Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #181
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The snowbase at Mt Washington is at 75 cm. There has been a dominant inversion weather pattern with the clouds hanging around a low level allowing for very mild temperatures on the mountain and much cooler at sea level. In other words, the skiing sucks and there are limited runs.

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #182
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at fernie yesterday and the conditions were just alright. I don't think they had had much snow in the previous few days, so most runs were pretty hard packed. The clouds were very low in the valley, so the visibility was terrible higher up the mountain.
I've been to fernie 3 times now, and have never had a great day of snow. Must just be bad luck, the way everyone usually talks about fernie.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:42 AM   #183
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone been to Revelstoke recently. Supposed to go this weekend. How are conditions/the drive up?
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #184
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Two bluebird days at the Lake this weekend. Unfortunately, I think I just re-tore my ACL for the second time in three years yesterday. Life basically sucks, is what I'm saying.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #185
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I was at fernie yesterday and the conditions were just alright. I don't think they had had much snow in the previous few days, so most runs were pretty hard packed. The clouds were very low in the valley, so the visibility was terrible higher up the mountain.
I've been to fernie 3 times now, and have never had a great day of snow. Must just be bad luck, the way everyone usually talks about fernie.
Fernie can get super good powder days, but they also get their fair share of wet rainy days too.

If they don't get snow for a while, skiiing/riding on their hardpack is terrible.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #186
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went with my daughter and her school to Canyon (in Dead Rear) on Friday. Her second time on skis and she took to it like a fish to water.

She has one more trip mid-Feb, and I have told her that if she can ski a blue run we will hit the mountains. I suspect she will do it no worries.

That brings me to a question. My recollection is that Sunshine would be a good place to start. The resort is set up with a “central” hub.

Thoughts?
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #187
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sunshine is a great spot to start. Lots of wide open flatter areas. I find that you end up doing a lot of cross country-like skiing since there's so many flatter areas, you really get to practise all your proper ski techniques on these areas. Lots of shorter runs too so you can hop from chairlift to chairlift to find what you like. Other then Goat's eye, I've always found Sunshine to be a good beginner, yet big type hill.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #188
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Has anyone been to Revelstoke recently. Supposed to go this weekend. How are conditions/the drive up?
They haven't had any real snow in a while so your timing could be better. I would expect the drive to be a breeze since there really hasn't been any snow out there in almost 2 weeks.

That being said, they have had over 500+ cm so it's not like you're going to be hitting rocks - you're just going to have to burn up a lot of corduroid.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #189
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Heading to Whitefish on Thursday for the weekend, anyone been lately?
MacDaddy77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #190
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also I'm looking for a set of skis for my friends daughter looking for 80 or 90 cm skis, anyone know a family with outgrown skis they'd recycle for not allot of money?
MacDaddy77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #191
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Conditions looking good in BC for the long weekend.

Anyone been on Revvy/Kicking Horse the last week or two?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #192
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Ski Banff Canada's Big 3

POWDER ALERT
Last 48hrs - Lake Louise 15cm. Sunshine 14cm. Norquay 5cm.
Here's your prescription off work from SkiBig3's Dr. Snow.
Enjoy.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #193
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

They use the term "powder" very generously.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #194
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Conditions looking good in BC for the long weekend.

Anyone been on Revvy/Kicking Horse the last week or two?
I was at Revy 2 weeks ago. It was decent, but I would suspect if it hasn't snowed there recently it's probably gotten worse. My buddy was at Kicking Horse last weekend and said it sucked. Way too icy and no snow for something like 2 weeks. I know it supposed to snow this weekend and hopefully those hills should be decent enough for family day weekend.

For all the snow we've gotten in Calgary and the crazy amount of cold, this has been one of the crappiest ski seasons in recent memory. I've gone skiing almost every weekend and haven't really had a good powder day yet. I can only think of 1 time I went where I was impressed with the conditions, and that was at Castle Mountain a couple weeks ago. Otherwise it's been pretty darn brutal almost everytime I've gone out. I hope it turns around in the upcoming weeks.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #195
KidCanada
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default fernie

Has anyone stayed at Fernie Slopeside Lodge- they have a groupon on right now, just wondering if anyone has experience staying there?

https://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-fer...lodge-1#tabs-2
KidCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #196
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Serious avalanche danger
http://avalanche.pc.gc.ca/bulletin-eng.aspx?r=1&d=today
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:03 PM   #197
jofillips
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

kicking horse/golden is pretty amazing right now - 12 more centimetres tonite!
The drive up to the resort is stunning, just shows you how much snow there is right now.
jofillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #198
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taking the day off this Friday to hit up Louise. I saw they've gotten almost 2 feet of snow in the last 7 days, and with more to come. Hopefully it will finally be the nice powder day I've dreamed of all season!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #199
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I went with my daughter and her school to Canyon (in Dead Rear) on Friday. Her second time on skis and she took to it like a fish to water.

She has one more trip mid-Feb, and I have told her that if she can ski a blue run we will hit the mountains. I suspect she will do it no worries.

That brings me to a question. My recollection is that Sunshine would be a good place to start. The resort is set up with a “central” hub.

Thoughts?
I started my kids skiing this season, ages 5,7 and 10. Norquay and Nakiska have worked well because they have easy/open runs and they are not crowded. I'll be heading back to Nakiska Friday.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #200
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Heading to Revvy this weekend. Apparently they have gotten 107 cm in the last 5 days and another 30 by Saturday. Gonna be insane.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote