Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2023, 12:44 PM   #181
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

The goal this season needs to be draft stock. if we could get 2 more 1sts and another 2 or 3 2nd/3rd rounders id be extatic.

Mix in adding a few good prospects as well.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2023, 01:41 PM   #182
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoman View Post
My son is Zeev’s teammate in Denver so I watch every game and have gotten to know the boys. Zeev is an absolute stud. Incredible poise and skill. Very good compete level but does need to improve in the D zone. He’s not at all a liability back there and commits himself defensively but just needs to keep working at it. I’d be ecstatic with the Flames taking him.

Hmmmmmm...

I looked up the Roster in Denver. No player named Tacoman on the team.

Very Sus 🤨

Lol jk.

That must be exciting having your boy playing at such a high level!

Congrats
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2023, 02:03 PM   #183
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, it looks like Denver loves to recruit from Western Canada, and especially Calgary. They have 4 players from Calgary and one from Cochrane (plus another from St. Albert and a couple from Saskatchewan).

They have more players from Calgary than Colorado.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/re...ster/Denver/20
Old 12-10-2023, 03:02 PM   #184
Tacoman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Hmmmmmm...

I looked up the Roster in Denver. No player named Tacoman on the team.

Very Sus 🤨

Lol jk.

That must be exciting having your boy playing at such a high level!

Congrats

LOL. True. He changed his name to get away from the pressure of being Tacoman Jr.

It’s been an absolute thrill seeing him progress and a massive thrill to watch that caliber of hockey. Makes it tough to watch the Flames sometimes!
Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tacoman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2023, 04:08 PM   #185
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’m embarrassed to ask this because I know it’s been discussed a lot. Can someone explain the Monahan draft situation. Do the Flames have their 1st rounder next season? I thought Montreal got Florida’s 1st last season. I’m so lost and frustrated with this Treliving trade, what a moronic trade. I can’t believe ownership let him trade a 1st for cap space!. So again embarrassingly can someone very slowly explain this to me. I know the answer is going to make me sick to stomach
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudreau is a Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2023, 05:44 PM   #186
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
I’m embarrassed to ask this because I know it’s been discussed a lot. Can someone explain the Monahan draft situation. Do the Flames have their 1st rounder next season? I thought Montreal got Florida’s 1st last season. I’m so lost and frustrated with this Treliving trade, what a moronic trade. I can’t believe ownership let him trade a 1st for cap space!. So again embarrassingly can someone very slowly explain this to me. I know the answer is going to make me sick to stomach
No need to feel embarrassed. It's pretty convoluted. Basically, if the Flames 1st rounder is between 20-32 in 2024, the Habs can opt to take that pick. If it is 1-19, then it is protected. If they don't get the 2024 1st, they will get either Florida or Calgary 1st in 2025 unless it falls under the stated protection conditions. If they don't get the 2024 or 2025 picks because of the protection conditions, then they get a 2026 1st rounder, which could end up being a lottery pick.

Capfriendly has a summary of the conditions:

Quote:
2025 1st round pick (CGY) [Conditional]*

1. If CGY’s 2024 1st round pick is between 20 and 32, MTL can take that pick instead. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY receives FLA’s 2025 1st round pick:

1. If both CGY AND FLA’s picks are NOT top 10, MTL will receive the better of the CGY and FLA 2025 1st round picks. Result: TBD

2. If CGY’s pick is top 10, AND FLA’s pick is NOT top 10, MTL receives FLA’s pick. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY does NOT receive FLA’s 1st round pick:

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is NOT top 10:

1. MTL will receive the CGY pick, and

2. If FLA’s pick is not top 10, is a better pick than CGY’s, and was transferred to another team due to prior conditions, MTL will also receive CGY’s 2025 4th round pick. Result: TBD

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is top 10:

1. If CGY’s pick is 1st overall, MTL will receive CGY’s 2025 3rd, and the better of CGY and FLA’s 2026 1st round pick. Result: TBD

2. If CGY’s pick is 2nd to 10th, MTL receives CGY’s 2025 1st round pick. Result: TBD

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 12-10-2023 at 06:13 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2023, 06:02 PM   #187
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You can’t look at that trade without assuming how desperate the wizard was for the last shot before he quit

Who cares about the Flames future

He has without the doubt done more damage to the flames than any GMs before him. Not even Feaster, not even Button , not even Risebrough who was an idiot.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2023, 06:08 PM   #188
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Treliving "milburied" this franchise, hope he fails miserably in TO. Wizard cmon. he probably made up that nickname for himself much like the Maestro in Seinfeld.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2023, 06:23 PM   #189
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
No need to feel embarrassed. It's pretty convoluted. Basically, if the Flames 1st rounder is between 20-32 in 2024, the Habs can opt to take that pick. If it is 1-19, then it is protected. If they don't get the 2024 1st, they will get either Florida or Calgary 1st in 2025 unless it falls under the stated protection conditions. If they don't get the 2024 or 2025 picks because of the protection conditions, then they get a 2026 1st rounder, which could end up being a lottery pick.

Capfriendly has a summary of the conditions:
So as long as Florida is not a top ten pick in 2025 mlt has to take that pick?
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 06:33 PM   #190
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the best article to understand the conditions.
https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/0...monahan-trade/
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2023, 06:39 PM   #191
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
So as long as Florida is not a top ten pick in 2025 mlt has to take that pick?
That's where it gets even more convoluted. The 2025 Florida 1st rounder also has conditions tied to it in a trade Florida made with Philly. If Florida's 2024 1st rounder which was conditionally traded to Philly is top 10, then Philly gets Florida's 2025 1st rounder instead, and the Flames pick slides to 2026.

In all likelihood, Florida's pick will not be top 10 in 2024 though, so we should get the 2025 pick.
Old 12-10-2023, 06:46 PM   #192
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
This is the best article to understand the conditions.
https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/0...monahan-trade/
So, assuming we receive Florida’s 2025 pick (because Florida’s 1st in 2024 is not going to be top-10) then:

If CGY and FLA’s 2025 1st round picks are both top-10, Montreal get’s Calgary’s pick unless it is 1st overall.

If CGY’s pick is top-10, but FLA’s is not -> Montreal gets Florida’s.

If neither CGY or FLA’s picks are top-10 -> Montreal gets the better of the two.

So really, unless Florida ends up with a top-10 pick in 2025, we’re fine.

So, Chucky and Benny need to friggin deliver the goods. The situation seems to get more dangerous if Florida’s 2024 is top-10.

Last edited by ComixZone; 12-10-2023 at 06:51 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2023, 08:57 PM   #193
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
You can’t look at that trade without assuming how desperate the wizard was for the last shot before he quit

Who cares about the Flames future

He has without the doubt done more damage to the flames than any GMs before him. Not even Feaster, not even Button , not even Risebrough who was an idiot.
This might ruffle some feathers, but I think Treliving knew he was quitting for a long time and it impacted most of the signings, contract negotiations, and trades he made over his tenure. Mortgaging the future didn't matter because he always knew he'd move on once the opportunity came up, and Dubas being unsigned in Toronto was likely his target for at least a full year.
Old 12-10-2023, 09:11 PM   #194
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
This might ruffle some feathers, but I think Treliving knew he was quitting for a long time and it impacted most of the signings, contract negotiations, and trades he made over his tenure. Mortgaging the future didn't matter because he always knew he'd move on once the opportunity came up, and Dubas being unsigned in Toronto was likely his target for at least a full year.
I don't agree with if you go back more than a year, but I do agree that he likely already had his mindset on getting the Toronto job when the Leafs struggled and he was faced with losing two star players last off season.

It was labelled the summer of Brad and hailed all over the hockey world and absolutely helped elevate him at a time when a position was becoming available in Toronto. I wouldn't look past last summer for signs of no longer worrying about the long term plays of his current team, though, that wouldn't be right.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 10:56 AM   #195
serratedmuffin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Mock draft from the score this morning has Flames taking Saliyev at 8th overall.
Almost Chara sized and skates really well. They mention decision making as an area of improvement. The underlined always scares me with prospects
Old 12-11-2023, 02:00 PM   #196
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by serratedmuffin View Post
Mock draft from the score this morning has Flames taking Saliyev at 8th overall.
Almost Chara sized and skates really well. They mention decision making as an area of improvement. The underlined always scares me with prospects
As usual that mock over-indexes on forwards. I think 7 dmen will go in the top 10 (they have only 4 going in the top 10). This is a great draft to get a top dman. I bet Saliyev is long gone by the time it reaches the Flames.

But a guy like Lindstrom could also drop to the Flames.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 02:11 PM   #197
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really I could see the Flames drafting as high as 6th by the end of the season, Minnesota and Buffalo really should pass them if they move Hanifin, Lindholm, and Tanev.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 02:12 PM   #198
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
So, assuming we receive Florida’s 2025 pick (because Florida’s 1st in 2024 is not going to be top-10) then:

If CGY and FLA’s 2025 1st round picks are both top-10, Montreal get’s Calgary’s pick unless it is 1st overall.

If CGY’s pick is top-10, but FLA’s is not -> Montreal gets Florida’s.

If neither CGY or FLA’s picks are top-10 -> Montreal gets the better of the two.

So really, unless Florida ends up with a top-10 pick in 2025, we’re fine.

So, Chucky and Benny need to friggin deliver the goods. The situation seems to get more dangerous if Florida’s 2024 is top-10.

Good summary.
At this point we can be pretty confident that the pick will be in 2025. Ideally next season, the Flames finish in the bottom 10 and the Panthers remain competitive (I assume they will) to ensure we retain the higher of the two picks. This is the best possible scenario at this point.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 02:21 PM   #199
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoman View Post
My son is Zeev’s teammate in Denver so I watch every game and have gotten to know the boys. Zeev is an absolute stud. Incredible poise and skill. Very good compete level but does need to improve in the D zone. He’s not at all a liability back there and commits himself defensively but just needs to keep working at it. I’d be ecstatic with the Flames taking him.
It's interesting...his hockeydb and eliteprospects page have him at 5'10" and 5.11" respectively, and then the Denver page has him at 6'2".

If he actually hit a growth spurt and is 6'2" instead of under 6'0" then he's probably going to be a top 5 pick with that type of NCAA production.

I'd also be ecstatic if the Flames take him...draft eligible d-men don't produce that way and it's up there with how Fox and Hutson produced in their Draft+1 (still drives me crazy the Flames took Ronni over Hutson).
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 05:05 PM   #200
Tacoman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It's interesting...his hockeydb and eliteprospects page have him at 5'10" and 5.11" respectively, and then the Denver page has him at 6'2".

If he actually hit a growth spurt and is 6'2" instead of under 6'0" then he's probably going to be a top 5 pick with that type of NCAA production.

I'd also be ecstatic if the Flames take him...draft eligible d-men don't produce that way and it's up there with how Fox and Hutson produced in their Draft+1 (still drives me crazy the Flames took Ronni over Hutson).

He’s 5’11. Maybe 6’0” at best.
Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tacoman For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft