night landing at LAX seen through the Heads Up Display of a 737-800:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #1993
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Any military activity out of YYC yesterday? Heard a crazy loud and super fast jet flyover the NE. Curious as to what it was?
Old 11-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #1994
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

A CF-18 flew over the south yesterday.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #1995
Scoopdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I saw a jet fly over downtown at 3:00. Pretty cool sight.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #1996
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

So fuelling it up, firing it up (for the first time in how long) , safetying it to be able to take off and land no matter how short a distance, and the costs associated with that, and cost of pilots and Transport Canada mechanics, but towing it 33km is costing more?
Old 11-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #1997
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
So fuelling it up, firing it up (for the first time in how long) , safetying it to be able to take off and land no matter how short a distance, and the costs associated with that, and cost of pilots and Transport Canada mechanics, but towing it 33km is costing more?
yup
Old 11-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #1998
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

New ultra-low cost carrier coming to Western Canada. "Jetline"!

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Old 11-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #1999
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've known this was coming for a while and it's only mildly relevant to us as many YYC fliers frequent PHX, but the American and US Airways merger has been approved. The new airline will be handily the largest in the world, and rule the eastern seaboard. It is their claim that this mega-airline won't decrease competition because of various clauses in the deal that, among other things, allocate slots to low-cost carriers like Southwest and JetBlue.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #2000
Bindair Dundat
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
FYI?

They flew it out today.

Video from the local (Edmonton area) media is available.

Wish I could have been there to see it...PWA "rides again".

If only for a brief hop.

They have kept that aircraft up since acquiring it. I've been there a few times when they fired her up. Big stinky turbos on that one too. Love that "stuff"...
Closed Thread

Tags
airplanes , avgeeks , aviation , flight , spotters