Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #161
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

They are sitting down in the old auction site on 52 and 94ave.looks pretty crazy how many they have purchased must of cost the city a pretty penny
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:31 PM   #162
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Cool. We have some large absorbent pads at work that might be good for the bottom of the bin
What are they made from? Might not be suitable material. I don't use any compostable bags except for the ones that the kitchen bin uses and if I run out of space in the big bin. Which won't be much a problem now that the original pilot program bins have been replaced by a much larger one.

I don't bother lining the bottom if stuff sticks no big deal you can soak it for a bit it comes out clean enough. I find very little actually sticks to the bottom anyway.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #163
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there a decent source for the compostable bags?

Also, does anyone know if the city offers smaller versions of all the bins? It's only me at my place and it would take me over a month to fill any of the current sized ones, I'd rather have the garage space
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #164
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post

Also, does anyone know if the city offers smaller versions of all the bins? It's only me at my place and it would take me over a month to fill any of the current sized ones, I'd rather have the garage space
You can get the compostable bags at any grocery store. I think most chains even have a cheaper store brand option. When they launched the pilot program in southwood years ago they included 100 compostable bags, haven't heard if they are doing that again though.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #165
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Walmart has cheap compostable bags that fit in the kitchen bin and they have no added scent. Look for the "Great Value" green and white box 80 bags. Costs about the same as the Glad box that has 20 bags and they smell like rotten mint. FYI not all Walmart locations seem to have these bags I bought them at Westbrook which also carries these delicious German pickles I have not seen at other locations.

The city took away my smaller bin, sorry. BTW Canadian Tire used to sell really cheap compostable bags, like $2.50 for a big box that product vanished from their shelves. Big Recycle got to someone.

edit - last one on the list

Last edited by zamler; 08-12-2017 at 10:00 PM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:58 PM   #166
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Walmart has cheap compostable bags that fit in the kitchen bin and they have no added scent. Look for the "Great Value" green and white box 80 bags. Costs about the same as the Glad box that has 20 bags and they smell like rotten mint. FYI not all Walmart locations seem to have these bags I bought them at Westbrook which also carries these delicious German pickles I have not seen at other locations.

The city took away my smaller bin, sorry.
Shop from anywhere but Walmart
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #167
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
What are they made from? Might not be suitable material. I don't use any compostable bags except for the ones that the kitchen bin uses and if I run out of space in the big bin. Which won't be much a problem now that the original pilot program bins have been replaced by a much larger one.

I don't bother lining the bottom if stuff sticks no big deal you can soak it for a bit it comes out clean enough. I find very little actually sticks to the bottom anyway.
I don't know what they are made of but it probably isn't compostable but if my bin becomes a mess I might try a pad.

For bags, we bought the ones from Walmart. They are really cheap and do a good job. We also bought the ones from Costco thinking it would be the cheapest option but returned those after finding the Walmart stuff.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #168
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are these bags available everywhere? I haven't notice them before, but I wasn't looking for them in particular. I don't shop at Walmart or Costco.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #169
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the kitchen bin you can also line with newspaper instead of buying bags (the City website has suggestions on how to do that). I haven't bothered using large bags in the green bin itself and haven't had any issues yet, if stuff starts to stick to the bottom I'll just hose it out.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #170
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Are these bags available everywhere? I haven't notice them before, but I wasn't looking for them in particular. I don't shop at Walmart or Costco.
Here is a list from the city:
https://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages...nd-liners.aspx
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #171
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

We tried the kitchen bin thing but I have a bit of that cleanliness OCD and I can't handle the smell. I can smell it on my main floor the moment I walk into the house. Wrapping it in newspaper isn't good enough.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #172
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Thank-you! This is what I was looking for and could never find. All I kept finding was info about when bins would be delivered, etc. which doesn't really matter to me as I figure I will know it's been delivered when I see it sitting in front of my house.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #173
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Amazon has these that I am going to try out once my current stash is depleted. (Bought more of the Glad ones like they gave out with green bin not knowing any different)

My green bin has been has been full to the brim last couple of weeks with a backlog of mostly branches from tree and shrub trimming. Just keep working the pile down.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #174
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like the green bins. Once the plant cuttings go away, I doubt I'll ever fill it more than 1/4 of the way, but it's helpful regardless. I'm only tossing about 1 bag every 10 days into the actual garbage instead of every third day with the food waste. I'm not bothering to put compost bags in the bin. Easier to just wash it out every day once it fills up.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #175
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I really like the green bins. Once the plant cuttings go away, I doubt I'll ever fill it more than 1/4 of the way, but it's helpful regardless. I'm only tossing about 1 bag every 10 days into the actual garbage instead of every third day with the food waste. I'm not bothering to put compost bags in the bin. Easier to just wash it out every day once it fills up.
You don't have a problem with flies and such? I used to live in Hungary and people there often didn't bag stuff first and the bin was so smelly and disgusting and covered with flies and other bugs it was awful to walk by it. Now, this was an open bin for an entire building, and people threw all garbage into it, so maybe that wouldn't happen with a closed bin for my house only, but I'm worried the green bin will get disgusting in a hurry if it's full of loose food scraps and dog poop.

Keeping scraps loose in a kitchen bin that I can empty and wash daily doesn't sound as bad.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #176
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cat Owners: what are you using to scoop kitty litter into before putting it into your green bin?

I was about to use old Amazon boxes but realized that the box tape they use is plastic fiber reinforced.

Most of the compostable bag options can't see to take any weight, let alone the jagged edges of a clump.

Paper grocery bags would seem to be ideal but I can't seem to get any. Will Safeway / Coop bag in paper bags if asked? Buying paper grocery bags seems to be impossible, unless in lots of 500.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #177
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
You don't have a problem with flies and such? I used to live in Hungary and people there often didn't bag stuff first and the bin was so smelly and disgusting and covered with flies and other bugs it was awful to walk by it. Now, this was an open bin for an entire building, and people threw all garbage into it, so maybe that wouldn't happen with a closed bin for my house only, but I'm worried the green bin will get disgusting in a hurry if it's full of loose food scraps and dog poop.

Keeping scraps loose in a kitchen bin that I can empty and wash daily doesn't sound as bad.
I keep the lid shut unless I am opening it to dump stuff in. There are a few flies, but it's minimal. It does smell quite a bit, but I think that would happen regardless if you bag the stuff or not as the black bin that I have had for a long while reeks too. Might have to eventually wash them out as well with the power washer, but I'm not too worried about that right now.

If I left the green bin open, it would get awful in no time.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #178
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
the black bin that I have had for a long while reeks too.
My black bin smelled aweful most of the summer. Last week I sprinkled a generous helping of baking soda at the bottom and let it sit. Then this week it smelled a lot better, but for good measure I emptied a box of baking soda, and a litre of vinegar - closed the lit and let it sit. Today I washed and rinsed with the hose, and it smells as good as new.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #179
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Cat Owners: what are you using to scoop kitty litter into before putting it into your green bin?

I was about to use old Amazon boxes but realized that the box tape they use is plastic fiber reinforced.

Most of the compostable bag options can't see to take any weight, let alone the jagged edges of a clump.

Paper grocery bags would seem to be ideal but I can't seem to get any. Will Safeway / Coop bag in paper bags if asked? Buying paper grocery bags seems to be impossible, unless in lots of 500.
Not a cat owner but pretty sure I saw co op or Safeway - or both - had paper bags for sale. Big ones for yard waste, and smaller ones too. In addition to garbage area, check in food storage area - paper lunch bags are an idea.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:24 PM   #180
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm afraid paper lunch bags are way too small and flimsy to hold up to 1 week's worth of scooped kitty litter from 2 cats. We're talking about 15-20 lbs of jagged clumps (I scoop weekly for 2 cats).

Here's what I've found so far - Home Depot / Walmart have large "bag to earth" bags - these are lined with some sort of compostable film that makes them waterproof. Size is about 36L. These are about $7 for 5, or $1.40 each. That's too rich for me.

The usual monstrous 80L yard waste bags are about $0.50 cents. These are absolute overkill, but at $0.50 cents I'm better off dollarwise using these as these are the only compostable and weight capable bags out there that come at a price I can live with.

Unless I can find a grocery stores that still offers "paper" and not just plastic...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote