Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2022, 08:47 AM   #1981
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just took my puppy to the park a few days ago (to do leash training) and my neighbors dog who is 3 times the size and off leash immediately charged at him, and upon approaching gave the puppy a massive swat across the face. I lost my marbles and took a hook swing at the dog missing it by inches. I wish I connected.

Again untrained dog and that isn’t the dogs fault. The good news is if it decided to attack my puppy it probably wouldn’t have injured it severely. Unlike a bully breed.

So its nothing against bully breeds, its on the owners, but thats why we can’t afford to have them around. Its just too dangerous a risk.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:54 AM   #1982
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rottweiler lunged at the front of my 3/4 ton truck last night driving out of my street. Don't think that was a battle the dog would have won. Owner looked like she nearly dislocated her shoulder when the leash went tight. Why do people buy these things?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:06 AM   #1983
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Rottweiler lunged at the front of my 3/4 ton truck last night driving out of my street. Don't think that was a battle the dog would have won. Owner looked like she nearly dislocated her shoulder when the leash went tight. Why do people buy these things?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 09:25 AM   #1984
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Boy howdy, this turned into an anti-dog/dog owner discussion. Anywho, if the systems in place had reduced the risk of deaths to a frequency equal to or less than death by lightning strike, would you consider that adequate?

The response, I'm sure, will be "one death is too many". That poor woman and her surviving family went through, is going through, the worst of tragedies. No one could argue that. Those dogs should be euthanized and I'm sure they will be. That owner, will likely be punished as they should be.

Every system requires tweaks and continuous improvement. Not sure if a complete overhaul, and the money/resources required to implement a complete overhaul of the dog control system, would be supported by statistics.

The dog attack which bumped this thread, or any dog attack, is terrible but dogs in general bring far more good to society than bad. Especially in the field of mental health (I would put a link in, but a Google of "dogs and mental health" will bring up all the reading material one would need if you feel that statement has no foundation).
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:25 AM   #1985
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
The dog attack which bumped this thread, or any dog attack, is terrible but dogs in general bring far more good to society than bad. Especially in the field of mental health (I would put a link in, but a Google of "dogs and mental health" will bring up all the reading material one would need if you feel that statement has no foundation).
I don't think I've ever seen a pitbull service dog. Nobody is asking to ban all dogs (well except maybe Sliver), just the single most dangerous breed. Once the obvious first step is done then evaluate the others
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 10:42 AM   #1986
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I got bitten on the ankle twice last winter on my fat bike. Both times I slowed right down and talked calmly to the dog, until it started nipping at me and I took off, only to have the thing chase after me and keep biting at my ankle.

I've hit zero dogs or people with my bike or car.

I don't understand the shrugging off of ####ty dogs and dog owners. I get extra pissed off by ####ty cyclists, because they are the reason the rest of us get negatively stereotyped constantly. I wish jerk cyclists would get ticketed like crazy.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 10:55 AM   #1987
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I got bitten on the ankle twice last winter on my fat bike. Both times I slowed right down and talked calmly to the dog, until it started nipping at me and I took off, only to have the thing chase after me and keep biting at my ankle.

I've hit zero dogs or people with my bike or car.

I don't understand the shrugging off of ####ty dogs and dog owners. I get extra pissed off by ####ty cyclists, because they are the reason the rest of us get negatively stereotyped constantly. I wish jerk cyclists would get ticketed like crazy.
Ya, but CliffFletcher thinks it isn't a big deal if a dog barks at him, so your experiences are invalid. Check and mate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 10:56 AM   #1988
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Unless I've missed it they haven't provided any updates on the owners or the dogs? No charges?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:03 AM   #1989
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Unless I've missed it they haven't provided any updates on the owners or the dogs? No charges?
A friend of mine, his dog was bit by another dog a while back (not badly) and the animal services investigation took about 2 weeks ish. I'd guess a high profile case like this will take substantially longer, especially if police are involved as well.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:15 AM   #1990
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

According to the 2016 census, Calgary has over 135,000 dogs in the city, if the majority were considered bad owners, I imagine we'd hear more about dog bites.

Quote:
In 2014, the city had 641 confirmed reports of aggression incidents, with 252 dog bites, despite a large upsurge over that period in the city’s human and pet population. The numbers of bites saw a marked rise starting in 2012, but officials say it’s due to a recent campaign asking residents to report all forms of bites. In 2014, pit bulls were responsible for 16 per cent of bites, retrievers for 9 per cent and shepherds for 10 per cent.
I think most dog owners get pissed off when they hear about ####ty owners, I know I do.. but much like any other group (cyclists for example), it's usually a small idiotic minority that make the majority look bad.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:23 AM   #1991
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's a minority, why is it 9/10 dog owners can't read an off leash area sign on Nose Hill?

It's partially the city's fault for having horrible signage, but if you look at the tiny area it should be clear enough.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:29 AM   #1992
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, but CliffFletcher thinks it isn't a big deal if a dog barks at him, so your experiences are invalid. Check and mate.
It’s all anecdotes in this thread. Nobody has offered up any data showing dog ownership in general has gotten “out of control” in Calgary, or that most users find off-leash parks dangerous or useless.

Maybe your petition to close down Calgary’s off-leash parks will raise the profile of the issue. You’ve got four or five people on CP onboard, so it’s off to a great start.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:41 AM   #1993
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A lot of people get dogs now for the Gram, but don't sign up for all the additional responsibilities entailed.

They are pretty dependent creatures. As much as I would love to have one for the trails, I know there is much more involved and I wouldn't pull the trigger unless I was prepared for all the care and supervision involved.

Especially a large breed.

I know I certainly wouldn't leave it in a yard with small fences for hours on end like some owners do.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-15-2022 at 11:43 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:42 AM   #1994
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If it's a minority, why is it 9/10 dog owners can't read an off leash area sign on Nose Hill?

It's partially the city's fault for having horrible signage, but if you look at the tiny area it should be clear enough.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s partly a “when in Rome” thing. You may have 9 dog walkers show up with the intention of staying on leash, but #10 goes off leash, and that’s likely the untrained, non recall dog. That can create some issues with the on leash dogs, where it’s actually safer to let them off leash due to the fight or flight, leash aggression response. Others then see off leash dogs and figure it’s ok.
As a rule, we avoid off leash areas.
Brendone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:17 PM   #1995
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a pitbull service dog. Nobody is asking to ban all dogs (well except maybe Sliver), just the single most dangerous breed. Once the obvious first step is done then evaluate the others
https://www.k9ofmine.com/best-breeds-for-service-dogs/

Pitbulls are #10 on this particular list.

For the record, I'm not a pitbull owner or even a huge fan. I just don't think banning would be effective. Whenever humans ban something a black market is created.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #1996
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
A guy that walks in my neighborhood park has an 11 year old Pitty that was/ is his service dog. He's had it since he got back from the war in Afghanistan.

Awesome pup, not aggressive at all, and I'm pretty sure she's his best friend
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:32 PM   #1997
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Solution is simple, once per year, the city mails out the antidote to all registered dog holders.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:20 PM   #1998
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Boy howdy, this turned into an anti-dog/dog owner discussion. Anywho, if the systems in place had reduced the risk of deaths to a frequency equal to or less than death by lightning strike, would you consider that adequate?

The response, I'm sure, will be "one death is too many". That poor woman and her surviving family went through, is going through, the worst of tragedies. No one could argue that. Those dogs should be euthanized and I'm sure they will be. That owner, will likely be punished as they should be.

Every system requires tweaks and continuous improvement. Not sure if a complete overhaul, and the money/resources required to implement a complete overhaul of the dog control system, would be supported by statistics.

The issue is that a major way to mitigate risk seems painfully obvious. Why are we still allowing people to breed attack, fighting, work, etc.. dogs for domestic purposes?

Regulating breeds and mandatory owner training (we don't let people drive without a license) seem like easy fixes.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:13 PM   #1999
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For the record, I'm not a pitbull owner or even a huge fan. I just don't think banning would be effective. Whenever humans ban something a black market is created.

That would be great. I don't care if you have an after market pit bull. As long as you have to hide it in your house for it's entire life or get it taken away and destroyed.
Old 06-15-2022, 04:22 PM   #2000
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

Well it's already illegal to own a lot of animals, I don't see any black market for owners of exotic pets in Calgary. And a pitbull isn't exactly as easy to hide as drugs are
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking