Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-09-2017, 05:57 AM   #21
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love guys who can do everything, and Backlund is one of those guys. The thing is though, he's not the biggest, fastest, best skater, best shot, most skilled, or the best at any single physical trait. Sure he's better than average at all those things, but he's a guy that gets it done with his brain. He reads plays exceptionally well, anticipates, plays with determination and resolve, and outthinks his opponent all over the ice. That's what makes him effective in all situations just like Gio. He's become my 2nd favorite Flame just behind Giordano.

Thanks for the video AC!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 07:59 AM   #22
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

AC is Calgarypuck's Backlund.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #23
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
AC is Calgarypuck's Backlund.
Except AC is elite at videos. Top 5 in the message board league at least.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #24
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There are different types of strength. Engelland could move bodies from in front of the net. Other guys are fighters...but I don't know if anyone simply skates as STRONG as Backlund. He wins board battles constantly. He skates through as many people while carrying the puck as he does around them. He just always seems to have great body position / leverage and is able to out-muscle when defending and when attacking. Frolik has it too...but when healthy (like the last couple seasons)...nobody on the Flames seems stronger on the puck!
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyTitan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 01:28 AM   #25
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:29 AM   #26
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Oh man, that's awesome!

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:55 AM   #27
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This could double as a Tkachuk highlight video. Man what a combination those two are.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:33 AM   #28
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching that video I couldn't help but be frustrated at how hard it is for a center to score just 53 points in today's NHL. Prime Backlund could have easily scored 80+ if he were playing with Iggy in 2007 or so when it was power plays galore, way looser checking and less sound voaltenders on average I mean Olli Jokinen scored 80+ multiple times in that era and was never half the player I am watching in this video. We expect Bennett to score 50 but look at how many of Backlund's points touched the sticks of three or four great players on the rush or forecheck before they get back to Backlund's stick - and that's with Backlund being a Selke caliber play driver. No wonder Bennett struggled last year. Even Toews and Kopitar didn't hit 60 last year... frustrating AF. Crosby had less points last year than Brad Richards in 2006.

Also that OT Goal by Brodie / Backs / Frolik really made me sad. What. A. Goal. Brodie is being so neutered without Hartley's wide open system. I get why we play safer hockey now... it's easier/more effective for some guys especially down the lineup to play in that structure...but a guy like Brodie needs the puck on his stick with some open ice and a green light to just be TJ Brodie. I could rewatch that goal all day.

Watching this video kind of changed my optimism for the season. We have a #1 center worth of a player between Backlund / Monahan. Just gotta get past the Ducks.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-10-2017 at 05:54 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #29
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Watching that video I couldn't help but be frustrated at how hard it is for a center to score just 53 points in today's NHL. Prime Backlund could have easily scored 80+ if he were playing with Iggy in 2007 or so when it was power plays galore, way looser checking and less sound voaltenders on average I mean Olli Jokinen scored 80+ multiple times in that era and was never half the player I am watching in this video. We expect Bennett to score 50 but look at how many of Backlund's points touched the sticks of three or four great players on the rush or forecheck before they get back to Backlund's stick - and that's with Backlund being a Selke caliber play driver. No wonder Bennett struggled last year. Even Toews and Kopitar didn't hit 60 last year... frustrating AF. Crosby had less points last year than Brad Richards in 2006.

Also that OT Goal by Brodie / Backs / Frolik really made me sad. What. A. Goal. Brodie is being so neutered without Hartley's wide open system. I get why we play safer hockey now... it's easier/more effective for some guys especially down the lineup to play in that structure...but a guy like Brodie needs the puck on his stick with some open ice and a green light to just be TJ Brodie. I could rewatch that goal all day.

Watching this video kind of changed my optimism for the season. We have a #1 center worth of a player between Backlund / Monahan. Just gotta get past the Ducks.
This year will probably be better for Brodie in regards to the bolded. He finally has a legitimate partner to stabilize his own zone so that he can take some more risks offensively. Hamonic will do wonders for Brodie's game. Remember that last year Brodie had a lame duck Wideman, Engelland, and then Stone (I like Stone, but he's nowhere near the calibre of defenseman that Hamonic is). Still, once Stone arrived, Brodie put up 13 points in 19 games because he finally had a stable partner to help him get the puck up the ice. I wouldn't be shocked to see him score at that rate this year with Hamonic as his partner.

Remember, it's safer hockey, but the system is designed to turn the puck over with sticks, and not necessarily the body, and quickly transition the other way for offense. That seems like the ideal system from Brodie to play in actually.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #30
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just a small qualitative side-note (which I'm sure someone could look-up "Fancy Stats" on) -> but it really seemed like the 3M line was mostly out there 5-on-5 with Gio and Hamilton. I'm sure Gio and Dougie saw lots of time with "Our #1 Line" but watching AC's video it seems as though the 3M line really was our #1 line. I wonder how other teams defended the Flames? Johnny and Mony get top-flight coverage or second-rate?

It's obvious that the 3M line is awesome on it's own. They would be causing teams fits regardless of the D pairing out with them...but does some of the credit for their monster possession numbers go to Gio and Dougie? Or vice-versa. Or most likely -> are all five NHL elite and together they can't be stopped?

This season, the Flames really should be able to run two solid SOLID 5-on-5 units out there...with Bennett hopefully taking advantages of mis-matches on the 3rd line.
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #31
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolutely 100% my favorite Flame. I love the emotion he plays with.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #32
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTitan View Post
Just a small qualitative side-note (which I'm sure someone could look-up "Fancy Stats" on) -> but it really seemed like the 3M line was mostly out there 5-on-5 with Gio and Hamilton. I'm sure Gio and Dougie saw lots of time with "Our #1 Line" but watching AC's video it seems as though the 3M line really was our #1 line. I wonder how other teams defended the Flames? Johnny and Mony get top-flight coverage or second-rate?

It's obvious that the 3M line is awesome on it's own. They would be causing teams fits regardless of the D pairing out with them...but does some of the credit for their monster possession numbers go to Gio and Dougie? Or vice-versa. Or most likely -> are all five NHL elite and together they can't be stopped?

This season, the Flames really should be able to run two solid SOLID 5-on-5 units out there...with Bennett hopefully taking advantages of mis-matches on the 3rd line.
3M + Gio-Hamilton were each great separately, and even more so together, so it's not surprising that they produced a lot of highlights together. IIRC the fancy stats were something like 55% for each separately, and 60+% for the 5 together. Plus, they were the 5-man unit we wanted together against the other team's best players, so that also caused them to spend quite a bit of time together. Also they were the #2 (although I'd argue #1B) PP unit for most of the year.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland-Brodie-Stone was our best 5v5 unit statistically in the playoffs (except for the whole 0% Shooting Percentage thing), so replace Stone with Hamonic and it's not crazy to think we can ice two very good 5v5 units.

I agree if we can get Bennett's line going then look out. We know Stajan + whoever is a solid 4th line that can give you 12+ minutes a night of low-event hockey, so that's all we're missing before we can roll 4 very effective lines.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #33
DigitalCarpenter
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTitan View Post

I remember reading somewhere that if we could play those 5 players the entire game we would never lose. I would think the other teams view that group as our top line and defend accordingly.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #34
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Another great job AC!! man is Backlund awesome on the penalty kill
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote