Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2022, 11:31 AM   #181
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Stomach bug has entered our household. Middle child and wife are now puking. Hoping the other 2 kids and I can avoid somehow.
Thoughts and prayers. Stomach bug is the ####ing worst.

We went thru a bout of it 2 years ago. 3/5 family members puking their guts out.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:34 PM   #182
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

The stomach bug recently went through 3/5 of our house.

I had it but didn't have to puke, I just had a tight and upset stomach. I forced myself to puke once and felt instant relief but within an hour I was back to square one. It lasted 4 days for me. Normally stomach bugs bother me for a day, maybe a day and a half. I also had an achy back during this and exhaustion.

My wife came home from work one day and asked me my symptoms. Hers were the same. She woke up the next morning and felt 100% again. That morning my youngest work up with an upset stomach. Stayed home from school but felt normal by supper.

Thankfully none of us got all pukey.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #183
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

H1N1 going around I heard.
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:48 PM   #184
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Water Cowboy #10 View Post
From where? There is nothing on Twitter about it other than "worst flu season since H1N1 in 2009"
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:10 PM   #185
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://covid-tracker.chi-csm.ca/

Influenza in Edmonton going to the moon. Looks similar for most places in Alberta. RSV charts and Covid look a bit more tame. But I guess it's tough to tell how this flu sewage data relates to previous years without context, so maybe this would be a typical fall season chart? Or maybe it's a hint to go get your flu shot...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:20 PM   #186
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
From where? There is nothing on Twitter about it other than "worst flu season since H1N1 in 2009"
My nephew just had it. He’s in the okanagan however. But if it’s there, I’m sure it’s here too
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:58 PM   #187
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting article regarding the natural ebb and flow of things like the flu, the merits of masking, etc. Also does a nice job of explaining how the immune system works and why some of what we are seeing now is not due to a weakened immune system from lack of exposure, but is related to lack of exposure at the same time. Pretty balanced article IMHO.

https://nationalpost.com/news/would-...-kids-immunity
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 04:01 PM   #188
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read that 96% of this year's flu is H3N2, which typically results in higher hospitalizations than average. Haven't seen any mention of H1N1.

I started to feel better yesterday but today was a step in the wrong direction. Was in bed almost all day, again.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 04:06 PM   #189
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ahh...the Ol' 'Costanza Diet.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
So.... How are all your Cold Showers helping ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I read that 96% of this year's flu is H3N2, which typically results in higher hospitalizations than average. Haven't seen any mention of H1N1.

I started to feel better yesterday but today was a step in the wrong direction. Was in bed almost all day, again.
Does anyone know if H3N2 was included in this year's vaccine?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 04:21 PM   #190
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Does anyone know if H3N2 was included in this year's vaccine?
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

This season's flu shot will help to protect you against:

influenza A(H1N1)
influenza A(H3N2)
influenza B
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 04:25 PM   #191
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Interesting article regarding the natural ebb and flow of things like the flu, the merits of masking, etc. Also does a nice job of explaining how the immune system works and why some of what we are seeing now is not due to a weakened immune system from lack of exposure, but is related to lack of exposure at the same time. Pretty balanced article IMHO.

https://nationalpost.com/news/would-...-kids-immunity
It’s not like a muscle that you need to exercise. Or like your brain, which might enjoy the challenge of a crossword puzzle. Rather, explained Furness, it’s like a series of photos — it snaps a picture of a virus and remembers it. But it doesn’t need to be practiced.

stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 04:54 PM   #192
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is now officially a respiratory illness outbreak at my one kid's school. So far we have been lucky and have kept the viruses away. My kid was sick one day just over a week ago but it was very minor and only 24 hours so who knows what that was.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 05:12 PM   #193
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
JFC lets just toss in some SARS, maybe get Hoof & Mouth going around too while we're at it? Sprinkle in some Ebola just for variety.

Close the world!! Again...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:30 PM   #194
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

We had 'mandatory' attendance 'lunch & learn' meetings at work today with 30+ people in tight quarters, in which half the people were coughing and hacking. I'm ####ing livid. As a side note, anyone have leads on where I can find infant & children's Tylenol? My niece and nephews are all sick. I have a friend whose 3 week old baby is in hospital up in Edmonton with RSV. Again, I'm so angry today.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 07:39 PM   #195
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I walked into the local convenuence store to grab milk and was greeted by a man and his kid both coughing and hacking, snotty noses, sniffing. I noped out of there, drove 5 minutes to another store and wore my mask in.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:17 PM   #196
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
We had 'mandatory' attendance 'lunch & learn' meetings at work today with 30+ people in tight quarters, in which half the people were coughing and hacking. I'm ####ing livid. As a side note, anyone have leads on where I can find infant & children's Tylenol? My niece and nephews are all sick. I have a friend whose 3 week old baby is in hospital up in Edmonton with RSV. Again, I'm so angry today.
Small pharmacies, or ask at a bigger one if they have any behind the counter(many are doing that to avoid hoarding), or are compounding.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:46 PM   #197
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This was on Monday so YMMV (I’m assuming you’re in Calgary):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
If anyone is looking, they have a good amount of stock of childrens Motrin (ibuprofen) at the pharmacy in the third floor of Gulf Canada Square. Not cheap though, it’s ringing up at $15.53 a bottle.

They also have infants Tylenol (1-24 months); not sure about price but I’m guessing something similar.

Limit 2 per customer.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 09:03 PM   #198
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, I’m in the same boat. Yesterday every person I had a meeting with was at home either sick or dealing with a sick kid. Tomorrow we have a department meeting and it was re-iterated how important it is for people to be in person. So, you can imagine how many people will be dragging their corpses in no matter how good they are feeling.

We had the same issue back in May when we had whole teams out with covid. It was budget time and we had all sorts of issues because many key groups were out for 7-10 days. Now we’re in a similar predicament with year end coming up. If I was king, I’d just have everyone work from home for the next 2 months to try and minimize people getting sick and get through the big push for year end.

Last edited by bagofpucks; 11-16-2022 at 09:07 PM.
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 09:17 PM   #199
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you aren't getting a script to get a batch mixed up or asking someone to buy a large batch from another country without a shortage like the US... I think you're basically shooting in the dark for the next little bit.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:55 PM   #200
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is why it is important to get your flu shot. The flu shot includes a booster for H1N1.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote