Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #1701
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^
In all reality it has little to no value. It is 6 generations behind and 3 generations behind on software. The benefit of selling it as an iPod is even a negative as it doesn't have Apple Music.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #1702
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I usually just go on Kijiji and look at what others are trying to sell it for, keeping in mind people will often ask more than it's worth, and see how many there are as well.

But yeah you probably won't be able to get much for it, $40 or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #1703
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could turn it into a webcam.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #1704
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
I have MacBook Air laptop, but have always had android phones. Through points rewards program, I can get a iPhone 7 (not "plus" unfortunately). Main things I want from smartphone is a good, convenient camera.

Has anyone switched from Android to iPhone7? Experience?
Should I be holding out for iPhone8 if I'm going to make the switch (though never can tell when/if rewards program will have and not sure I can wait)?
General thoughts?

(Mods: posting in Android thread as well; not trying to duplicate but thinking Android/Apple users may only visit one of these threads - delete one, if you must)
Definitely wait for the 8.
Switching is easy, especially if you're in the Apple ecosystem(Mac). Seamless integration of things like passwords, messaging and itunes is nice.
The one thing I missed was the customization of the screens. Apps and stuff, everything I needed on one seemed to be available on the other.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #1705
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Looks like Touch ID will be on the back, if this photo is to be believed.

https://www.cultofmac.com/496382/fox...-id-fears/amp/

Not a big deal. I've used the Nexus 6P and Pixel, and the only time having the fingerprint reader on the back is a pain is when the phone is sitting on a desk.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #1706
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's better on the back anyway I think! Good move, excited for this.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #1707
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Looks like Touch ID will be on the back, if this photo is to be believed.

https://www.cultofmac.com/496382/fox...-id-fears/amp/

Not a big deal. I've used the Nexus 6P and Pixel, and the only time having the fingerprint reader on the back is a pain is when the phone is sitting on a desk.
I have a hard time believing that Apple, a company so big on design and fluidity with their devices, would not use the Apple logo as the finger-print scanner. Seems like a missed opportunity. I really can't see them using a separate scanner below the logo or even on the back for that matter.

My sources tell me that the 7s & 7s Plus will be exactly the same, just internals upgraded. The form factors will remain the same.

The iPhone 8, or whatever they call it, will have the radical new design (by Apple standards) and have no touch ID or finger-print sensor.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #1708
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The no fingerprint sensor I think was going to be their design, they were still going to have it just have it underneath the screen and able to read through the screen. It works but apparently they've been having problems mass producing the design, so switched to one on the back. That's what I've read anyway.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:11 AM   #1709
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So my new cord that's less than 20 days old has already frayed and the silver wiring is starting to show.

How can I possibly be hard on my wires? I literally only plug it in and sometimes use it while I'm in bed and connected.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #1710
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
So my new cord that's less than 20 days old has already frayed and the silver wiring is starting to show.

How can I possibly be hard on my wires? I literally only plug it in and sometimes use it while I'm in bed and connected.
Do you have pets? Mice? Toddlers? My cat used to chew any wires he could get his gnawy little mouth on.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #1711
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Do you have pets? Mice? Toddlers? My cat used to chew any wires he could get his gnawy little mouth on.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk
No pets and I'm in a country where they only use 220 power so not going to risk burning anything and will have to buy yet another cord. This one was a Belkin which the Apple Store guy told me is a great wire and very durable....

It's not even damaged, just literally little silver wires coming out the end that connects the head.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #1712
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm willing to bet the cord is stressed while you use it in bed. My wife does the same thing and goes through a cord every few months. I have cords that are 5 years old and never use it will plugged in.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #1713
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No pets and I'm in a country where they only use 220 power so not going to risk burning anything and will have to buy yet another cord. This one was a Belkin which the Apple Store guy told me is a great wire and very durable....

It's not even damaged, just literally little silver wires coming out the end that connects the head.
The silver wires are just shielding wires, so as long as the actual wires inside are presumably fine, it isn't dangerous. (Edit: But if you start seeing your phone connect and disconnect if you gently wiggle the area, that would suggest that there is an issue with the wires). It should last long enough to get a recommended cable from Amazon which will be better than anything Apple or Belkin will sell you. Also, if your newest one wasn't already a 6-footer, get one. Having a little slack will put it under less stress if you're using it in bed.

Hell, for the cost of the Belkin/Apple, you can probably buy a long and a short one if you wanted to.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 08-13-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #1714
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
So I want to try and sell my old Iphone 4 8GB. It's about 4 years old in pretty good condition and was with Rogers. I'm just looking for suggestions as to what I should list it for. I don't want to ask more than what it's worth but I also don't want to rip myself off.

Thanks in advance
You'll be lucky to get $75 for it, honestly. It's a 7 year old phone model and 8 GB is an obsolete memory storage.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #1715
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
The silver wires are just shielding wires, so as long as the actual wires inside are presumably fine, it isn't dangerous. (Edit: But if you start seeing your phone connect and disconnect if you gently wiggle the area, that would suggest that there is an issue with the wires). It should last long enough to get a recommended cable from Amazon which will be better than anything Apple or Belkin will sell you. Also, if your newest one wasn't already a 6-footer, get one. Having a little slack will put it under less stress if you're using it in bed.

Hell, for the cost of the Belkin/Apple, you can probably buy a long and a short one if you wanted to.
It is a 10 footer!
Old 08-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #1716
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is a 10 footer!
Well damn. I'd take that back and get a new one or refund.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #1717
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It is a 10 footer!
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N75EALQ

Buy that and call it a day. If you wreck that cable there is no cable out there that will make you happy haha. If you pull it out by the cord or use it while plugged in you will drastically reduce the lifespan of a cord because that consistent reparative stress no cord can take.

Last edited by Diemenz; 08-13-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #1718
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just purchased a new iPad Pro (12.9") and an Apple Pencil for work. I wanted something that I could take notes with and the iPad seemed to fit the bill. I plan on doing some Office suite work so I also ordered a Surface Pro (2017). I'm hoping to compare the two and see which complements my work flow the most. I tried playing with the devices at Chinook this weekend but didn't get a good sense of them. The one thing I can say about that huge iPad is that it's incredible light!
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #1719
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
You'll be lucky to get $75 for it, honestly. It's a 7 year old phone model and 8 GB is an obsolete memory storage.
I paid $50 when I got it so if I was able to get $75 for it I'd be perfectly fine with that.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #1720
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Earlier somebody else posted that you'd be lucky to get $40 for it. I think the biggest variable in the cost of the phone is the condition of the charging cable.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote