Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2024, 11:34 AM   #13801
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

A small bit of "positive" news: wife's uncle and his wife were able to evacuate from Kozacha Lopan today towards Dergachi (more south towards Kharkiv) earlier today. They got on an evacuation bus and are heading to a friend's place. Wife's family was begging them for months to leave KL when news of the buildup began shaping up a few months ago. The reason for their delaying was that his wife is a nurse and was asked to stay to help. Now that KL has all but been abandoned by the UA army, there is no need for her to stay. Another reason we learned is that they foster abandoned dogs and had 6 dogs in their care. Many people who left when the village was liberated in 2022 made the decision to abandon their pets, so they took in 6 of them. Hard enough to abandon these innocent animals, let alone find a place that will take in 6 dogs.

We are not certain what is happening with the dogs. My wife doesn't want to ask him unless he brings it up, because it was obviously a source of contention in the first place, so last thing she wants to do is set him off if in fact he had to make the difficult decision to leave them behind. Can't imagine having to make that choice, but I think that is what they had to do.

Should not be forgotten that so many pets and animals have been affected in this senseless war. There was one girl who stayed with us in 2022 who told us that officers at the train stations were forcing people to literally leave their pets behind before boarding as obviously people took priority. She hid her little kitten in her jacket and made it all the way to Gdansk to our place with it. Poor thing was covered in piss and #### when we met them.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 01:21 PM   #13802
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
A small bit of "positive" news: wife's uncle and his wife were able to evacuate from Kozacha Lopan today towards Dergachi (more south towards Kharkiv) earlier today. They got on an evacuation bus and are heading to a friend's place. Wife's family was begging them for months to leave KL when news of the buildup began shaping up a few months ago. The reason for their delaying was that his wife is a nurse and was asked to stay to help. Now that KL has all but been abandoned by the UA army, there is no need for her to stay. Another reason we learned is that they foster abandoned dogs and had 6 dogs in their care. Many people who left when the village was liberated in 2022 made the decision to abandon their pets, so they took in 6 of them. Hard enough to abandon these innocent animals, let alone find a place that will take in 6 dogs.

We are not certain what is happening with the dogs. My wife doesn't want to ask him unless he brings it up, because it was obviously a source of contention in the first place, so last thing she wants to do is set him off if in fact he had to make the difficult decision to leave them behind. Can't imagine having to make that choice, but I think that is what they had to do.

Should not be forgotten that so many pets and animals have been affected in this senseless war. There was one girl who stayed with us in 2022 who told us that officers at the train stations were forcing people to literally leave their pets behind before boarding as obviously people took priority. She hid her little kitten in her jacket and made it all the way to Gdansk to our place with it. Poor thing was covered in piss and #### when we met them.
^ glad to hear they made it out of KL okay. It's been a torturous story hearing about the trials and tribulations of the little town over the past couple years. Reassuring to hear your loved ones have all made it to (relative) safety. Let's hope it's spared from a Donbass kind of fate and its residents can return sooner rather than later to restore it to the place your wife remembers. Slava Ukraini.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:45 AM   #13803
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back to the top...

From the grave, Prigozhin gets his revenge. Here's what we know about Putin's new defense minister and what it means for the war in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1790841271507939417

As we speak, Ukraine is attacking Russians in Crimea with Western-supplied missiles.
According to Russian military tg-channels, 10 ATACMS missiles hit Belbek military airfield in Crimea, near Sevastopol.
Russia media also report that Mig-31 and 3 Su-27 were damaged at the airfield, two S-400 launchers and 92N6E radar and the airfield's fuel storage facility are lost.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1790861522710802704

The tempo of Russian offensive operations in northern Kharkiv Oblast continues to decrease after Russian forces initially seized areas that Ukrainian officials have now confirmed were less defended.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1790906534064504881
https://twitter.com/user/status/1791001419144642943

In addition to ATACMS strikes on Belbek airfield in Sevastopol for the 2nd night in row, Simferopol, Dzhankoi and Kerch in occupied Crimea were also hit last night.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1791106686998212857

"The 71-year-old man who fired five shots at Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico, is linked with a pro-Russian extremist group a Hungarian investigative journalist reported."
https://twitter.com/user/status/1791106428922405085
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 12:55 PM   #13804
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russia: Ukrainian drones struck the Bazalt military production facility in Tula, a weapons & ammunition manufacturer that supplies all military branches.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1791100777404284999

Frontelligence Insight conducted an initial Battle Damage Assessment of strikes on Belbek Airfield in Crimea on May 15th and 16th. This analysis is based on mid-resolution images taken on May 16th
https://twitter.com/user/status/1791173383150833703

The arrest of Timur Ivanov turned out to be only the beginning of a purge in the Russian leadership.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1790701822732050619

More than 15 invaders on two assault boats are sailing to the island of Nestriga, liberated by the Ukrainian Armed Forces, on the Dnieper River.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1791157369134579972

In Vovchansk, we’re grinding the invaders into dust—industrial-scale eradication!
https://twitter.com/user/status/1790713505970037008
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 06:33 AM   #13805
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russia’s third largest port got droned last night. Damage seems quite significant. NSFW due to trashy Russian slurs.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1791388249794969839
https://twitter.com/user/status/1791328180080394685

They always seem surprised at being hit back.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1791347927757345216

Results of the ATACMS strike on Belbek airbase in occupied Crimea.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1791335773645488370
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 12:45 PM   #13806
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol... Russian earplugs. Just puncture your ear drums with this sharp paper, problem solved!
Old 05-20-2024, 12:29 AM   #13807
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anders Puck Nielsen (Danish military analyst) is pretty dismissive of Russia extending the frontline in Kharkiv.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 11:07 AM   #13808
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great commentary from Bill Browder addressing the UK Treasury Committee on how Putin is dodging oil sanctions and getting top dollar for his oil, and how the west is facilitating this through weak handed approach. He's also blasting how the EU and the US love to boast about their sanctions, yet fall far short in actually sanctioning oligarchs (especially compared to the UK), and how we need a harmonized sanction list. Bill Browder has been fighting for a long time against Russian oligarchs and has been on their hit list for over a decade.

Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 10:16 AM   #13809
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am trying to help out a Ukrainian family of 2 whose “host” situation has suddenly, and unexpectedly, ended.

Anyone know of a rental opportunity available immediately in NW.
Preferably close to C train, also somewhat close to child’s school in Arbour Lake.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 02:41 PM   #13810
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
I am trying to help out a Ukrainian family of 2 whose “host” situation has suddenly, and unexpectedly, ended.

Anyone know of a rental opportunity available immediately in NW.
Preferably close to C train, also somewhat close to child’s school in Arbour Lake.
My son has a small 1 bedroom in Sunnyside to sublet for July & August, then the lease renews. Near C train but not arbour lake
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 12:04 PM   #13811
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to see NATO learning from Ukraine in real time

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 07:54 AM   #13812
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 12:21 PM   #13813
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1794375073526390811

Another massive russian terrorist attack in Kharkiv today. This is about 5 minutes from my wife's old apartment and she used to shop here every week. Unfortunately she got word from her friend in Kharkiv that one her classmates is thought to be a victim. Over 200 people inside when this happened.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 12:48 PM   #13814
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1794375073526390811

Another massive russian terrorist attack in Kharkiv today. This is about 5 minutes from my wife's old apartment and she used to shop here every week. Unfortunately she got word from her friend in Kharkiv that one her classmates is thought to be a victim. Over 200 people inside when this happened.
Fn disgusting. Russians need to get their #### together and topple Putin and his regime. Will people die? Absolutely, but it's about sacrificing for the greater good of your country.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 04:57 PM   #13815
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The longer this goes on and the more and more I see stories like above, I think this is becoming more and more of a game and pissing match between the global powers.

How much defensive equipment has not been delivered but promised? The above story highlights exactly the problem, Ukraine can't defend it's 2nd largest city from attacks on a mall 2 and a half years into a serious war. Everybody promising everything but very little action has taken place. US can't supply required shells, EU can't even come close to their own production goals, delayed packages from everybody.

Lot's of talk about support and being there until the end but is that really the case here with Ukraine? Seems like all anybody really is doing is prolonging this more and more. All the sanctions, all the "no more Russian energy" slogans, all the promises and military analysis about how Putin is on the defensive, how his military is days away from collapse and so would his government. Nothing like that is really materializing.

I remember a vivid interview more than a year ago where Joe Biden was very strongly in his conviction that "Ukraine doesn't need F16's now" They may get a handful of jets before the end of 2024 and who knows how long until they are destroyed? Ukraine lacks air defense, Russia has tens of millions of men available for fodder and more. Even the IMF is predicting the Russian economy out performing advanced nations according to reports.

A lot of revisionist history I think from a lot of people out there now that the economic, military and Putin collapses have not materialized. I almost feel like I have been duped in this regard. Anything short of a full catastrophic change in philosophy by Putin and Russia's top leaders, is anybody really thinking that Ukraine doesn't lose significant land going forward and is dealt the worst possible hand that will then be spun into a moral victory?

Seems like all we will get in the end is millions dead, injured and displaced, tens of billions in taxpayer money and trillions of dollars in inflation for what?

This just seems all around depressing for Ukraine and the rest of the world.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 06:13 PM   #13816
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I almost feel like I have been duped in this regard.

I am reasonably sure there are a lot of regards in which you have been duped.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 06:21 PM   #13817
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The longer this goes on and the more and more I see stories like above, I think this is becoming more and more of a game and pissing match between the global powers.

How much defensive equipment has not been delivered but promised? The above story highlights exactly the problem, Ukraine can't defend it's 2nd largest city from attacks on a mall 2 and a half years into a serious war. Everybody promising everything but very little action has taken place. US can't supply required shells, EU can't even come close to their own production goals, delayed packages from everybody.

Lot's of talk about support and being there until the end but is that really the case here with Ukraine? Seems like all anybody really is doing is prolonging this more and more. All the sanctions, all the "no more Russian energy" slogans, all the promises and military analysis about how Putin is on the defensive, how his military is days away from collapse and so would his government. Nothing like that is really materializing.

I remember a vivid interview more than a year ago where Joe Biden was very strongly in his conviction that "Ukraine doesn't need F16's now" They may get a handful of jets before the end of 2024 and who knows how long until they are destroyed? Ukraine lacks air defense, Russia has tens of millions of men available for fodder and more. Even the IMF is predicting the Russian economy out performing advanced nations according to reports.

A lot of revisionist history I think from a lot of people out there now that the economic, military and Putin collapses have not materialized. I almost feel like I have been duped in this regard. Anything short of a full catastrophic change in philosophy by Putin and Russia's top leaders, is anybody really thinking that Ukraine doesn't lose significant land going forward and is dealt the worst possible hand that will then be spun into a moral victory?

Seems like all we will get in the end is millions dead, injured and displaced, tens of billions in taxpayer money and trillions of dollars in inflation for what?

B*lls**t
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2024, 07:17 PM   #13818
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
B*lls**t

Nothing wrong with disagreeing and I genuinely hope I am wrong, but does the above video of a blown up mall in a major city look like we are winning? Does that look like success from the worlds most powerful countries in the west?

I mean everyday we have Zelensky saying the same thing as above, he needs more and more and more and he needed it yesterday.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...iy-2024-05-20/

Did we forget the comments from the former commander of the armed forces, "At this stage there will be no big beautiful breakthrough"

I think we in the west need to temper expectations on what success for Ukraine actually means.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:36 PM   #13819
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nothing wrong with disagreeing and I genuinely hope I am wrong, but does the above video of a blown up mall in a major city look like we are winning? Does that look like success from the worlds most powerful countries in the west?

I mean everyday we have Zelensky saying the same thing as above, he needs more and more and more and he needed it yesterday.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...iy-2024-05-20/

Did we forget the comments from the former commander of the armed forces, "At this stage there will be no big beautiful breakthrough"

I think we in the west need to temper expectations on what success for Ukraine actually means.
A lot of it depends on what happens in the U.S. election. If the Republicans win, you might see America back off quite a bit. If the U.S. backs off, European countries are probably going to insist on negotiations with Russia. If the Democrats win and they keep backing Ukraine, the tide could change.

Russia has the initiative at the moment, but many analysts who I trust know more than I do about these things, think that by late 2025, Russia is going to have more and more trouble supporting the war efforts. It means another messy 18 months, but if they can hold on long enough, victory is possible for Ukraine.

Putin has apparently already made a proposal to "freeze" the war as long as Ukraine agrees to recognize Russian control in the occupied territories. If Russia was 100% confident, I don't think they would accept anything but a full surrender and regime change for Ukraine. The fact they are hedging their bets indicates that they know things can still go really bad for them if they can't finish the job sooner rather than later, IMO.
Old 05-27-2024, 08:46 AM   #13820
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

#### you write odd posts

Are you sure you don't know someone with first hand knowledge of the situation?

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks