Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #41
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Based on what, exactly?

The Flames didn't even deem him worthy of an NHL two-way contract, but for some reason you think he'd be a top 20 prospect? I'm genuinely curious as to why.
The fact that he scored a crap ton of goals and more than most defensemen in his league?
Old 08-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #42
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone
Based on what, exactly?

The Flames didn't even deem him worthy of an NHL two-way contract, but for some reason you think he'd be a top 20 prospect? I'm genuinely curious as to why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
The fact that he scored a crap ton of goals and more than most defensemen in his league?
For me, this was a puzzling decision. I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it.

Kylington reminds me of Brodie before Jim Playfair set him straight.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:13 PM   #43
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Darren Haynes - Updated Top 20 Prospects

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post

I would say go take a look at the leading scorers in the ECHL over the last 20+ years and tell me how many NHL'ers are listed. Since 1989 the only two - THE ONLY TWO - worth noting? Scott Gomez in 2005 and David Desharnais in 2008. That illustrates pretty effectively that goals/points don't really matter in the ECHL when looking to project player success.

The ECHL is effectively a graveyard except in very rare cases for some noteworthy NHL goalies (Quick, Holtby, Vokoun), and depth NHL'ers (Burrows, Corvo, Gomez, Ryder).

Last edited by ComixZone; 08-08-2017 at 03:18 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #44
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
I would say go take a look at the leading scorers in the ECHL over the last 20+ years and tell me how many NHL'ers are listed. Since 1989 the only two - THE ONLY TWO - worth noting? Scott Gomez in 2005 and David Desharnais in 2008. That illustrates pretty effectively that goals/points don't really matter in the ECHL when looking to project player success.

The ECHL is effectively a graveyard except in very rare cases for some noteworthy NHL goalies (Quick, Holtby, Vokoun), and depth NHL'ers (Burrows, Corvo, Gomez, Ryder).
All those "depth" NHLers were all good players in their prime. With that said, I do agree that just because Falkovsky scored 20 in the ECHL doesn't mean he's a top 20 prospect, in the CPHL rankings I'd likely have him ahead of Lomberg at 25.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:18 PM   #45
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
For what it's worth, FlamesNation's rankings will be revealed throughout August.
Good write up.on AOM. Kind of a reality check for the log Jam we have on defense (prospects) right now. Hope the kid has a big season and gets good minutes in Stockton.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:58 PM   #46
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks! I like Ollas Mattsson if only because he's different than a lot of the offensive-minded guys. There's probably a path to the NHL for him because of that.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:10 AM   #47
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It should also be noted that Scott Gomez was already an established NHLer in 2005 and was only playing in the ECHL because of the lockout.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #48
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see Dube ahead of gillies and kylington. Could be nhler but which of these would garner more trade interest if you offered them out right now?
Old 08-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #49
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I can't see Dube ahead of gillies and kylington. Could be nhler but which of these would garner more trade interest if you offered them out right now?
I'm betting less than Gillies, but pretty even with Kylington. Kylington's edge might only be in the position he plays.

If I was to make a bet on who makes the NHL permanently, Dube probably has a better overall chance. There's usually room for a very sueful guy like him, who I can see as a good depth forward who could kill penalties and play a checking role. Kylington has the higher ceiling, but also a lower floor IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #50
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

All this talk about Kylington, thing that worries me most is same things teams were worried about at the draft, his attitude. I have a very reliable source (Friend who has played with him) MODs can PM for details that told me everyone in the AHL hates the guy. Apparently his S*** dont stink kind of attitude and no one likes him. That kinda worries me about the kid.
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #51
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
All this talk about Kylington, thing that worries me most is same things teams were worried about at the draft, his attitude. I have a very reliable source (Friend who has played with him) MODs can PM for details that told me everyone in the AHL hates the guy. Apparently his S*** dont stink kind of attitude and no one likes him. That kinda worries me about the kid.
Treliving is all about character, if Kylington really does have an attitude issue I imagine it won't go far with the big club and he would find himself as trade bait pretty quickly.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #52
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Treliving is all about character, if Kylington really does have an attitude issue I imagine it won't go far with the big club and he would find himself as trade bait pretty quickly.
Ya thats kind of where my worry lies, if he ever gets the chance due to attitude issues. The talent is there, my buddy never denied that, but when the entire team hates the guy its a bit disturbing to hear..
Old 08-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #53
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
Ya thats kind of where my worry lies, if he ever gets the chance due to attitude issues. The talent is there, my buddy never denied that, but when the entire team hates the guy its a bit disturbing to hear..
I tend to take things ex-teammates about NHLers with a grain of salt, especially guys who play junior or AHL but were not good enough for the NHL tend to like to throw the more talented guys under the bus once they are off the team. I have had lots of buddies play with guys who ended up in the NHL and you always hear stuff like this.

Guy I knew played with Carey Price in Tri-City, and I remember him calling Carey a normal weird goalie that the rest of the team hated.

Another buddy played with Toews on the Canada West U-17 team and I remember him just hating him.

Mason Raymond didn't have very many good things to say about some of his Flames teammates after he was bought out.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-09-2017 at 01:50 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #54
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I tend to take things ex-teammates about NHLers with a grain of salt, especially guys who play junior or AHL but were not good enough for the NHL tend to like to throw the more talented guys under the bus once they are off the team. I have had lots of buddies play with guys who ended up in the NHL and you always hear stuff like this.

Guy I knew played with Carey Price in Tri-City, and I remember him calling Carey a normal weird goalie that the rest of the team hated.

Another buddy played with Toews on the Canada West U-17 team and I remember him just hating him.

Mason Raymond didn't have very many good things to say about some of his Flames teammates after he was bought out.
In fairness buddy still plays with him and is considered a prospect in the similar range as Kylington.. not a has been YET haha
Old 08-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #55
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He hinted that he and Hartley didn't get along. I saw nothing about ex-teammates, especially since the interview that I think you are talking about was done at a skate with ex-teammates and prospects.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #56
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Speaking of Carey Price, he also threw Subban under the bus after the Shea Weber trade with similar criticisms to what are usually lodged on Kylington (cocky, needs to KISS principle etc). Not sure that made that team any better.

Anyways, if Kylington is putting in the work, he doesn't need his peers to like him. I'll maybe be worried if an established high-end veteran like Giordano or Backlund were to have an issue with him than if a lunchpail guy like Hathaway, Lomberg, Klimchuk, Wotherspoon(, Brouwer, etc) etc had a problem with him.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-09-2017 at 02:11 PM.
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote