spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #22
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
How about signing Polak to a PTO?
He is a right hand shot so small likelyhood he chooses to try out here IMO. But if he is willing to come to camp then for sure do it.

He can probably find a better team to try out for though. Our right side is the deepest in the league
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #23
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
He is a right hand shot so small likelyhood he chooses to try out here IMO. But if he is willing to come to camp then for sure do it.

He can probably find a better team to try out for though. Our right side is the deepest in the league
I wouldn't say it's the deepest. The top end is definitely very good, but we only have 4 RHD on NHL contracts.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:22 AM   #24
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just say no to PTO's this year. Let the competition come internally.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #25
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Bartkowski is the odd man out. Every team had a crack at getting him for free last season. If some GM wants to claim him off waivers, so be it.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #26
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe the 6th and 7th defense spots will truly be merit based decisions. The organization will not hesitate to put any of Bartkowski, Kulak or Wotherspoon on waivers if they are not earning their spot.

They will risk losing them, before carrying someone who isn't earning their spot.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ideally I'd like to see a youngster take the next step and grab a hold of that #6 spot. But if it's Bart I won't cry over it either. He's no where near as bad as some suggest.

But it's high time some of our supposed great D prospects challenge for full time roster spots.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #28
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm going to guess Kulak lands the spot as No. 6 providing there aren't any trades etc...

and that Bartowski is #7 in the press box.

As much hate as Bart gets he's serviceable in a 6/7 role. He made some mistakes in his time here last season but I think you're pretty much always going to see that in a 6/7 guy. He was also solid for stretches, and at the end of the day it's not going to do someone like Wortherspoon any good to be sitting in the press box. Bartowski is perfect in that position and can fill in if there's injuries.

Hopefully a youngster earns that #6 spot and Bartowski keeps a seat warm upstairs, leaving other young players who didn't land to play big mins in the AHL.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #29
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bart to AHL. He won't be claimed and no loss if he is.

Kulak and Wotherspoon occupy #6 and #7 based on merit. Only one of these two will still be with the organisation next season.

Next season Kylington and Andersson challenge the winner of Kulak / Wotherspoon and Stone for spots. Trades to follow.

Is there any chance Andersson and Kylington play together in the AHL? To my limited Heat knowledge...that hasn't happened yet?
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #30
s_procee
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I am hoping Kylington makes the jump for the 2018/2019 season, leave him in the AHL for experience
s_procee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #31
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
I wouldn't say it's the deepest. The top end is definitely very good, but we only have 4 RHD on NHL contracts.
Fair enough, deep might not be the word but essentially an injury has to happen for a guy like Polak to get into the lineup if he were to tryout here.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #32
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If nothing changes (~69% chance)

6) Kulak
7) Bartkowski

If they get a free agent (~20% chance)

6) Franson
7) Bartkowski

If they decide to cut ties with Bartkowski / put him in the minors and protect Wotherspoon's waiver status (~10% chance)

6) Kulak
7) Wotherspoon

Fantasy land (<1% chance)

6) Valimaki
7) Andersson
Old 08-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #33
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Healey is a long shot as well IMO.
Is he, though? I don't know enough about him to say. Sure, the MO tends to be AHL first, NHL after but it's not written in stone. What we do know is:

- LHS, just like Kulak and Wotherspoon and Bartkowski.
- 23 years old, pretty much same age as Kulak/Jankowski/Foo/Poirier/Shinkaruk/Lazar
- At 6'1" / 205lbs he's physically mature.
- His skating is certainly good enough for the NHL, no doubt
- Described as a defensive defenseman, so I doubt this is a Kenney Morrison issue here where he's clueless in his zone
- Probably the closest thing to Engelland as far as a hitting type 3rd pair guy. Treliving compared his style to Gudas which, even with Hamonic, would still be a "style" of player they might think our team could use
- 0.676 PPG in his final two years of college hockey, better/comparable production than for example McDonagh who made the jump from NCAA to NHL
- Looked confident moving the puck in his short AHL stint

He's my darkhorse for these reasons. I really noticed him at Dev camp too for all the right reasons including some offensive upside. And he could also make the team out of camp and get sent down later if he needs more time, whereas if they waive Wotherspoon or Kulak it'll be during camp to sneak them through.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-09-2017 at 03:06 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #34
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way Bartkowski jumped ahead of guys on the depth chart as soon as he was signed, and was seemingly given a very long leash, I expect to see him play a lot with the Flames. The way that changes is if one of the higher ceiling defense prospects, a la Andersson, shows they are ready.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #35
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Is he, though? I don't know enough about him to say. Sure, the MO tends to be AHL first, NHL after but it's not written in stone. What we do know is:

- LHS, just like Kulak and Wotherspoon and Bartkowski.
- 23 years old, pretty much same age as Kulak/Jankowski/Foo/Poirier/Shinkaruk/Lazar
- At 6'1" / 205lbs he's physically mature.
- His skating is certainly good enough for the NHL, no doubt
- Described as a defensive defenseman, so I doubt this is a Kenney Morrison issue here where he's clueless in his zone
- Probably the closest thing to Engelland as far as a hitting type 3rd pair guy. Treliving compared his style to Gudas which, even with Hamonic, would still be a "style" of player they might think our team could use
- 0.676 PPG in his final two years of college hockey, better/comparable production than for example McDonagh who made the jump from NCAA to NHL
- Looked confident moving the puck in his short AHL stint

He's my darkhorse for these reasons. I really noticed him at Dev camp too for all the right reasons including some offensive upside.

Healy's a long shot to start the season in the NHL, too many other guys with pro hockey experience fighting for the spots. I could see a call-up mid-season because of injuries assuming if he's playing well enough.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #36
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
too many other guys with pro hockey experience fighting for the spots.
Isn't that equally true for Spencer Foo?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:27 PM   #37
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like Bartkowski as the #7, unless two waiver eligible players play so well that there is a real risk of losing one for nothing.

I do think that competition for #6 will be open and Kulak is in the lead, but not a lock
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #38
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So Bartkowski is the new whipping boy. Just wait until he commits the ultimate sin, celebrating his 30th birthday.

I thought he was just fine. A definite upgrade on Jokkipakka. And one of the better depth D of the last few seasons IMO.

There are 5 bonafide NHL calibre D. Bartkowski is the measuring stick for the 6 spot. If any of these younger guys want to be NHL regulars all they have to do is be better than Bartkowski. And five months ago, none of them were.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #39
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The way Bartkowski jumped ahead of guys on the depth chart as soon as he was signed, and was seemingly given a very long leash, I expect to see him play a lot with the Flames. The way that changes is if one of the higher ceiling defense prospects, a la Andersson, shows they are ready.
I'm hoping for a philosophy change this year.

Instead of going with the safest bets possible fearing the team might miss the playoffs on rookie mistakes, assume you're a playoff team and play the guy that has the best chance of being the better player by April.

Kulak is that guy.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2017, 05:55 PM   #40
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Just say no to PTO's this year. Let the competition come internally.
Yes to PTOs. No to signing any. Every team uses PTOs. Last year there were well over 100 PTOs.

What is unusual is to actually sign any of them. Only 5 were signed, 2 by Calgary. It is a sure sign that the top prospects dropped the ball in training camp. Hopefully that doesn't happen again this year.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote