Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2024, 11:46 AM   #1261
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
The Canucks made the trade quick before the trade deadline in case Conroy checked around on what the market value of Kuzmenko.
I think it's fine. Alvin the Chipmunk didn't pull one over on Conroy. Kuzmenko is a next deadline project, after the Flames slowly and steadily improve his stock again.

Brewski and the 1st are the most important aspect of the trade looking forward.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 11:47 AM   #1262
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Canucks made the trade quick before the trade deadline in case Conroy checked around on what the market value of Kuzmenko.
Conroy said that he already spoke to other teams about Lindholm and had offers from them, so he was well aware of Lindholm's market value. He said the Canucks offer was the best one, though that there were other good offers as well from other teams.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 11:47 AM   #1263
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think I'm missing your point? What are you suggesting?
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 11:49 AM   #1264
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I think I'm missing your point? What are you suggesting?
That Kuzmenko has negative value. It's a bad take.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 11:51 AM   #1265
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
there's always one I guess lol
Flames will trade him for an asset next season, or sign him and that means it's going well.

This trade is Win/Win if the Canucks win the cup

It's a win for the Flames no matter what, which to be fair is a lot easier to get a win when you are selling

Last edited by dino7c; 02-01-2024 at 11:53 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 11:52 AM   #1266
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
That Kuzmenko has negative value. It's a bad take.
LOL, ok then haha. Any mental gymnastics there is ridiculous. Worst case scenario for the Flames, they got their desired returns of futures, and accepted Kuzmenko instead of retention to make the trade happen, which has 0 negative impact on the Flames.

Best case scenario, he becomes an incremental asset generator if we move him (this or next year) or he becomes a player that positively impacts our roster.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 11:52 AM   #1267
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that the speculation is that the Canucks begrudgingly threw in that 4th/3rd last minute to seal the deal.

Yes, that is how we do business with these guys. Squeeze every asset you can.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 11:57 AM   #1268
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Yes, that is how we do business with these guys. Squeeze every asset you can.

That is how a rebuilding team should be doing business with everyone. That pick is definitely the cost of the lighter return for Zadorov.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 02-01-2024, 11:58 AM   #1269
Rikster
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
It was a good risk to take considering the haul they received. There's a chance this could be the guy that gets hubby going, A guy who has the skills but just needed a fresh start. This is one of those players that that we talked about with Florida , how they acquired low risk high reward players.

This could be our home run, and Conroy still has the bases loaded.
From the Calgary side, I don't think that you can judge the deal until next years trade deadline because I think the Flames will move Kuzmenko next year at the latest.

Kuzmenko's has one year left on his deal, will he want to resign with a retooling or rebuilding team or is Kuzmenko the type of player a retooling or rebuilding team wants around to help mentor its young players?

For me, this is another one of those deals that feels like it was a homerun because of the number of assets involved, but when you work thru each one you realize that much of the haul has little value.

As a Canuck fan, the player I was disappointed to see go is Brzustewicz but the risk with him is that he turns out to be another Jack Rathbone who the Canucks were high on at one point but who didn't turn out.

Not to mention that with Willander and Quinn Hughes, the Canucks could afford to move Brzustewicz.

Knowing that he had one of the most coveted players in this years trade deadline, should Conroy have held out for a return with fewer pieces, but of higher value?
Rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rikster For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 11:59 AM   #1270
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I would argue the control group is ALL teams. And it's an easier calculation:

1) What percentage of teams have a right-shooting C?
2) What percentage of cup winners do? (76%)
3) Is there a statistical difference?
I don't really understand how the control group can be all teams when the hypothesis is that Cup winning teams have identified having an RH C as a desirable thing, and ostensibly bad teams do not know this.

38.1% of NHL players were RH in 2018: https://www.purehockey.com/c/why-are...rs-left-handed

If we assume that the distribution of handedness is uniform across all positions, there is a 14.7% chance to randomly have 4 centers who are all LH, so 85.3% of teams would have at least one RH C.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:00 PM   #1271
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikster View Post
From the Calgary side, I don't think that you can judge the deal until next years trade deadline because I think the Flames will move Kuzmenko next year at the latest.

Kuzmenko's has one year left on his deal, will he want to resign with a retooling or rebuilding team or is Kuzmenko the type of player a retooling or rebuilding team wants around to help mentor its young players?

For me, this is another one of those deals that feels like it was a homerun because of the number of assets involved, but when you work thru each one you realize that much of the haul has little value.

As a Canuck fan, the player I was disappointed to see go is Brzustewicz but the risk with him is that he turns out to be another Jack Rathbone who the Canucks were high on at one point but who didn't turn out.

Not to mention that with Willander and Quinn Hughes, the Canucks could afford to move Brzustewicz.

Knowing that he had one of the most coveted players in this years trade deadline, should Conroy have held out for a return with fewer pieces, but of higher value?
haha
Old 02-01-2024, 12:00 PM   #1272
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

Lol. No. He made a killing.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 12:06 PM   #1273
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Blue chip prospects don't get traded for rentals. Especially a rental in a tail spin. People are happy with the return because a lot were expecting a 1st + a B prospect for a retained Lindholm. It is recency bias but Brzustewicz looks clsoer to an A prospect than a B prospect.

Depending on your view of Brzustewicz vs Raty it is either the same as the Horvat trade or a little worse because of where the 1st round pick is likely to fall. This reads to a me as a Canuck fan downplaying what they paid for a rental.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:09 PM   #1274
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone panicked that no trades happened.

Conroy holding strong until another team felt desperate and initiated the call is the best part of this.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:10 PM   #1275
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2024, 12:10 PM   #1276
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
I don't really understand how the control group can be all teams when the hypothesis is that Cup winning teams have identified having an RH C as a desirable thing, and ostensibly bad teams do not know this.

38.1% of NHL players were RH in 2018: https://www.purehockey.com/c/why-are...rs-left-handed

If we assume that the distribution of handedness is uniform across all positions, there is a 14.7% chance to randomly have 4 centers who are all LH, so 85.3% of teams would have at least one RH C.
The control group is the null hypothesis, not the opposite.

The control group is all teams. If cup-winning teams have more R-shooting Cs than the population at large, then there is a case to be made that R-shooting Cs are helpful

Also, I don't think we can assume that it is evenly distributed among positions because, with fewer righties, they tend to end up as RW and R-Ds

Last edited by Enoch Root; 02-01-2024 at 12:13 PM.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:11 PM   #1277
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

And it is a rental, in fact if the Canucks sign Lindholm that would make things worse for them...this isn't a homer he just got traded take. I bet you 90% of this board didn't want to sign Lindholm to a long term deal.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:12 PM   #1278
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Depending on your view of Brzustewicz vs Raty it is either the same as the Horvat trade or a little worse because of where the 1st round pick is likely to fall. This reads to a me as a Canuck fan downplaying what they paid for a rental.

It was, infact, the Horvat with a division tax of a long shot prospect and a later round pick. The Canucks got a better pick and a prospect higher up on the trading team's prospect rankings but that is more to do with the fact NYI had a dearth of prospects. Also because Horvat was playing out of his mind.

It was the deal the Canucks were comfortable making and a deal the Flames needed.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 02-01-2024, 12:14 PM   #1279
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
It was, infact, the Horvat with a division tax of a long shot prospect and a later round pick. The Canucks got a better pick and a prospect higher up on the trading team's prospect rankings but that is more to do with the fact NYI had a dearth of prospects. Also because Horvat was playing out of his mind.

It was the deal the Canucks were comfortable making and a deal the Flames needed.
OMG, stop being so reasonable. The WUUUUUURST!
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:15 PM   #1280
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Haven't noticed it mentioned, but I bet Conroy uses at least one of those retention spots to be a broker for a trade between two other teams. Takes on a player, retains and moves them along to make a trade work for another team tight against the cap and gets a few picks for doing so.

Don't listen to me tho, I thought he'd hang on to Lindholm until after the All Star break so all the GM's could get a look at him with their star...
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote