Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2024, 08:00 PM   #19461
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What the hell was that? The answer is a big part of the reason why the rest of the country doesn’t take our province as seriously as they should.

Equalization isn’t going to be drastically changed to benefit the less than 12% of the population in a landlocked province at the expense of the other 88%.

The existing formula would see us receive more in equalization payments if we increased our provincial taxes but our overlords won’t be having any of that.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 08:11 PM   #19462
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

Are we supposed to believe that Jason Stephan passed both CFE and Alberta Bar Exam, and somehow successfully practiced as a chartered accountant and lawyer for a number of years...?
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 10:22 AM   #19463
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oncologists have been trying to reach an agreement with Alberta Health Services over the last five months. Parks said they are concerned that compensation isn't high enough to compete with provinces like Ontario and B.C. which are aggressively recruiting.

The number of oncologists is not keeping up with Alberta's population growth. In 2013, 102 oncologists practised in Alberta. In 2022, the number increased by 20 per cent to 122. The number of new cancer cases increased by 40 per cent over those nine years.

The AMA says patients are waiting eight to 13 weeks for an initial assessment by an oncologist. The five most frequently performed cancer surgeries are bladder, colorectal, breast, lung and prostrate procedures. Only 60 per cent are performed within recommended timelines.

Alberta-trained oncologists are leaving the province for greener pastures. Over the past four years, only one of eight radiation oncologists stayed in Alberta. Of the 17 medical oncologists trained here, just two stuck around.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...207129?cmp=rss

Cool, added "don't get cancer" to my list. Good thing Alberta is calling for trades workers though...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 10:26 AM   #19464
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
What the hell was that? The answer is a big part of the reason why the rest of the country doesn’t take our province as seriously as they should.

Equalization isn’t going to be drastically changed to benefit the less than 12% of the population in a landlocked province at the expense of the other 88%.

The existing formula would see us receive more in equalization payments if we increased our provincial taxes but our overlords won’t be having any of that.
My opinion is that even if equalization is flawed today and Albertans “get screwed”, we will eventually one day need the rest of Canada to boost us up and so what goes around comes around. I think there’s wisdom in paying a little more to keep the country together, basically. Like are we a country or not?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 10:29 AM   #19465
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just get a naturopath
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 10:41 AM   #19466
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Cool, added "don't get cancer" to my list. Good thing Alberta is calling for trades workers though...
Alberta needs trades workers too.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 11:07 AM   #19467
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

it's allll gooood...sure Darth Dani Sith has some Turkish Ivermectin at the ready...
Old 05-17-2024, 11:09 AM   #19468
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Alberta needs trades workers too.
While both important lines of work, I’m sure you can appreciate the difference
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 11:30 AM   #19469
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Obertagruppenführer Smith
And she wants to make Red Deer Great Again...

You're going to have to build some schools.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 11:36 AM   #19470
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
While both important lines of work, I’m sure you can appreciate the difference
I appreciate that we need to properly compensate oncologists while also needing to call for trades people. We should be able to do both.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 11:40 AM   #19471
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
I appreciate that we need to properly compensate oncologists while also needing to call for trades people. We should be able to do both.
And yet, we can’t seem to be able to…
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 11:44 AM   #19472
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
And yet, we can’t seem to be able to…
I mean, right now we're doing neither. And if we have 100-200 oncologists giving them all an extra $100k per year so we're competitive seems like a no-brainer to me. That $10-20MM wouldn't even move the needle. Maybe we could start importing them.

I don't think the $5k for trades people moving here is the problem. And really, having nice SFH be way cheaper than other provinces probably helps attract doctors.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 12:03 PM   #19473
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Oncologists and physicians help attract people who need their services. No brainer to pay them fairly.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 01:01 PM   #19474
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And she wants to make Red Deer Great Again...

You're going to have to build some schools.
Lol...."Again".

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 01:02 PM   #19475
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Lol...."Again".

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 01:56 PM   #19476
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the current equalization formula devised by Smith's predecessor?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 02:06 PM   #19477
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The principle of equalization is fine, the implementation of it is not. It has many flaws but we won't get common agreement on changing anything so I doubt anything will change.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 06:23 PM   #19478
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Did you happen to read what the first to phases of the Alberta is calling thing were about.

This is also a pretty crass post devaluing the work trades people provide. Work that is likely responsible for extending your lifespan longer and making your life more comfortable than a doctor ever will.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 06:33 PM   #19479
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Did you happen to read what the first to phases of the Alberta is calling thing were about.

This is also a pretty crass post devaluing the work trades people provide. Work that is likely responsible for extending your lifespan longer and making your life more comfortable than a doctor ever will.
Oh come on. I've got nothing at all against trades and would never devalue them.

It's that the government is grinding away at a rare, near unreplacable resource while also offering handouts of our tax dollars to bring in workers. And I'm not saying that's bad, I'm saying pay the oncologists. Losing any solely because they found monetary opportunity elsewhere in Canada is a major fail. Let's not do that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 06:36 PM   #19480
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh come on. I've got nothing at all against trades and would never devalue them.

It's that the government is grinding away at a rare, near unreplacable resource while also offering handouts of our tax dollars to bring in workers. And I'm not saying that's bad, I'm saying pay the oncologists. Losing any solely because they found monetary opportunity elsewhere in Canada is a major fail. Let's not do that.
Then say pay oncologists.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote