Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2024, 02:27 PM   #3021
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Yup.

For older players, particularly the ones born in the fall, I always look at their numbers from the previous season to see what their stat-line would have been had they been born a few months earlier. It often makes you see them in a different light.
I tend to agree as well. A player almost a full year younger than other players while producing the same has to be a factor.

On the flip side, I once read an article about kids sports, and they suggested that the slightly older kids within an age bracket tend to become more successful athletes in general. The reason being, at really young ages, those kids will be slightly more physically mature than the other kids and just better at sports because of that. The coaches then tend to focus more attention on them because they seem like they have more upside, and it creates an ongoing feedback loop.

I suppose by the time kids are in their late teens, that sort of thing sorts itself and the younger kids persevering managed the hurdle.
Old 05-10-2024, 02:43 PM   #3022
Bandwagon Surfer
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Some posters aren't considering the marketability side to drafting Tij.

Not only is the fan base pushing for him but I would imagine upper-management is pushing real hard. Iginla is face of this franchise and we will have two shots for drafting his kids.

The flames are a business and drafting Tij is great for business. At the end of the day this will be taken into consideration.

I think you are greatly overestimating how much the average person cares about things like that. For the average person marketability begins and ends at winning and how cute the team's merch looks.

Average people usually have no idea who is playing for a team now, let alone who was playing for them in a previous era. They will go to games when a team is winning because cheering for the winner feels good. When they do learn players names, it happens because the winning brought them to watch the game exposing them to the announcer. And even then the names they learn tend to be based on names that sound neat, not player skill.
Bandwagon Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 02:51 PM   #3023
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon Surfer View Post
I think you are greatly overestimating how much the average person cares about things like that. For the average person marketability begins and ends at winning and how cute the team's merch looks.

Average people usually have no idea who is playing for a team now, let alone who was playing for them in a previous era. They will go to games when a team is winning because cheering for the winner feels good. When they do learn players names, it happens because the winning brought them to watch the game exposing them to the announcer. And even then the names they learn tend to be based on names that sound neat, not player skill.
I think it should be a consideration only if you need a tie-breaker on deciding whom to pick. If you have 2 or 3 prospects neck and neck and one of those is Iginla, you go with him IMO.

Obviously I have no idea how the Flames have the prospects ranked and whether they would need a tie breaker like that. Bob Mackenzie did say that outside of the top 1 or 2 in the draft, it's pretty even and no real consensus, so maybe the tie breaker scenario will play a roll.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:00 PM   #3024
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
The flames are a business and drafting Tij is great for business. At the end of the day this will be taken into consideration.

This is how the Canucks ended up with Jake Virtanen. This is an awful way to draft.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 03:21 PM   #3025
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think it should be a consideration only if you need a tie-breaker on deciding whom to pick.
Frankly I think there ought to be so many more pertinent tiebreakers that it ought to not get down to a "Is his last name Iginla?" tiebreaker.

Either his name is legitimately the next name up on talent alone or they're making a nepotism pick. I'm fine with the Flames taking Tij Iginla... but only if they'd also take him in that spot if his name was Tij Smith, son of drywall installer Jerry Smith.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 03:25 PM   #3026
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Delete

Last edited by Flames1217; 05-10-2024 at 04:05 PM.
Flames1217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 03:31 PM   #3027
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (U-18 Edition, Vol.12):

LD Sam Laurila might be another casualty of the NTDP program, playing down the lineup on a very talented team, with little opportunity to show what he can truly do. The 6'0",187lb rearguard posted 3 goals and 11 points in 61 games this season, to go with 36 penalty-minutes, and picked up an assist in 7 games at the U-18 tournament. In May's edition of the USHL's Phase 2 Draft, in which eligible junior-aged players who are not the property of another team get selected, Sioux City used their second-round pick (20th-overall) to select Laurila, 5 spots ahead of highly-regarded NTDP defenseman John Whipple- so it looks like he will get the chance to showcase his skills next season with the Musketeers. An added bonus for any NHL team selecting him is that he is committed to the University of North Dakota, which is known to have a top-notch program. Laurila is one of the youngest players in the draft, with a September 2nd birthday.

Laurila is a smart two-way defender who is skilled enough that he can be paired with some of the more higher-end offensive defensemen, and compliment them well. He is a smooth, fluid skater in all directions with a good first-step, and quick acceleration- he's not elite, but very fast at top speed. Though he's been cast in a more shut-down type of role, he still retains a bit of an offensive mindset, and distributes well from the line to teammates in high-danger, and will pinch in to the play to keep pucks alive, or to make plays in the high slot. He's a skiled passer, but mostly prefers to keep things simple and risk free, as well as short-distance if possible. He flashes high-end playmaking ability though, as his assist in the U-18's was a cross-ice pass while in motion to Max Plante at the opposite face-off circle, through a pair of opposing defenders. He has a hard, heavy bomb of a one-timer from the blueline, and will shoot low to create rebound opportunities for teammates in the slot. Off the puck, he supports the rush well, and skates intelligent routes to be available for passes. Laurila is uncommonly strong, and plays hard and physical, finishing all of his checks.

Though he contributes to the offensive side of the puck, he takes care of his defense first before anything else and always has an eye on his duties in his own end, often being the first player back in the zone. He transitions quickly, and exerts good gap control, closing quickly on attackers with an active stick and his long reach. Laurila is defensively sound, and a steadying presence who identifies his man, sticks to them, and neutralizes their capacity to make a quality play. He covers his net well, keeps the crease clear, blocks shots, and swats away loose pucks. He makes a crisp, accurate first pass, and will use the boards if he gets into trouble, although one of the knocks on him is that he can be pressured into giveaways in performance of this task. Laurila is still a bit raw, but he has big potential, and will get plenty of time to develop his game in the coming years. Look for him in the late rounds.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 04:12 PM   #3028
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon Surfer View Post

I politely disagree.

Hardcore fans care about winning above all. Casual fans care about things like legacy, memories at the rink and familiar faces/names.

Most of the money comes from casual fans and having another Iginla to market would be a huge get for the team. Just the name alone would get people talking about the team, even through the rebuild.

Now more than ever that name holds value.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:24 PM   #3029
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I politely disagree.

Hardcore fans care about winning above all. Casual fans care about things like legacy, memories at the rink and familiar faces/names.

Most of the money comes from casual fans and having another Iginla to market would be a huge get for the team. Just the name alone would get people talking about the team, even through the rebuild.

I would consider signing Ryan MacInnis as a 4th line center for the same reason.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 05:37 PM   #3030
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I would consider signing Ryan MacInnis as a 4th line center for the same reason.
Kid needs to be able to play.

Tij can play.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 05:55 PM   #3031
YyjFlames
Draft Pick

This might have been posted but a couple of interesting quotes from Button in this piece on the Athletic’s mock draft: https://theathletic.com/5480106/2024...shared_article

On drafting Tij Iginla (a bit of double talk here)

“We have to go through the whole process too, right? So we can’t just take Tij because he’s Jarome’s son,” Button said. “We can’t let emotion get in the way of any pick we make.

“You want to be careful with reaching for somebody, right? That’s not going to happen in this case because he’s legit across the board. He’s a consensus, whatever, top-10, top-12 pick.”

On drafting a defenceman, the Flame’s beat writer, Julian McKenzie wrote that Button told him that there was a point in the season before making a few trades for defensive prospects that the Flames were leaning heavily towards a defenceman, but they’re more open now… then he’s quoted saying:

“That’s why I’m excited about nine because with the defensive group it’s going to be really intense to sort out,” Button said. “Even with the forward group, you’ve got so many different types of forwards, centermen, left wing, right wingers, right shots, left shots, skilled guys, power forwards. It honestly makes it really exciting, but it’s hard.”

There’s certainly lots of false messages sent around the draft but that sounds to me that they are leaning defence if one of the top five is available.
YyjFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YyjFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 07:37 PM   #3032
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
This is how the Canucks ended up with Jake Virtanen. This is an awful way to draft.
How so, local boy?
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:04 PM   #3033
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jake Virtanen is no way even remotely close to Tij Iginla.
Outside of the 'local' connection, its almost entirely a different scenario with a kid who is 100% more engaged and skilled than Virtanen was.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 07:27 AM   #3034
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think most money comes from season ticket holders.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 08:55 AM   #3035
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Jake Virtanen is no way even remotely close to Tij Iginla.
Outside of the 'local' connection, its almost entirely a different scenario with a kid who is 100% more engaged and skilled than Virtanen was.
Those two posts above took the skill out of the equation. Blaster was responding to solely the local angle. So outside of that, is a separate point.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2024, 08:57 AM   #3036
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Virtanen was drafted right about where he was ranked, Bob had him 7th IIRC. Being a local boy might've been the icing on the cake but at no point was that a controversial pick.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 10:31 AM   #3037
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Virtanen only had 71 points in 71 WHL games in his draft year. He was also risky because of the lack of results.

Tij had 84 points in 64 games. Quite a bit better, but worse than the other forwards that are projected to go in the top 15.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 11:03 AM   #3038
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I think most money comes from season ticket holders.
What percentage of season ticket holders go to all of thier games ?

I think it's safe to assume that on a nightly basis there are far more casual fans in the dome than hardcore fans. It's like that in almost everything.

Getting people to talk about the team brings in those casuals. Some casual fans have no idea how the team is doing, couldn't name 5 players on the current team but will still go and buy for the experience.

In short, Tij would bring that element more than any of the kids drafted around him. You want buzz, you want chatter, then go draft the kid of the franchise's most beloved player.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:09 AM   #3039
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be glad when the draft is done so we know where Tij is. I am not optimistic about the organization, so I feel like Tij will be doomed if he ends up with the Flames, whereas if he goes anywhere else he might have a chance to flourish.

So yeah, I'm sure the outcome won't go to the Flames advantage either way, because I feel like this organization is just not going to get things to go their way for a good long while. Hope I'm wrong.

Sorry for being a debbie downer.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 11:15 AM   #3040
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you go back to the Virtanen draft, there were a lot of posters that didn't like Virtanen based on his apparent one-dimensional skill-set. I liked him in the first half of the season with his combination of speed, grit and shot - but then you go and start noticing that he seemed like a one-trick pony. IIRC, lots of posters didn't like him heading into the draft because of this. Also, I believe Craig Button had him all the way down at the end of the 1st round or into the 2nd round. There was quite a bit of noise around Virtanen that year.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft