Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2024, 02:48 PM   #181
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
The Oilers are being talked about as the #1 threat coming out of the West by almost everyone but people on this forum. Someone giving them their flowers, even a negative Flames fan, doesn't make them an Oilers fan. Stop gate keeping fandom.
Wholly crap watch a game, don’t buy into the Mavi sword swallowing media… it’s embarrassing the push for the Oilers to get to the promise land whe. They literally have zero chance to do so. Anyone who thinks the Oilers are the biggest threat in the West has never watched a damn game in their life. More holes in their roster than a block of Swiss cheese and only reason they are where they are in the standings is a generationally soft schedule. No chance they get by Dallas, Colorado, Vegas, Winnipeg or even likely Vancouver in a 7 game series. In fact I would rank the Oilers 6th out of 8 in the West of those in the playoffs currently.
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sofa GM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 02:52 PM   #182
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember Henrique as a rookie having his first NHL fight against Iggy. He had a Gordie Howe that night.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 02:53 PM   #183
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
You've posted this a couple of times - are you under the impression that you are the only one here that is aware of that?

Also, pretty sure that poster you are defending is an Oiler fan.

I know a majority of people are aware of this, but it's more so making it clear how the opinion the Oilers suck is not a widely held opinion, so someone here not having that opinion shouldn't be used to define their fandom.

He could be for all I know, but it seems unfair to make the assumption he is based on being negative towards the Flames current team and positive towards the Oilers current team. That's sort of an average take for most people.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 02:58 PM   #184
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they were basing it on more than just that post.

Anyway, whatever.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:05 PM   #185
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oilers suck because the Oilers always suck.

But I do worry they could make a run this year. They've overcame adversity in the season, continue to add d-bags that will help in the playoffs for free, and their underlying offensive and defensive stats are great (Ekholm-Bouchard pairing has been great).

In the end goaltending will be the question mark, but really any goalie can get hot or cold over a 25 game stretch in the playoffs.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 03:11 PM   #186
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand why McDavid allows Holland to make this trade. I mean, trading away a 1st when the player doesn't move the needle. I guess, this year's 1st doesn't matter to him because he will be gone after 2 years.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:13 PM   #187
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
I don't understand why McDavid allows Holland to make this trade.
What makes you think McDavid is any smarter than Holland?
Old 03-06-2024, 03:16 PM   #188
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Maybe they were basing it on more than just that post.

Anyway, whatever.

Well it was more than one post. It was the idea that he was negative on the flames and bullish on the oilers. I just don't think that opinion is so wild as to determine fandom.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:16 PM   #189
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
I don't understand why McDavid allows Holland to make this trade. I mean, trading away a 1st when the player doesn't move the needle. I guess, this year's 1st doesn't matter to him because he will be gone after 2 years.
Hey Holland don't make out team better this year, we'd rather have Reid Schafer V2 to help us in 4 years.

I don't think Holland is done yet either.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:42 PM   #190
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Hey Holland don't make out team better this year, we'd rather have Reid Schafer V2 to help us in 4 years.

I don't think Holland is done yet either.
Trading a future 1st rounder?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:46 PM   #191
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

But I do worry they could make a run this year. They've overcame adversity in the season.
Lol, what adversity? They’ve had no major injuries, a butter-soft schedule, and the refs in their back pocket every single game. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of backup goalies they’ve been fortunate to face.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:49 PM   #192
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Lol, what adversity? They’ve had no major injuries, a butter-soft schedule, and the refs in their back pocket every single game. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of backup goalies they’ve been fortunate to face.
Being 29th in the NHL after 20 games, firing your coach, and then rolling off 16 straight wins to get back in a playoff spot is responding to adversity pretty well IMO.

As a Flames fan I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned they might actually do it this year.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 03:52 PM   #193
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

But I do worry they could make a run this year. They've overcame adversity in the season, continue to add d-bags that will help in the playoffs for free, and their underlying offensive and defensive stats are great (Ekholm-Bouchard pairing has been great).

In the end goaltending will be the question mark, but really any goalie can get hot or cold over a 25 game stretch in the playoffs.
There is no question they got better. How much and is it worth a 1st? Probably not. I will be happy when they lose in the playoffs but it's a bit of a concern how well they have played the last few months. Until they lose, I don't think we can just assume they have no chance.

Next year however, they are really set up that this could be the end. They have a 2nd and then a 5th in next draft, terrible prospects and stars that need to decide if they should move on or try to win here. Very old team with nothing coming this trade could be the nail in the coffin for this team if they lose early in the playoffs.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:52 PM   #194
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Being 29th in the NHL after 20 games, firing your coach, and then rolling off 16 straight games to get back in a playoff spot is responding to adversity pretty well IMO.
Being 29th in the NHL isn't adversity, it's just playing badly.

Outside of that 16-game streak, the Oilers have been 22-20-2. I strongly doubt they saved a bottle of winning to crack open in the playoffs.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:54 PM   #195
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how does this work cap wise. According to cap friendly Carrick is 50% retained so 425k. Probably gets sent down tomorrow. Henrique at 75% is still 1.4M. They haven't had that amount of cap space is years. only thing I recall hearing is Ganger getting sent down, which would barely offset the Carrick portion.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:59 PM   #196
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
So how does this work cap wise. According to cap friendly Carrick is 50% retained so 425k. Probably gets sent down tomorrow. Henrique at 75% is still 1.4M. They haven't had that amount of cap space is years. only thing I recall hearing is Ganger getting sent down, which would barely offset the Carrick portion.
They could send down Holloway and have a mil in cap space. He hasn't been great anyways.

Vet dman retained salary could be their next move or a goalie. Problem is they are very short assets
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 04:03 PM   #197
FusionX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Being 29th in the NHL after 20 games, firing your coach, and then rolling off 16 straight wins to get back in a playoff spot is responding to adversity pretty well IMO.

As a Flames fan I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned they might actually do it this year.
They won't, and neither will the other Canadian teams. Pretenders all of them. Let's see how they do when up against a good team 4-7 times in a row, equal footing and best lineup game after game.

I'm rooting for Dallas and I think they've got a good shot.
FusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 04:04 PM   #198
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

CF has Oilers at just under $400K in cap.

Too bad they're still paying Neal $2M and Campbell $3.85M to not play for them. LOLOL

EDIT: CF still shows Gagner on the NHL roster so they could bury his whole hit.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 04:04 PM   #199
3rd liner
First Line Centre

Exp:

There was always something about Henrique I didn't like, so no surprise he ends up on the oilers. He does make them better as he's a veteran and he'll push one of their plugs off the roster- so that's no good. Doesn't address their glaring needs though.
Isn't Carrick just a face puncher? Do they need another one? They have the giant pylon desharnais as well as Kane.
3rd liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 04:09 PM   #200
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
CF has Oilers at just under $400K in cap.

Too bad they're still paying Neal $2M and Campbell $3.85M to not play for them. LOLOL

EDIT: CF still shows Gagner on the NHL roster so they could bury his whole hit.
I remember looking at CF a little while ago and they barely had 2 cents to rub together. Like you said they still have Gagner up and they still were able to add 2M in salary. Seems like they really should be over.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote