Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #181
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Then why don't other countries have the same viewpoint despite having their own historical events to draw upon? Why don't the French feel like they need to own guns?
I'm not French so I couldn't tell you.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #182
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
I don't know ....I'm thinking more along the lines of a Bolshevik takeover....Obama's wet dream.
I need the name of your dealer. His product is clearly a quality high.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #183
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I am not debating the outcome of the stats, and what they represent. I am pointing out the fact that they aren't even remotely close to what Mikey is claiming. If you are going to make statistical claims, don't make ridiculously false ones.
He said it will most likely be on the top of the list in 2013. He is probably right on that one:
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-c...a-2012-11?op=1

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward...163874546.html

Last edited by FlamingLonghorn; 01-22-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #184
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Oh semi automatic. Like every rifle in the world that's not black powder or bolt action. My bad, I misunderstood when you said automatic.
There's pump action and lever action too.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #185
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Quote:
I answered the question as to why American's think that more than the rest of the world ..
Wah?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #186
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well that wasn't really what I was looking for. The question is why are Americans so different that they point to history as justification while other nations with similar, or more extreme, histories do not? To date I've never heard a pro-gun person give an intelligent answer to this, which makes it very hard for me to buy the history argument.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #187
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Must be why Africa is so full of guns. They are worried about Americans coming over and kidnapping them and putting them to work for no pay.
It happened once.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #188
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well that wasn't really what I was looking for. The question is why are Americans so different that they point to history as justification while other nations with similar, or more extreme, histories do not? To date I've never heard a pro-gun person give an intelligent answer to this, which makes it very hard for me to buy the history argument.
Please...don't lump all pro-gun people in with the pro-2nd amendment crowd. There are those of us that enjoy firearms for reasons that have nothing to do with history or a very outdated document.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #189
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Please...don't lump all pro-gun people in with the pro-2nd amendment crowd. There are those of us that enjoy firearms for reasons that have nothing to do with history or a very outdated document.
Fair enough, that's a good point. I'm just trying to understand the mentality of people who view gun control as an attack on their liberty and such. It makes no sense to me.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #190
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, that's a good point. I'm just trying to understand the mentality of people who view gun control as an attack on their liberty and such. It makes no sense to me.
I haven't really seen an American really express that view here to be honest, maybe PIMking to an extent.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #191
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I haven't really seen an American really express that view here to be honest, maybe PIMking to an extent.
He definitely bordered on that territory, but he's definitely not alone. That view is pretty prominent among a lot of the louder gun rights crowd, and the NRA certainly comes pretty close to that viewpoint itself.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #192
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post

It just feels like the fear is ratcheted up WAY past any common sense.
Since when does the world operate on common sense? It goes both ways, the ridiculous fear mongering comes from both sides of the spectrum so you get a polarized population ready to go at each others throats.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #193
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektor View Post
Since when does the world operate on common sense? It goes both ways, the ridiculous fear mongering comes from both sides of the spectrum so you get a polarized population ready to go at each others throats.
Well when it comes to this topic most other western nations display a pretty good amount of common sense.

Where's the fear mongering from the other side of the spectrum? I haven't heard anybody making any outlandish claims about what will happen if stricter gun measures aren't introduced, but I've heard plenty of Mikey style paranoia from the 2nd Amendment crowd.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #194
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Where's the fear mongering from the other side of the spectrum?
this interview took me about 1 second to find. It literally says "Guns and fear"

Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #195
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
this interview took me about 1 second to find. It literally says "Guns and fear"

Well if we're including 24 media sources that are basically professional fear mongerers I see it, I was talking more about actual people.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #196
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple of basic historic points here, first the British Monarchy in 1776 was not particularly tyranical by the standards of the day, life in the US was pretty much the same as life in the UK and Canada both before and after the revoloution (unless you were Black).

Second it was not guns in the hands of the population that freed the US, it was guns in the hands of the French, at the time the US decided to revolt (which incidently was after the UK had cleared out the French and subdued the natives, didn't hear any complaints about that awefull George the Third while there was a threat from those quarters in N America) the UK was locked in a death struggle with France, were it not for that the US would have faced the full might of the British Empire and would not have fallen, it is actually a measure of how liberal and untyranical the british empire was that after they had dealt with France the UK didn't decide to use its overwhelming superiority to retake the US after 1815.

It is also ironic for all the talk of tyranny and freedom the only people that were really affected by the revoloution were the blacks, had the British actually put some effort into keeping N America slavery would have ended in the late 18th century and blacks would not had to endure 200 more years of slavery lynching and Jim Crow disenfranchisement.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #197
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Did you spend the time to actually watch the video? I don't think it supports the point you're trying to make.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #198
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't Thomas Jefferson believe the constitution should be re-written every 20 years? Something along the lines of 'the dead should not rule the living'. Why do people in 2013 have to live by rules written 240 years ago?

Times change, people change, rules change. People act like adding stricter gun control or limiting magazine sizes or registering their guns is the same as taking them away. I'm in the camp that I enjoy guns, shot them from time to time and they can be enjoyable but no one needs an AR-15 because it's only purpose is to kill people or have fun. Well one outweighs the other IMO when 20 children are shot dead within seconds. You don't need an AR-15 and 30 bullet magazine to hunt a dear, or if you do get a better hobby because you have a terrible shot.

There is a happy medium to all this to keep people safe while still having access to guns but unfortunately the NRA types don't want to compromise because "Obama is coming". You are have to remember as much as they claim to be all about their members rights their only concern is for the gun manufactures and sales. The fact the gun show loophole is still open proves that. It's not about safety, it's about sales.

Never been prouder to be a Canadian!

And please for the love of god please stop bringing up the tyranny angle of this. It's not going to happen and even if it did you wouldn't stand a chance regardless. How did France do against Hilter's Germany? Did he take away their guns first too?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #199
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
Didn't Thomas Jefferson believe the constitution should be re-written every 20 years? Something along the lines of 'the dead should not rule the living'. Why do people in 2013 have to live by rules written 240 years ago?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #200
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was a smart, smart man.
Closed Thread