Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2024, 03:56 PM   #181
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Ugh! It's rationale. (sorry, but this one drives me nuts)

Rational is what you are being (or not being)

Rationale is a noun, the reasons for your actions.
just be rationale about it
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 03:57 PM   #182
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Now you're just being irrational in your expectations of the boards rational use of rationale.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 03:58 PM   #183
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sorry grammar police
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 04:02 PM   #184
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Flames are keeping Markstrom for the rest of the season

Sorry, have no idea how to embed tweets anymore but this is funny cause it’s true

https://x.com/wincolumncgy/status/17...98YNG99lson1SQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 13 14 2 34

Last edited by Reign of Fire; 02-29-2024 at 04:18 PM.
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Reign of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 04:03 PM   #185
Gugstanley
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe Markstrom has had enough of this #### and said he was staying.

If you need to send a message to players you have the wrong players. A lot of young guys are getting great opportunities this season and they are happy as can be.

The only message I see is that management recognizes this team isn't good enough and is trying to fix it. Brad was terrible and that will take a while to undo.
Gugstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:06 PM   #186
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's hilarious watching people react to trades.

Everyone demanding to trade Tanev, then most don't like the trade even though Tanev was never going to get a 1st rd pick.

If we aren't trading Markstrom it's because the offers aren't good enough to make it worthwhile. If Conroy traded Markstrom for less than what's been reported people would be mad at that return too.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:06 PM   #187
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I think you are just being bias.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 04:07 PM   #188
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ideally, the Flames would trade Markstrom for a massive return. The return was probably underwhelming. But, it's not like he's a UFA and the Flames will lose him for nothing if they don't trade him. He can still have value during his contract, and hopefully it goes up.
The risk is that he doesn't perform this well ever again, and it is a real risk.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:07 PM   #189
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
It's hilarious watching people react to trades.

Everyone demanding to trade Tanev, then most don't like the trade even though Tanev was never going to get a 1st rd pick.

If we aren't trading Markstrom it's because the offers aren't good enough to make it worthwhile. If Conroy traded Markstrom for less than what's been reported people would be mad at that return too.
The only thing worse than a terrible trade is a no trade.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 04:08 PM   #190
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
He's not a pending UFA. Conroy promised he wasn't walking players to UFA, and he has a year to make that happen with Markstrom. Is he letting the best deals fall away now? Maybe, but that's just a business risk.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:08 PM   #191
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Only one of those years was bad. 20-21 he was great, got hurt, came back too soon which affected his play and then was great again.

Markstrom is a remarkably consistent goalie stats wise. 22-23 was a terrible year to be no good and that was coming off a bad loss in the POs (after a great win).

I'm pretty comfortable GMs know what Markstrom is.
Injury impacted the 20-21 season for sure, but in the end he still had a .904 save percentage which was very average.

And he's 34 years old...while he was consistent earlier in his career, he hasn't been consistently good in Calgary. Now there are reasons for that, but it's just the facts.

I think getting the returns that have been rumoured is an absolute re-tool altering return that nobody would have expected 40 games ago.

Sure he's been the MVP for 37 games this year, but in the offseason people thought we couldn't give that contract away.

You need to always look at the big picture and full body of work, and to me that screams SELL HIGH. Especially considering the position of this full roster without Hanifin and Tanev.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:11 PM   #192
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I disagree. I'll take no trade for a player who isn't a ufa, can mentor Wolf, and wants to actually be here over a terrible trade.

The last thing this team needs is another Ruslan Zainullin.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 04:12 PM   #193
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Teams without a #1 goalie are rarely contenders to begin with. And we really have no idea that either Quick or Fleury has any interest in mentoring a younger goalie.
We have no idea if Markstrom has any interest in that either.

No guy we have is going to instruct Wolf on how to stop pucks... if we get a guy to be a mentor for Wolf it would be to advise him on the mental and preparation aspects of being a pro at the highest level. You don't need specifically Markstrom for that and you certainly don't need him at the cost of maximizing his asset value for that.

The point is that we don't need Markstrom to be a mentor for Wolf if we want a veteran goalie to use his veterany goodness to hand out his veteran presents like Goalie Santa we can sign a guy to do that. They likely won't stop pucks as good as Markstrom has this year but that's immaterial to the question of mentorship.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:12 PM   #194
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Injury impacted the 20-21 season for sure, but in the end he still had a .904 save percentage which was very average.

And he's 34 years old...while he was consistent earlier in his career, he hasn't been consistently good in Calgary. Now there are reasons for that, but it's just the facts.

I think getting the returns that have been rumoured is an absolute re-tool altering return that nobody would have expected 40 games ago.

Sure he's been the MVP for 37 games this year, but in the offseason people thought we couldn't give that contract away.

You need to always look at the big picture and full body of work, and to me that screams SELL HIGH. Especially considering the position of this full roster without Hanifin and Tanev.
The average .904 percentage was precisely because of his early return. Knock out those and his average is consistent with the rest of his career except for last year.

The offseason people thinking he was done are emotional fans, not knowledgeable GMs. They were wrong then, obviously.

Markstrom may slide some, and the best deal might have been now. But maybe not. It's pretty tough when there is only one real suitor. Maybe there will be more of a bidding war later.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:12 PM   #195
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only positive I can get from this is twofold:
- with other teams in the mix you never know how those teams will ultimately end up in the final standings so you may get a better pick than 25th overall you’d likely get by selling him now.
- you’re likely to get next years’ picks which bodes a better draft

The ####ty parts are numerous:
- crappier position putting the risk of being in the middle and giving up the pick to Montreal
- chance Markstrom falters and hurts his off season value

Personally I’m really annoyed at hearing the news. Would love to hear what’s currently on the table but it seems like there’s little upside to wait to the offseason. Seems like a be message in favour of playoff revenue.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:12 PM   #196
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or keeping a player who can keep you from
Drafting your next franchise player

All these trade are to add bullets and depth to the organization . But you need some top draft picks to rebuild the high end talent pool of this team

This year is another missed opportunity to do it and pushing a proper rebuild out 1 year IMO

I am very happy with what Conroy is doing , but if (when) we finish 13-16th it will hurt long term . This is why you can’t half arse a rebuild . You need to refresh the top end talent and hoping for diamonds in the rough isn’t how you do it

Get the top players with top picks , and hope you find a diamond or 2 in the rough to add to the high drafted core
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:14 PM   #197
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time for a poll?

If a good deal is there to move Markstrom, should they move him? Yes or No
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 04:15 PM   #198
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My guess is that the offers haven't been up to caliber of the asset being moved. Could be posturing but sounds like they are committed to keeping him now unless someone becomes desperate and submits an offer that can't be refused.

Personally I would rather move him (depending on the return of course) as he was a player deemed a liability last year. He could very easily regress and go back to where he was last year which would then be a wasted opportunity to capitalize.

In all of this I hope the Flames realize that they still need to do a rebuild/re-tool as you can see that our positioning in the standings has a lot to do with Markstrom. There is work that needs to be done and probably some pain that goes a long with it.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 04:16 PM   #199
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
I disagree. I'll take no trade for a player who isn't a ufa, can mentor Wolf, and wants to actually be here over a terrible trade.

The last thing this team needs is another Ruslan Zainullin.
I'm joking. I'm talking as a fan. Fans like trades more than wins, good or bad. They don't care about the team they want to have some things to talk about.

Everyone thinks those couple rumoured prospects were the ones we would be getting. Its NEVER a prospect that has been talked about, its always some prospect 7th on the teams list that no one has heard of.

It wasn't Holtz on the table, it was Graeme Clarke that we were offered.
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 04:17 PM   #200
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

I don’t hate keeping Markstrom. Getting a haul to use for a retool/rebuild would be great. But avoiding being a team that evokes toilet bowl metaphors with bottom of the standings play would suck on a cold winter’s night for the next couple years. Add on the benefit of having Marky around to mentor Wolf and helping make the team at least somewhat competitive to create a positive environment for all the young players who will wear the uniform in the next couple years has value. I’m good with either option, and if an overpay wasn’t on the table then I like keeping him around. I haven’t forgotten what it’s like having crappy goalies, so unless it’s worth it why throw one away. Outside of Vernon, Kipper and Marky with honourable mention to Lemelin and Riggin the Flames goalies have ranged from mediocre to embarrassingly bad since forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ford Prefect For This Useful Post: