Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2024, 10:59 AM   #6741
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole thing is overwhelmingly sad. I feel awful for everyone who is involved near and far.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 12:07 PM   #6742
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree with other posters here. As the war and the situation evolved, people’s opinions and beliefs are allowed to change as well. Some people clearly are only looking to attach other posters. If you only want to bring things up from months or years ago, you clearly aren’t looking for a resolution, you are only an argument.

*not that anything is “solved” on CP anyways…
Old 05-09-2024, 12:44 PM   #6743
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's also ok to say you're not yet ready to fully forgive. There has definitely been some heavy language and accusations in this thread. I've had certain posters say things to me (not here) that I very much did not appreciate. And while I typically let it slide off my back I have a long memory and it colours my opinions of those persons.

Either way, I always like to see members looking to mend fences and find some common ground.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 02:09 PM   #6744
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I think it's also ok to say you're not yet ready to fully forgive. There has definitely been some heavy language and accusations in this thread. I've had certain posters say things to me (not here) that I very much did not appreciate. And while I typically let it slide off my back I have a long memory and it colours my opinions of those persons.

Either way, I always like to see members looking to mend fences and find some common ground.
Since it’s fun to weigh in on meta conversations about posters posting on CP when they aren’t about you, this is pretty much where I landed on it. I don’t fault Zary’s for being upset about it, it’s pretty hard to get called an anti-semite or a Nazi every day or two for however many months straight. I’ll remember a couple of the particularly ####ty things people said to me in this thread for basically ever since that’s just how I am, so I’m not going to fault him for being like “nah, we’ll see.”

Beninho is cool by me though. Most people don’t apologize, they just double down and then slink off forever or act like they’re one of the “grown ups” while continuing to troll like total dorks. Beninho did though, and said he wants to move past that stuff, so even if someone can’t there’s nothing good that would come from trying to stop him or hold him to stuff he no longer wants to defend.

Plus, we’ll always have Nage.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 02:43 PM   #6745
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Since it’s fun to weigh in on meta conversations about posters posting on CP when they aren’t about you, this is pretty much where I landed on it. I don’t fault Zary’s for being upset about it, it’s pretty hard to get called an anti-semite or a Nazi every day or two for however many months straight. I’ll remember a couple of the particularly ####ty things people said to me in this thread for basically ever since that’s just how I am, so I’m not going to fault him for being like “nah, we’ll see.”

Beninho is cool by me though. Most people don’t apologize, they just double down and then slink off forever or act like they’re one of the “grown ups” while continuing to troll like total dorks. Beninho did though, and said he wants to move past that stuff, so even if someone can’t there’s nothing good that would come from trying to stop him or hold him to stuff he no longer wants to defend.

Plus, we’ll always have Nage.
Hey man, I do apologize for the language I used towards you. I have read back several of our conversations and it was not ok. If Zary wants a personal apology I offer one to him as well. I feel like the term antisemite should not be thrown around so loosely as it weakens its meaning and I am embarrassed by my usage of it. Like I said earlier I am trying to grow. For 7 months straight the conflict has been at the forefront of my mind. Given my personal connection to it i get overly emotional and have used this thread to project my frustrations on to other posters. I have watched hours and hours of debates on the conflict and what has become sorely evident is mutual understanding and respect are rarely present. In a perfect world I would wish Palestinians, Jews, and all other peoples who call the land home could live side by side. I do not think self determination needs to be an exclusive project and hope one day we can achieve that. Palestinian and Jews are cousins and this conflict has truly brought out the worst in many people on both sides, including myself. I am working to look at the situation from a new perspective and implore others to not be afraid in challenging their own views. Again, apologies to anyone whom I offended.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 02:52 PM   #6746
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Hey man, I do apologize for the language I used towards you. I have read back several of our conversations and it was not ok. If Zary wants a personal apology I offer one to him as well. I feel like the term antisemite should not be thrown around so loosely as it weakens its meaning and I am embarrassed by my usage of it. Like I said earlier I am trying to grow. For 7 months straight the conflict has been at the forefront of my mind. Given my personal connection to it i get overly emotional and have used this thread to project my frustrations on to other posters. I have watched hours and hours of debates on the conflict and what has become sorely evident is mutual understanding and respect are rarely present. In a perfect world I would wish Palestinians, Jews, and all other peoples who call the land home could live side by side. I do not think self determination needs to be an exclusive project and hope one day we can achieve that. Palestinian and Jews are cousins and this conflict has truly brought out the worst in many people on both sides, including myself. I am working to look at the situation from a new perspective and implore others to not be afraid in challenging their own views. Again, apologies to anyone whom I offended.
All good man, I DMed you so won’t repeat the same stuff here, but we can continue to have different perspectives on this and we’ll just do it in a healthier way. We probably share more common ground than either of us was willing to recognize or concede.

Water under the bridge. Be kind to yourself.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 02:53 PM   #6747
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hey Beninho, I know you've indicated a few pages back that you don't know much about Palestinians. It's understandable, as there aren't many of us around.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Either through PM or right here. It might be a good opportunity for all of us to understand each other a bit better.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 03:18 PM   #6748
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post

I can respect that. We are all human beings and my dream is for the world to live in peace and all evil people be exterminated and Hamas being first on the list. I love all people of any faith. Jewish Muslim Buddhist Christian literally doesn't matter to me as long as we as humans are living in peace.

I wish the world leaders had that same mindset and wish our kids can one day experience true peace where there isn't so much pain and suffering.

There needs to be a way this happens where more and more innocent people don't die. We need to start with understanding each other.

Shalom.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zary's-Mustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 03:33 PM   #6749
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems like a really good time to post in this thread again. Things were very heated for some time and I too regret some of the things I have said here in the past, both in the heat of the moment and occasionally without doing the required homework. I have rightfully been called out a couple of times and again I apologize for offending certain posters.

The goodwill of the last few pages is very uplifting.

It almost seems like a collective reset.

Hoping everyone is having a good day.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 05:14 PM   #6750
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
As the war and the situation evolved, people’s opinions and beliefs are allowed to change as well. Some people clearly are only looking to attach other posters. If you only want to bring things up from months or years ago, you clearly aren’t looking for a resolution, you are only an argument
This is an unsurprisingly silly post.

You talk about situations evolving and then bringing up posts from months ago? Why shouldn't people be held accountable for their posts months ago. It's also a measure of their honesty and willingness to admit they were wrong.

Look at the likes of Azure and his gloating over UNRWA funding being suspended and how "the evidence must be overwhelming". Yet when he's called to present this overwhelming evidence time and again and again he slithers into the grass.

Actually you were one of the best biggest cheerleaders again and again and again asking the same question again and again and again.

So. In light of the ZERO evidence as stated by MULTIPLE countries that not only resumed and increased their funding I suppose it is time on you to reflect on either your gullibility or willingness to trumpet a baseless accusation.

And demonstrate if you are willing to answer your own question that you were so eager for others to answer months back.

Quote:
Do you think Canada should have cut funding to UNRWA? If not, why?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 05:44 PM   #6751
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
This is an unsurprisingly silly post.

You talk about situations evolving and then bringing up posts from months ago? Why shouldn't people be held accountable for their posts months ago. It's also a measure of their honesty and willingness to admit they were wrong.

Look at the likes of Azure and his gloating over UNRWA funding being suspended and how "the evidence must be overwhelming". Yet when he's called to present this overwhelming evidence time and again and again he slithers into the grass.

Actually you were one of the best biggest cheerleaders again and again and again asking the same question again and again and again.

So. In light of the ZERO evidence as stated by MULTIPLE countries that not only resumed and increased their funding I suppose it is time on you to reflect on either your gullibility or willingness to trumpet a baseless accusation.

And demonstrate if you are willing to answer your own question that you were so eager for others to answer months back.
Do I think Canada was right to temporarily cut funding to UNRWA? Sure. I mean, they were accused of supporting Hamas, I would not want to fund them.

Investigations proved they were not funding Hamas. So Canada resumed funding. All good.

Doesn’t seem too crazy to me.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:10 PM   #6752
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do I think Canada was right to temporarily cut funding to UNRWA? Sure. I mean, they were accused of supporting Hamas, I would not want to fund them.

Investigations proved they were not funding Hamas. So Canada resumed funding. All good.

Doesn’t seem too crazy to me.
All good?
People died from lack of food., medical supplies, medication and shelter over a baseless lie and you think that it's all good?

So you are perfectly fine with Canada making decisions of that magnitude based on absolutely nothing from proven liars?

What about Al Shifa hospital. Destroyed on the basis of a lie that there was a command centre under it and it is now well agreed upon that there is zero evidence to back that lie up.

That all good?

Old 05-09-2024, 07:21 PM   #6753
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It’s beautiful outside. Get some fresh air.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:24 PM   #6754
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Ahhh the evidence.

So Let’s really try and turn this discussion around. Haha.

Are you ok with your tax dollars funding the UNRWA? Do you think that is money well spent?
So. Today. Presently. Months later. Given zero of the allegations against them have been proven are you ok with your tax dollars (if you actually contribute to the economy) funding UNRWA?

Old 05-09-2024, 07:28 PM   #6755
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s beautiful outside. Get some fresh air.
Quote:
Feel free to answer the incredibly difficult question if you want.

Old 05-09-2024, 09:10 PM   #6756
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad to see some apologies and forgiveness being thrown around vs blame and hate. It's really the only way anything can move forward. Respect to those who are changing their tunes to be more affable and constructive.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:00 PM   #6757
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is quite the video by CNN, as they expose an Israel detention center where prisoners are tortured with beatings, blindfolds, extreme restraints to the point where amputations of the hands have had to occur and dogs. It's basically Guantanamo.

Also in other news, Egypt announced they are backing South Africa's case against IIsrael of genocide at the ICJ.

Last edited by activeStick; 05-12-2024 at 07:03 PM.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2024, 07:27 PM   #6758
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That is sickening. Scumbags.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:19 AM   #6759
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ministers and parliamentarians in Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition government have attended a conference calling for Israeli resettlement of the Gaza Strip and “voluntary migration” of the Palestinian population elsewhere.

Sunday’s event in Jerusalem, called the “Victory of Israel Conference: Settlement Brings Security”, hosted speeches by well-known extremists in Netanyahu’s cabinet, including the national security minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, and the finance minister, Bezalel Smotrich. It was attended by approximately 1,000 people, including 11 cabinet ministers and 15 members of the Knesset, some of them members of the prime minister’s Likud party.
Quote:
Participants, who included influential rabbis, settlement leaders and families of soldiers fighting in the Gaza Strip, were presented with maps and detailed preparations for the re-establishment of a Jewish presence in the areas inside what is considered internationally as the borders of a would-be Palestinian state.

Several participants carried guns, and outside the convention centre vendors sold T-shirts reading: “Gaza is part of the land of Israel.” One speaker was Rabbi Uzi Sharbag, a former leader of the banned far-right terrorist group Jewish Underground.

Ben-Gvir said: “We must encourage voluntary migration. Let them leave. Part of correcting the mistake of the sin of the preconception that brought us to 7 October is to return home to Gush Katif [southern Gaza] and to northern Samaria. We have to return home, because that is the Torah, that is morality, that is historic justice, that is logic and that is the right thing.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...f-palestinians

Here they plan phase two....taking the rest of it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 08:39 AM   #6760
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itamar_Ben-Gvir

Just so there are no illusions on who is currently leading Israel (he's also been long suspected of being involved in Rabin's assassination).

Last edited by Firebot; 05-13-2024 at 08:43 AM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote