Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2021, 10:58 PM   #541
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm cool with the time travel stuff. Voyage Home and First Contact are two of my all-time favorite Trek flicks. If they can do it as good as those films did while making it fun and interesting, then I'm in. Personally I quite enjoyed season 1 and I'm looking forward to the new episodes.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #542
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Maybe Q can turn Pinocchio Picard back into a real boy again.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #543
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wish Q would change the timeline so this show and Discovery never existed.

Last edited by zamler; 06-22-2021 at 03:49 PM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 02:25 PM   #544
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I wish Q would change the timeline so this show Discovery never existed.
Q should jump into our reality and take out Alex Kurtzman 20 years ago like Deadpool took out Ryan Reynolds as he was reading the Green Lantern script.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 03:15 PM   #545
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I wish Q would change the timeline so this show Discovery never existed.
What really bothers me is that some fans equate criticism of Discovery with attacking the cast diversity and themes of strong feminism, sexual liberty, and acceptance.

Those are the only tolerable parts about the show though...
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #546
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
What really bothers me is that some fans equate criticism of Discovery with attacking the cast diversity and themes of strong feminism, sexual liberty, and acceptance.

Proves that these fans know zero about Star Trek, which in fact broke new ground for all the things you mentioned. And somehow they totally forgot about Janeway, love or hate the show we got a main female character long before Michael Burnham. Janeway was flawed and relied on her crew. Burnham saves the universe just because she is Burnham.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 06:32 PM   #547
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I'm cool with the time travel stuff. Voyage Home and First Contact are two of my all-time favorite Trek flicks. If they can do it as good as those films did while making it fun and interesting, then I'm in. Personally I quite enjoyed season 1 and I'm looking forward to the new episodes.
The whole "time is broken and you have to fix it" thing sounds like Picard is turning into Dr. Sam Beckett
Old 06-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #548
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's sadly a shuderingly terrifying possibility. Picard opens with "The Final Frontier is Time". And what is Discovery doing? Time travel. See where this is going, right?
I was thinking that was Control going through that portal.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:58 PM   #549
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Was it ever confirmed if control was the same villain as the one from Picard? I remember bringing this up in the discovery thread but don’t remember if it was answered. Sometimes it’s best to block out the trauma.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 10:42 PM   #550
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I do agree, however I keep thinking they talk about dviersity and strong feminism and then totally make female crew members outside of Michael just idiotic or worthless.

then the really laughable is when George was shuffled off, every one forgot that she was a genocidal mass murdering cannibal. Oh but she was a bad a$$.

What!!!

I'm all for strong female characters and diversity and all of that stuff, but Discover is hilariously mocking it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:54 PM   #551
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I do agree, however I keep thinking they talk about dviersity and strong feminism and then totally make female crew members outside of Michael just idiotic or worthless.

then the really laughable is when George was shuffled off, every one forgot that she was a genocidal mass murdering cannibal. Oh but she was a bad a$$.

What!!!

I'm all for strong female characters and diversity and all of that stuff, but Discover is hilariously mocking it.
I dont think they are at all. I wouldnt attribute them enough intelligence nor competence to actually perpetrate a mocking on this level.

I think they might well be so clueless and completely ensconced in their faux-woke bubble-lives that they've actually mistaken their mockery for empowerment.

Its actually really easy to spot because most of it doesnt pass 'The Smell Test.'

Usually when you're watching and someone who has had this garbage fed to them their whole lives and they roll their eyes and ask if anyone actually buys this crap...wives, GFs, daughters...thats usually a good indication, because they can spot smoke being blown up their ass from 1000 paces.

Its like people who change their photos on Facebook to 'Raise Awareness.'

Oh you're raising awareness alright, but not at all about what you thought you were.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:39 PM   #552
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The whole "time is broken and you have to fix it" thing sounds like Picard is turning into Dr. Sam Beckett
18 year old Dr. Sam Beckett?
Old 06-23-2021, 07:47 AM   #553
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Was it ever confirmed if control was the same villain as the one from Picard? I remember bringing this up in the discovery thread but don’t remember if it was answered. Sometimes it’s best to block out the trauma.
I don't think they said anything specific, just WAG on my part.

I was expecting Burnham to come out of the portal and blow everything up.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:48 AM   #554
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

What!!!

or that time when they made the most junior officer on the ship 2nd in command (in what is supposedly a fully functioning pseudo military organization) because Girl Power and she listens the best? Or something??

I'm expecting Burnham will save Kirk from death on Soren's planet and return him to the nexus in this upcoming season for the ultimate final f you to og trek fans.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:52 AM   #555
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

hey remember when Picard would tell us every week that they were about to boldly go where no one has gone before? does Pepperidge farm still remember or is Kurtzman running that too?

last I checked, the universe (hell even just the Milky Way for that matter) is a big enough place that they shouldn't have run out of things to discover, the point where all that's left to explore are temporal incursions. are they just overloading with this multi-timeline/alternate reality stuff cause Marvel made it cool?

if the Federation is bored with its own galaxy, maybe they could do a story branching out to the local group. even Kirk's crew had dealings with species and stuff from Andromeda, so it's not an insurmountable journey with the right technology, say if they perfected transwarp or quantum slipstream (or bring back the fungus/water bear drive or the Tom Paris salamander drive for all I care). if the writers continue to have a big woody for galactic apocalypses, maybe you can have something that's making the quadrant or whole Milky Way uninhabitable, so they have to find new settling grounds. maybe figure out how to get past the great barrier, and discover in horrible fashion why it was created in the first place. there's infinite stories to tell without having to resort to "what would Seven of Nine look like without face metal??"

and goddammit, if you can't write a compelling story at the very minimum give me my starship beauty shots. that one scene in Discovery when they enter the future Federation headquarters had so much promise, but it turned out to be crap. I don't remember a single ship from that or even the subsequent battle scenes, because for some reason the showrunners hate actually showing ships on screen without shaky/blurry/fast cut/peripheral vision cam. hell I don't even remember what Booker's ship looks like because it's an amorphous blob with ADHD that shapeshifts every 2 seconds.

so yeah, I kind of have some problems with current live action Trek. Lower Decks is sort of the only thing keeping me tethered to the franchise at the moment. I am also excited for more Pike too I guess.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 09:03 AM   #556
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'm expecting Burnham will save Kirk from death on Soren's planet and return him to the nexus in this upcoming season for the ultimate final f you to og trek fans.
actually I'd be ok with this, the way Kirk went out - falling off bridge during senior citizen fight and getting buried in the wilderness without the Starfleet memorial service he deserves was junk.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #557
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
actually I'd be ok with this, the way Kirk went out - falling off bridge during senior citizen fight and getting buried in the wilderness without the Starfleet memorial service he deserves was junk.

That always bugged me as well. It's James T. f***in' Kirk, man. The most badass Captain in Starfleet history and a significant historical figure to TNG crew. Why not transport his body back to Earth for a proper burial? So dumb.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #558
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Name a ship Voyager-J (J already?? Cursed name lol) for fan service and then only show it in one blurry pan by shot, no ship battle (even though it's involved in multiple off screen...) Kurtzman is learned in the Benioff and Weiss school of fan ####itude.

Wow ugh I had buried most of this but it is coming out of me violently.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:29 AM   #559
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Name a ship Voyager-J (J already?? Cursed name lol) for fan service and then only show it in one blurry pan by shot, no ship battle (even though it's involved in multiple off screen...) Kurtzman is learned in the Benioff and Weiss school of fan ####itude.

Wow ugh I had buried most of this but it is coming out of me violently.
What is: "The Title of Alex Kurtzman's Sex Tape?"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #560
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
That always bugged me as well. It's James T. f***in' Kirk, man. The most badass Captain in Starfleet history and a significant historical figure to TNG crew. Why not transport his body back to Earth for a proper burial? So dumb.
Maybe they did.

Picard was right in burying the body right away. Even a two day old corpse has horrible stench and bloating.