Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2024, 12:33 PM   #101
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Does anyone know if there's a phone number with the court house were you can get a status on your probate application?
Call Surrogate Court - press "0". Have your file number ready. They don't always answer the phone, so try again.

Phone: (403) 297-7281

Applications filed on paper (not digital service) take 3-4 months for a Grant to issue.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2024, 11:28 AM   #102
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm a bit surprised that nobody here (at least that I saw) touched on the subject of using a Trust post mortem. There are a few advantages for us (admittedly now in the "Geriatric Dinner Crew" mode....thanks Tanny!) who might happen to be over 65, as well as for those younger.

First and foremost, for those who may have significant assets OR cannot "trust" (for lack of a better word) one or more of their heirs or their heirs' spouses, a Trust is a private document. Addiction issues are common-ish and a parent may wish to ensure that they are not furthering problems should they predecease an addicted child.

A Will is public. Provisions within a Trust, however, remain between the creator of the trust and whoever is appointed as Trustee, and frequently are accompanied by a "side letter"...which is non-binding but sets out the individual's desires in a more friendly manner.

For those over 65 an AlterEgo Trust or a Joint Partner Trust can ease tax considerations and also maintain that same "non-public" position such that the family is not entitled to know what there is and "who got what". Not cheap...and typically starting at $10K to write, but they serve a distinct purpose that a Will does not.

Worth consideration for those in the right circumstances.

One way or another...for the sake of others in your family, if you don't have a Will and DO have some assets, please make a Will. Yes, it's unpleasant. But it's necessary.

And, if you are an Executor, you are generally personally liable for various issues under your fiduciary management...and that is why professional advice is strongly recommended.
Old 05-28-2024, 11:32 AM   #103
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Call Surrogate Court - press "0". Have your file number ready. They don't always answer the phone, so try again.

Phone: (403) 297-7281

Applications filed on paper (not digital service) take 3-4 months for a Grant to issue.
Or just get firebug to do it and it takes like a week.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 02:14 PM   #104
Fuzzy14
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
I'm a bit surprised that nobody here (at least that I saw) touched on the subject of using a Trust post mortem. There are a few advantages for us (admittedly now in the "Geriatric Dinner Crew" mode....thanks Tanny!) who might happen to be over 65, as well as for those younger.

First and foremost, for those who may have significant assets OR cannot "trust" (for lack of a better word) one or more of their heirs or their heirs' spouses, a Trust is a private document. Addiction issues are common-ish and a parent may wish to ensure that they are not furthering problems should they predecease an addicted child.

A Will is public. Provisions within a Trust, however, remain between the creator of the trust and whoever is appointed as Trustee, and frequently are accompanied by a "side letter"...which is non-binding but sets out the individual's desires in a more friendly manner.

For those over 65 an AlterEgo Trust or a Joint Partner Trust can ease tax considerations and also maintain that same "non-public" position such that the family is not entitled to know what there is and "who got what". Not cheap...and typically starting at $10K to write, but they serve a distinct purpose that a Will does not.

Worth consideration for those in the right circumstances.

One way or another...for the sake of others in your family, if you don't have a Will and DO have some assets, please make a Will. Yes, it's unpleasant. But it's necessary.

And, if you are an Executor, you are generally personally liable for various issues under your fiduciary management...and that is why professional advice is strongly recommended.
See post #45

Alter-Ego trusts are a great vehicle which a lot of advisers either don't understand, or in many cases, can't be bothered to take on the administrative burden of putting in place. They are a super valuable planning tool, and as the world of estates litigation continue to grow, should be part of many people's estate planning.
Fuzzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2024, 02:50 PM   #105
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since I started this thread I feel obligated to update. So I eventually got probate and new owners took possession of my aunt's place last week so all the hard stuff is out of the way. Looking back it was more of a hassle doing it myself without going through lawyers but it was tolerable mostly because her estate was pretty basic without multiple properties, vehicles, or any large debts. Having to deal with the public trustee due to minors named in the will was the most difficult part as they were pretty slack and delayed the probate procedure. It was a good learning experience but for my dad's estate I will most certainly get a lawyer. Thanks to all that replied or PM'd with good information. That's what makes this forum such a great place and keeps me coming back. Lots of good people with good advice.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2024, 01:15 PM   #106
Toast_Man
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anyone have experience filing a T3 for an estate? I'm an executor on an estate and the accountant who helped file the last tax return has completely flaked on me for the T3.
Toast_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2024, 01:38 PM   #107
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast_Man View Post
Does anyone have experience filing a T3 for an estate? I'm an executor on an estate and the accountant who helped file the last tax return has completely flaked on me for the T3.
If Locke can't do it, I can send you a few names.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2024, 01:42 PM   #108
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give me some details (via PM) and I can help you or point you in the right direction.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2024, 11:51 AM   #109
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast_Man View Post
Make sure you read up on the new T3 filing requirements starting December 30, 2023. Some people were very upset about scrambling to obtain the additional information being demanded by CRA, but you can't really file a return without that additional data. The good thing is that the vast majority of these changes only really require you to collect this data once.

Also, include the date the trust was created with the materials so that you are aware when the 21 year rule will happen. You don't want a nasty tax bill with interest and penalties. It's actually a rare situation the cash flow that often frustrates people more than taxes with the 21 year rule. Taxes suck, but after 21 years, it might be more panic in figuring out how to get hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars to pay for the taxes owing on the deemed disposition.

You might need appraisals for the 21 year filing. Properties aren't too bad to get appraisals for, but if you've put company shares in there, those are much more challenging to get appraisals for.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 12:01 PM   #110
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

My parents had one done years ago and they gave me a copy and it sits somewhere in storage. Never looked at it... too sad to think about.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 02:33 PM   #111
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
My parents had one done years ago and they gave me a copy and it sits somewhere in storage. Never looked at it... too sad to think about.
Dude you should read it over and make sure it still makes sense and that there isn't anything weird in it you'll need clarification on. This is going to happen one day. If they aren't around to straighten out any issues it'll make things a metric f-ton harder for you to manage your grief and sort out issues. If you are the executor, it's actually pretty remiss of you to not have read it. Being an executor is a super important and big job.

If you're just a beneficiary and somebody else is going to be the executor it doesn't matter as much, but you should still read it over if for no other reason than to flag potential problems in order to help them/their estate. Your perspective is important because you're going to be one of the ones left dealing with the fall out of their passing. Ounce of prevention and all.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2024, 02:50 PM   #112
Toast_Man
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Dude you should read it over and make sure it still makes sense and that there isn't anything weird in it you'll need clarification on. This is going to happen one day. If they aren't around to straighten out any issues it'll make things a metric f-ton harder for you to manage your grief and sort out issues. If you are the executor, it's actually pretty remiss of you to not have read it. Being an executor is a super important and big job.

If you're just a beneficiary and somebody else is going to be the executor it doesn't matter as much, but you should still read it over if for no other reason than to flag potential problems in order to help them/their estate. Your perspective is important because you're going to be one of the ones left dealing with the fall out of their passing. Ounce of prevention and all.
I can't recommend this enough. Hind sight being what it is, I wish I had sat down with my Dad and gone over his will.
Toast_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 02:59 PM   #113
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here’s an interesting question for Trout and some of the estate lawyers:

Are wills discoverable prior to the testator’s death? Or put simply, does a person have a right to see another’s will?

For example in the case of marriage or relationship breakdown and resulting proceedings, can the wife or girlfriend require the husband or boyfriend to produce a copy of the latter’s will to see the extent of the bequests (if any) to the former? I am wondering more about a common law relationship breakdown.

Second question, do the testator and witnesses have to initial each page of a will?

Thanks.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2024, 10:19 PM   #114
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

A will is not usually relevant until someone dies. A person can always revoke or make a new will right up to the end if they are competent. Sometimes a Power of Attoney or Personal Directive directs that the will can be referred to before death.

It is good practice to initial every page, but not a requirement:

https://kings-printer.alberta.ca/126...8&display=html

Last edited by troutman; 08-15-2024 at 10:24 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2024, 09:52 AM   #115
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
A will is not usually relevant until someone dies. A person can always revoke or make a new will right up to the end if they are competent. Sometimes a Power of Attoney or Personal Directive directs that the will can be referred to before death.

It is good practice to initial every page, but not a requirement:

https://kings-printer.alberta.ca/126...8&display=html
What about a prior will? Do you think it is discoverable in litigation? Certainly a person can shred it any time they want?
Old 08-16-2024, 09:56 AM   #116
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
What about a prior will? Do you think it is discoverable in litigation? Certainly a person can shred it any time they want?
I thought taxbuster said that wills were public in a previous post? It's post mortem trusts and intervivos trusts that are private?

Can someone confirm whether this is true and Canadian wills prepared by a professional (ie: Lawyer) are registered in some type of database (assuming it's not done by a non-professional for a will that isn't registered into a system)?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2024, 10:04 AM   #117
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wills, once probated, are public documents.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2024, 10:57 AM   #118
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My question had to do with prior to death. Whether in a relationship breakdown a person is entitled to see the will of their ex-partner. To be used as evidence as part of a claim for spousal or other support.
Old 08-16-2024, 01:50 PM   #119
Fuzzy14
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

One of the litigators trolling around may be able to provide a better answer, but I suspect any such request would remain subject to materiality and relevance in the context of the litigation. If the subject person refused to provide it in their disclosure, then it would to the requesting party to apply to the court to compel the disclosure, and in doing so satisfy the court that it's relevant and material to the litigation.
Fuzzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2024, 02:21 PM   #120
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

Very much this. I am my parents Executor, and am an 'in case needed' one for my brother. I've reviewed both very well, and spoken to both my parents and my brother to make sure that I understood what they wanted. It is a dark topic, to be sure, but I feel it's better to be prepared to deal with it than to wing it when it comes up.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote