Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2024, 01:07 PM   #141
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Being able to get a top pairing D that you can play together on either the 1st or 2nd pair or split up if need be at the trade deadline when you are a contending team and are primed for a long playoff run is unheard of. The cost for that is/should be alot and rightfully so. Dallas has the draft capital and prospects to make it happen. That trade takes them from contenders into cup favorites territory. Who on the Flames players, prospects, picks wouldn't we trade for a cup? I can't think of anyone.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 01:09 PM   #142
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
I'm really interested in this idea of sending Dallas our second pair with retention because they have all the stuff we want; deep prospect pool and picks.

Seems like a good time for Dallas to put all its chips in.
Somewhat same dance partner that brought the Flames Iginla.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CFO For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 01:11 PM   #143
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bourque would be great. I think it might be more Lundkvist + 2nd.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 02:35 PM   #144
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Being able to get a top pairing D that you can play together on either the 1st or 2nd pair or split up if need be at the trade deadline when you are a contending team and are primed for a long playoff run is unheard of. The cost for that is/should be alot and rightfully so. Dallas has the draft capital and prospects to make it happen. That trade takes them from contenders into cup favorites territory. Who on the Flames players, prospects, picks wouldn't we trade for a cup? I can't think of anyone.
The issue is more likely that even as a cup contender/favourite, they likely only gives them about a 12% chance of winning the cup.

Yeah, you'd trade anything for a Cup, but usually it's just a rental that turns to stone.

And I don't think they have a cap space going forward to sign them, much less this year, although Seguin's injury will help this year if he's out to the end of the season.

And trading a guy like Bourque just means they don't have a cheap replacement next year to help the cap situation. Which explains why very good NHL propsects are seldom traded for rentals.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 02:48 PM   #145
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The issue is more likely that even as a cup contender/favourite, they likely only gives them about a 12% chance of winning the cup.

Yeah, you'd trade anything for a Cup, but usually it's just a rental that turns to stone.

And I don't think they have a cap space going forward to sign them, much less this year, although Seguin's injury will help this year if he's out to the end of the season.

And trading a guy like Bourque just means they don't have a cheap replacement next year to help the cap situation. Which explains why very good NHL propsects are seldom traded for rentals.
Why do you think it’s Cup or bust for these teams?

Winning a playoff round or two creates thousands of lifelong fans. A trip to the conference finals or finals? Teams dine out on that for a decade.
Old 02-28-2024, 03:17 PM   #146
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Why do you think it’s Cup or bust for these teams?

Winning a playoff round or two creates thousands of lifelong fans. A trip to the conference finals or finals? Teams dine out on that for a decade.
Exactly. Owners aren't 'cup or bust', they are looking to generate interest and excitement. Get the fans excited about the playoffs, then hope you can at least get to the 3rd round.

That is how you build the fanbase.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 03:54 PM   #147
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Exactly. Owners aren't 'cup or bust', they are looking to generate interest and excitement. Get the fans excited about the playoffs, then hope you can at least get to the 3rd round.

That is how you build the fanbase.
Agreed, but Dallas is built for a number of years. Trading blue chip prospects will decrease their changes for a number of years when they are already cap strapped.

Teams tend to go "all in" when they are the end of their contention window.

I can see Dallas trading draft picks, but not blue chip prospects.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 03:58 PM   #148
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Bourque a Blue Chip prospect though? He's tracking similarly to Wright or Raty or Lambert. I guess maybe? They're borderline to me. Stankoven is blue-chip for sure.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:02 PM   #149
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed, but Dallas is built for a number of years. Trading blue chip prospects will decrease their changes for a number of years when they are already cap strapped.

Their discipline has given them an abundance of resources.

A temporary break from that discipline, to deal from extreme depth and gain rental guys that can help you win this year seems like a good risk to take.

Long term it's hardly a blip for them.

The cap situation and regaining picks is solved at the same time when they are ready to cycle out some vets in a year or two. Not to mention the creative ways salary could be packaged into a deal.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 04:03 PM   #150
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, TB and VGK are all in. But teams like the Stars, Avs, and Hurricanes are still looking at a 4-5 season window, and will need good, young, cost-controlled players stepping into their rosters over that period to help with the cap crunch.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 04:04 PM   #151
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bourque isn't for sure.

As for Stankoven, take him out of their organization... does it change anything with respect to who they are as a team? No it doesn't.

Fans love prospects. Owners and GMs will take good roster players and a well rounded cup contender every single time
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 04:07 PM   #152
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yeah, TB and VGK are all in. But teams like the Stars, Avs, and Hurricanes are still looking at a 4-5 season window, and will need good young, cost-controlled players stepping into their rosters over that period to help with the cap crunch.
I think that is accurate, but highlights the issue that the "all in teams" already spent their capital. There isn't all that much left to trade, whereas the 4-5 year teams have plenty to offer. At some point, they will need to decide to go all in, or risk being really good, but not good enough to win it all. That is where I see the Stars and Hurricanes right now. Excellent teams, but I do wonder if they need to take a risk and push at least some of their chips in.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:11 PM   #153
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like Stankoven, but it seems like he is really being overrated. I don't think there is any guarantee he will be a star to the point he is untouchable. It wouldn't be one-for-one with Tanev, but I think for Hanifin it would be debateable. Bourque/Stankoven are close to each other, as far as prospects go in my opinion.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM   #154
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw on Twitter that Dreger was on Overdrive and said the Stars have made a serious push for Tanev. This was today and after yesterday's LeBrun report.

This could go down sooner than later.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:37 PM   #155
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would align with what SEC214 said as well that they made a push for Tanev yesterday.

Would love to know what that means...

EdiT: Sec said an offer for Hanifin, ignore me.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-28-2024 at 04:57 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 04:43 PM   #156
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Would align with what SEC214 said as well that they made a push for Tanev yesterday.

Would love to know what that means...
Wasn't Sec referring to Hanifin? Or did I miss an update?
albertGQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 04:46 PM   #157
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Wasn't Sec referring to Hanifin? Or did I miss an update?
Yep, it was Hanifin:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Trying to get some more info, however a team has tabled the first significant offer for Hanifin. I’m not sure which it is tho… working on it.

S3C
The Tanev news is from LeBrun and Dreger now apparently.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 04:48 PM   #158
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Jim Nill doesn't like to trade 1st round picks. He's only traded a first round pick one time in his 10 years as Stars GM. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we see a first rounder in any trade with Dallas.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 04:58 PM   #159
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
Jim Nill doesn't like to trade 1st round picks. He's only traded a first round pick one time in his 10 years as Stars GM. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we see a first rounder in any trade with Dallas.
So he’s due.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:09 PM   #160
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Is Bourque a Blue Chip prospect though? He's tracking similarly to Wright or Raty or Lambert. I guess maybe? They're borderline to me. Stankoven is blue-chip for sure.
I don't think he is a sure thing, but I don't think you get a sure thing prospect for a Tanev rental. You get a late 1st rounder (not a sure thing), or a later pick and B level prospect like Bourque. Maybe a late 1st and a B prospect if you are lucky.

Bourque could still pan out, but no guarantee (nearing the end of his D+3 year, and no NHL games isn't inspiring for a former 1st rounder).

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 02-28-2024 at 05:11 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote