Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-13-2017, 01:55 AM   #181
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Should we be more hyped with the acquisition of Travis Hamonic? I'm still not really sure what we have in this player. Played and thrived on the top pairing in NY before being hampered by injuries. Only 26 years of age, and their fans speak the moon of him.

Apparently his analytics aren't great, but Stone's were even worse (like Edmonton Oiler levels of suck) and I thought he was great in his little stretch here.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #182
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah, we've already missed our window.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #183
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Should we be more hyped with the acquisition of Travis Hamonic? I'm still not really sure what we have in this player. Played and thrived on the top pairing in NY before being hampered by injuries. Only 26 years of age, and their fans speak the moon of him.

Apparently his analytics aren't great, but Stone's were even worse (like Edmonton Oiler levels of suck) and I thought he was great in his little stretch here.

He's the #4 here so won't feel the pressure of being "the guy" on the back end, which was Isles fans biggest criticism of him and how that affected his playing style.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #184
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post

I'm hyped for him. He's going to most likely be the best defensive defenseman we've had since Regehr. Not to mention having him for 3 years on that contract was so worth the 1st rounded. Adding to that, he WANTS to be here. We've seen from the past that players that want to play here will play better. Examples are Gio, Backlund, and Versteeg. I'm really excited to see him play, at 100% and not 75.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #185
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes, I think this team has Stanley Cup potential and I'll tell you why. The first month was absolute disaster, an absolutely atrocious start that really skewed the numbers for the rest of the season.

It took the team a month to adjust to their new coach and a new shutdown line (3M) and dominant defensive pairing (Gio-Dougie) later and this team truly looked elite. When you look at the numbers from there onwards, you'll see just how good this team was after the first nonth.

These stats are from NHL.com after the first month of the season vs all 30 teams (in 66 gms)

Wins: 40 = 4th best
Goals Allowed: 161 = 3rd best
Shots Allowed: 1894 = 5th best
PP%: 23% = 6th best
PK%: 84.1% = 6th best
Goals Scored: 184 = 15th best
Faceoff%: 48.6% = 20th best

These stats show that this was an upper echelon team in some very important categories. The team has since improved on the backend and could be even better next season defensively. Offensively, the team wasn't quite as strong, but Gaudreau didn't get going until the last quarter of the season when Ferland was inserted on the top line. Also, any improvement from Sam Bennett would help overall team scoring considerably. Also, no Wideman should help the team by addition from subtraction, hopefully less penalties and an increase in goal differential. Overall, this team could easily be elite and contend for a cup if all goes as planned.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #186
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This team's core is like 5-6 other teams(Toronto, Edmonton, Buffalo, Winnipeg, Florida, Tampa Bay *This list is in no order*), they do have Stanley Cup Potential but are missing somethings(experience, Defensive depth, Offensive depth, Goal tending or what ever it may be.)

In the case of the Flames the most important thing they are missing is someone who can take over a game and challenge for the Hart Ross Trophy(Connor McDavid or Auston Matthews) and goal tending, this has been a issue since Kipper left.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #187
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
In the case of the Flames the most important thing they are missing is someone who can take over a game and challenge for the Hart Ross Trophy.
How many teams have a player that's going to continuously challenge for the Art Ross?

That's a bit overdramatic as far as concerns go.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #188
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This core needs to demonstrate it is possible for an established or promising goaltender to be #1 here and not sewer his career in one season. That's really all I hope we get out of Mike Smith. Then we can talk about Stanley Cup prospects with this group.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #189
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sub-Par as usual.

- Gaudreau was tied for sixth in scoring a year ago.
- Gaudreau produced at the same points pace as Matthews this year.
- After Ferland was added to his line, Gaudreau produced at a 93 point pace, which would have been 2nd if sustained. Crazy thing is that he was only shooting 14.9% over that stretch. He shot 14.4% over his entire 80 game rookie season, slumps and all.

Since the cap:
-2006 Staal was 7th in scoring
-2007 Selanne was 11th in scoring
-2008 Datsyuk was 4th in scoring
-2010 Kane was 9th in scoring
-2011 Lucic was 40th in scoring, Krejci was "on-pace" to be 26th in scoring
-2012 Kopitar was 17th in scoring
-2013 Kane was 5th in scoring
-2014 Kopitar was 17th in scoring
-2015 Kane was "on-pace" to be 4th in scoring, but was actually 29th

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-13-2017 at 03:16 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 05:57 PM   #190
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
How many teams have a player that's going to continuously challenge for the Art Ross?

That's a bit overdramatic as far as concerns go.
If we want to be a Stanley Cup team, than we need some one to be in the Art Ross discussion. (This can be someone inside the organization or outside, I read this in the Hockey News Magazine(they are talking about the Flames.) They were ranking the Canadian teams for their chances at the Stanley Cup, they had the Oilers ranked first, the Leafs at 2nd place and the Flames at 3rd, their reasoning were McDavid and Matthews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Sub-Par as usual.

- Gaudreau was tied for sixth in scoring a year ago.
- Gaudreau produced at the same points pace as Matthews this year.
- After Ferland was added to his line, Gaudreau produced at a 93 point pace, which would have been 2nd if sustained. Crazy thing is that he was only shooting 14.9% over that stretch. He shot 14.4% over his entire 80 game rookie season, slumps and all.

Since the cap:
-2006 Staal was 7th in scoring
-2007 Selanne was 11th in scoring
-2008 Datsyuk was 4th in scoring
-2010 Kane was 9th in scoring
-2011 Lucic was 40th in scoring, Krejci was "on-pace" to be 26th in scoring
-2012 Kopitar was 17th in scoring
-2013 Kane was 5th in scoring
-2014 Kopitar was 17th in scoring
-2015 Kane was "on-pace" to be 4th in scoring, but was actually 29th
Those teams had great depth and vey good goaltending. This was Matthews first season.

Last edited by Par; 08-14-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:07 PM   #191
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think if we want to be Stanley Cup team, than we need some to be in contention for the cup, than need some one be in Art Ross discussion.

I'm not sure what's worse, this attempt at a coherent sentence... or the fact that what you're trying to say was shown to be patently false.

They don't need someone to score at Crosby / McDavid levels. They need the depth they have by not having that much salary tied up in that kind of player (of which there are very few, another reason your premise makes no sense)... - to score by committee throughout the top nine. Something that looks very possible with the emerging young talent we have.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #192
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
I'm not sure what's worse, this attempt at a coherent sentence... or the fact that what you're trying to say was shown to be patently false.

They don't need someone to score at Crosby / McDavid levels. They need the depth they have by not having that much salary tied up in that kind of player (of which there are very few, another reason your premise makes no sense)... - to score by committee throughout the top nine. Something that looks very possible with the emerging young talent we have.

I have fixed the sentence, sorry about that.

If we have someone in the top of the scoring, it will only help. The Flames depth is nice but they need to come through when the teams needs it.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #193
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh yeah. Not just but one but multiple cups. It's not a question of if, but when.

(who do I sound like?)
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #194
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

In 1988-89, Joe Mullen was 7th in NHL point scoring, 89 points behind Mario Lemieux. He was 5th in goal scoring, 34 goals behind Lemieux.

In fact, the Pittsburgh Penguins had three players with more points than any Calgary Flame: Lemieux, Rob Brown, and Paul Coffey. They bowed out in the second round.

The L.A. Kings had two of the top four scorers, Gretzky and Bernie Nicholls. They got swept in the second round.

Just saying.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:06 PM   #195
P-DAZZLE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I have fixed the sentence, sorry about that.

If we have someone in the top of the scoring, it will only help. The Flames depth is nice but they need to come through when the teams needs it.
Did you?

"If we want to be a Stanley Cup team, than then we need some one someone to be in the Art Ross discussion. (This can be someone inside the organization or outside, I read this in the Hockey News Magazine(they are talking about the Flames.) Two open brackets, one closed bracket"

Do you mean we need an Art Ross candidate for The Hockey News Magazine to consider use a Stanley Cup contender? Are you saying The Hockey News wrote that we need an Art Ross candidate and you took it as fact? I'm not trying to be the grammar police but I think some clarity is necessary, especially when this is the "fixed" sentence.
P-DAZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote