Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2024, 12:25 AM   #3001
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Sportsnet panel seemed extra moody about that oilers loss in game 1. I think those oilers homers know how much is at stake in this series for the oilers. This really feels like a last chance for the McDavid-Draisaitl era. I think the team is in big trouble no matter what they do this summer.

Let’s say the best thing that can happen for them is that both McDavid and Draisaitl are willing to extend with the oilers (Draisaitl this summer and McDavid the following summer). I don’t think either guy will stick with the oilers if the other guy isn’t planning on sticking around as well. The oilers have had 10 years of Draisaitl at a discount - he’s not going to cut them a break on his next deal. No doubt he’ll want to be the highest paid player in the league if he’s going to stay in Edmonton so it’s likely at least a $14 million AAV for 8 years.

McDavid will then need an extension the following year and that will cost at least $15 million AAV. Those kind of back-to-back raises will put the oilers into cap hell for at least the first 3-4 years of their deals. They have no prospect depth so there is little to no cheap depth help on the way. Bouchard will need an extension next and they won’t have enough for him. It all crumbles apart as the oilers become even more of a two-player team - with those two players moving into their 30s and the guys they went all in on aging out of their prime or walking away in free agency (Hyman, RNH, Kane, Nurse and Ekholm).

The alternative is Draisaitl refuses to sign an extension and wants to be a free agent in the summer of 2025. That leaves the oilers with two options - go for it in 2025 and let him walk to free agency or trade him in the summer. Trading him likely means McDavid leaves as well the following year. I don’t think the Oilers will have the guts to anger McDavid by trading Draisaitl. The oilers could get some great young prospects and picks for both of them if they choose to trade them but they will forever be shamed as wasting the biggest lottery ticket wins the league has ever given a team - after giving them multiple lottery ticket wins before that as well. How could they ever sell “hope” to their fans again after squandering what they had? Any time they pick first overall again, any optimism for the oilers could immediately be shut down by reminding them that they couldn’t win with McDavid… how could they win with this guy?

Who am I kidding? The oilers fans will no doubt drink that Kool Aid as well. E = NG.

Last edited by stemit14; 05-10-2024 at 07:39 AM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 07:33 AM   #3002
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

But but but I've been told by multiple Grease fans in my life that Crysaitl would never leave, as he and McSlippin are good friends and have summer lakeside cabins next to each other. What does July/Aug cabin season have to do with where you work in winter/spring LOL

Last edited by Sainters7; 05-10-2024 at 08:53 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 07:51 AM   #3003
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think there's a slight chance he re-signs but I'm guessing it's going to wait until next summer. If you're so tied to Connor, why not wait until you can negotiate alongside him. No chance he signs another deal a year in advance of Mavi. His salary is just going to get dwarfed again a year later and he's going to go back to feeling underpaid.

I'm guessing he just says, hey, let's negotiate July 1, 2025. Until then, we have one more shot at this thing.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 08:16 AM   #3004
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The smart move would probably be to trade Draisaitl or McDavid now for a haul including a good young goalie, prospects, picks, etc. Then keep the other guy as your core piece with a big extension. Since there'd be way more backlash to trade McDavid even though he'd get the better haul, that means trading Draisaitl this summer.

But all that said, I really doubt they do it. Good.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 08:40 AM   #3005
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I were the Oilers I would trade both and tank, they would naturally be tanking for the next two drafts. They have no prospects worth mentioning and without those two players they are pretty much on par with the San Jose Sharks this year. But Oilers will always be a dumpster fire so they will push it a year and lose Draisaitl for nothing and then still try to go all in with McDavid, who will walk to the Leafs.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 09:42 AM   #3006
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I learned that Oiler fans have been calling Mark Spector "Fart Spector"
hahahahah
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 10:47 AM   #3007
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
I think there's a slight chance he re-signs but I'm guessing it's going to wait until next summer. If you're so tied to Connor, why not wait until you can negotiate alongside him. No chance he signs another deal a year in advance of Mavi. His salary is just going to get dwarfed again a year later and he's going to go back to feeling underpaid.

I'm guessing he just says, hey, let's negotiate July 1, 2025. Until then, we have one more shot at this thing.
That's what makes this offseason so interesting. Draisatl is a UFA on July 1, 2025 so it would be amazing if they waited till then to negotiate and he walks for nothing. Best case scenario. I hope Oilers management is that stupid and they may very well be.

If he won't sign an extension this offseason, and a 2nd round exit would make it hard to do so as a player, then they have to look to trade him or there's a real risk of him walking for nothing.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 12:20 PM   #3008
SnipeShow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
hahahahah
This may be the smartest thing they've ever done.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
SnipeShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 01:03 PM   #3009
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I'm Draisaitl and I don't want to re-sign with Oilers, I'd demand a trade this off season so he can re-sign with the new team with an 8-year contract instead of going UFA and he can only sign for a 7-year.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:38 PM   #3010
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
If I'm Draisaitl and I don't want to re-sign with Oilers, I'd demand a trade this off season so he can re-sign with the new team with an 8-year contract instead of going UFA and he can only sign for a 7-year.
Hopefully it doesn't happen. For two reasons... (1) So Shelbyville doesn't collect more assets and (2) to rescue an innocent prospect or two from being drafted there.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 01:38 PM   #3011
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
hahahahah
All Oilers fans smell like farts.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 09:10 AM   #3012
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
All Oilers fans smell like farts.
All farts smell like Oilers fans.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 09:22 AM   #3013
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air quality 10 right now and 10+ for the day in greaserville. If you want to breathe, that’s no good.

I hope the firefighters and residents are all safe.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:29 AM   #3014
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Anymore info on the Paul Coffey racist incident with a Canucks fan and the Kane arguing with teammates in the dressing room following the game?
What happened with Coffey?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 10:02 AM   #3015
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
What happened with Coffey?
The Oilers bench was getting heckled by some Vancouver fans. Coffey pointed to one of them and mouthed "nice hat" at the man's turban.

Allegedy.

The Hockey News article seems to have been pulled.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 11:57 AM   #3016
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers barely squeak out a win against a 3rd string goalie, so of course we get more cringe-worthy nonsense from Spector. Seriously, does this guy actually read this crap before hitting submit? Wouldn't be surprised if he was pleasuring himself as he wrote it.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...h-for-canucks/

Quote:
Connor McDavid coming off a sub-par game, and Leon Draisaitl playing hurt. You might be able to overcome one of those. But both?

The poor Vancouver Canucks, they never had a chance.
Quote:
McDavid coming off a bad game. Draisaitl with one foot on injured reserve.

It’s the difference between meeting that black bear on the trail during the salmon run, or one stumbling grumpily out of hibernation.

It’s the difference between that ’82 Camaro that uncle Barry pulled out of the Auto Trader, and after he dropped that 350 under the hood.
Quote:
The Oilers will need some help from the rest of the group, to be sure.

But for one night, we saw the legend of the two-headed monster. It was simply too much — there’s no other way to say it.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 12:28 PM   #3017
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Oilers barely squeak out a win against a 3rd string goalie, so of course we get more cringe-worthy nonsense from Spector. Seriously, does this guy actually read this crap before hitting submit? Wouldn't be surprised if he was pleasuring himself as he wrote it.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...h-for-canucks/
Spector forgot to add that the Oilers will also need continued help from the NHL and the refs and linesman to get past the second round. If there is one thing that has been clear so far in the playoffs it's that the Oilers cannot win on their own. They need help. They need missed highsticking and slewfoot calls on their players and they need powerplays. Without those kinds of advantages they are not winning a thing.
Old 05-11-2024, 12:47 PM   #3018
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zadorov just said E=NG.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1789360923687493807
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 03:17 PM   #3019
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Lol, that’s so awesome…
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 07:41 PM   #3020
EDMONTONisNG
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hopefully Z is ready to go for next game.

Foegele hit him hard late after a whistle and he went down hard. Just got crumpled from the camera angle.

Hope hes ready to go because hes been a difference maker so far
EDMONTONisNG is offline   Reply With Quote