Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2024, 01:06 PM   #41
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
If the scouts don't believe that a player can be a top six forward, top four defenseman, or starting goaltender than they should not be chosen.
This is pretty much word-for-word what I always say. Completely agree.

With that being said, Jaden Lipinski is probably my favorite current prospect for some reason lol.
Ba'alzamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 01:16 PM   #42
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I don't remember the Flames doing that too often. I think Kylington was the last big swing I remember on a guy that was falling.

IIRC, they took Parsons only because he fell. Apparently they weren't looking to take a goalie that year, but once Parsons was available at the Flames pick, they decided to grab him.

Rumour has it that Morin was a guy that was higher on their lists, and that they didn't think was going to be around in the 2nd round.

I am sure there are others (and if you believe Feaster/Weisbrod, every single pick they made was a guy that was at the very top of their list lol - but I don't believe them, or they just had terrible lists).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 01:29 PM   #43
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping they make the pick or package it with a 2nd round pick to move up a bit. That said I won’t be surprised if they trade the pick for a younger established player or player just about to come on the scene.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 01:43 PM   #44
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anderson and 29th pick to the Sabres for the 11th pick and something else.

Do whatever they can to move up and get another pick in the top 15. If that isn't possible, get the most dynamic C available.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:58 PM   #45
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

BPA - I can’t pretend to have strong feelings one way or another about any prospect outside the top-10
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 02:04 PM   #46
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would not want the Flames to move up, just keep more bullets in the chamber. Might be worth trading down for a couple of 2nds, if there is a large enough ledge at the bottom of the 1st/top of 2nd.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 06:09 PM   #47
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Packaging the pick for a good younger Center or D. Draft time is always a good time to have extra picks to trade. The value seems to usually favour the team moving picks. If no trades are available BPA is the choice.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 07:57 PM   #48
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Crazy outcome: If all four division winners do end up making the conference finals, Vancouver's pick will only decrease one spot: 28th to 29th.

Very little decrease in value there, but CGY still gets the big increase from a 4th to a 3rd. Gravy.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 02:50 AM   #49
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Crazy outcome: If all four division winners do end up making the conference finals, Vancouver's pick will only decrease one spot: 28th to 29th.

Very little decrease in value there, but CGY still gets the big increase from a 4th to a 3rd. Gravy.
I see it as either 26th(if they lose), 29th(if they advance), or 31-32 if they make the finals. That said, I never saw the pick as 28th to begin with.

Nvm, I forgot that division winners get picks 25-28. Thought it would be by point percentage.

Last edited by gvitaly; 05-18-2024 at 03:00 AM.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 05:40 AM   #50
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If they lose, it'll be 28th. Can't be any higher than that.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 06:41 AM   #51
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Anderson and 29th pick to the Sabres for the 11th pick and something else.

Do whatever they can to move up and get another pick in the top 15. If that isn't possible, get the most dynamic C available.
Sabers don't need more D.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 07:15 AM   #52
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFO View Post
Sabers don't need more D.
That is a highly debatable claim.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 07:21 AM   #53
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
BPA. We don’t have the luxury to be choosy.
This goes without saying.

Specifically at this point in the draft you will have several scouts who have differing opinions on who the ‘best player available’ is. The evaluation/projection/ranking of players is far more nuanced than ‘best player available’.

Drafting the ‘best player available’ is like going to a restaurant and ordering the best dish available.

The Flames will make their list and draft the best player according to them.
TOfan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 07:30 AM   #54
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If Andrew Basha is there, Andrew Basha.
Bash all day.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 07:34 AM   #55
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I don't know anything about the prospects but I definitely think the Flames should make two 1st round picks

If we trade this pick for a 25 year old, I will pout
Is this in response to the Necas rumors from Friedman? Unfortunately, I do see the flames in on Necas.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 07:39 AM   #56
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
I would make that my draft philosophy in general.

You can find bottom six players as free agents so the mandate to the scouting staff would be to find top line or top six potential for every draft pick. If the scouts don't believe that a player can be a top six forward, top four defenseman, or starting goaltender than they should not be chosen. Swing big for the fences every chance you get and maybe you get those mid round high end talents to fill gaps in skill.

Hate the idea of drafting someone in the middle rounds and hearing them described as a guy that will play on the bottom line in the NHL.
Finding top 6/top 4/starting G with every pick is unrealistic. There are only so many of those guys available in the draft and 31 other teams want them too. Hockey organizations need to build an entire organization, not just two lines, two pairings and a starting G.

Once you get into the later rounds you can prioritize skill, no problem with that approach, this is likely how the Flames ended up with Gaudreau but also ended up with Emilio Petersen. Sometimes you hit a home run, most times, not.

That said, it’s also worth while drafting players who exhibit competitive and leadership qualities. Such as Jacob Pelletier who may have had a shot at a top 6 role but probably projected better as a top 9 player. That doesn’t mean it was a wasted pick. You still need those guys in your organization fro top to bottom, NHL to AHL.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 07:58 AM   #57
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
BPA. We don’t have the luxury to be choosy.
According to whose list? That's the problem in saying BPA. Each team will have a different list. There is no such thing as a master list where you get to determine BPA. The Flames thought that Matt Coronato was BPA when Wyatt Johnson was still available. The Flames thought William Stromgren was BPA with Logan Stankhoven and Artem Grushnikov still on the board. Not all lists are created equally so it is not as easy as saying BPA.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 09:05 AM   #58
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

I think the as of today it is a coin flip since all the other division winners have advanced. Conroy getting the better of the NJ and Canucks pick in the 4th is what is putting the Oilers winning slightly ahead according to PuckPedia draft pick value tool 13.617 to 13.344. The difference is essentially a mid 6th round pick. At the end of the day it is really about the level of hate you have towards the teams that are playing.

Vancouver winning - 29th, 3rd (94th) vs Oilers winning - 28th, 4th (105th)

I think we can all agree that whomever goes through needs to be destroyed by dallas to get that conditional 3rd in 2026.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 11:23 AM   #59
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Hoping they make the pick or package it with a 2nd round pick to move up a bit. That said I won’t be surprised if they trade the pick for a younger established player or player just about to come on the scene.
Absolutely not. Draft 2 players not one player a handful of spots higher.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 01:47 PM   #60
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
Absolutely not. Draft 2 players not one player a handful of spots higher.
This is a highly questionable position to take. Quantity does not trump quality, or at least not all the time.

Example: Flames traded two picks 76 and 83, in the 2015 draft to pick 60th. Put another way, they traded what turned out to be Adin Hill and Jens Looke for Oliver Kylington.

If there’s a player available that the Flames see potential in, more so than if they let it slide, they shouldn’t be timid to make that kind of move. Similarly, they shouldn’t e timid to trade down to gain more picks as they did with Zary in 2020. Neith strategy should be outright dismissed.

Tags
edmonton is no good