Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-29-2017, 11:21 PM   #1341
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Jones should move straight up to heavyweight. The way he just dismantled Cormier, there's no point in him staying in the LHW division.

Edit: I would also be surprised if Cormier didn't retire tonight.

Last edited by wontondestruction; 07-29-2017 at 11:51 PM.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:16 AM   #1342
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That makes sense as it sounds like Lesnar is leaving the WWE and not signing another contract.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:39 AM   #1343
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Leaving the WWE to join another company that operates like the WWE...

The fake drama has killed the UFC for me.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #1344
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Between the McGregor Mayweather fight and now Jones Lesnar the UFC is a joke. It's a sideshow to make money and not much else. Disappointing to see but at least Dana got his payday.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #1345
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Between the McGregor Mayweather fight and now Jones Lesnar the UFC is a joke. It's a sideshow to make money and not much else. Disappointing to see but at least Dana got his payday.

For sure. I'm not a Joe Rogan fan, but when he talked about the Mayweather fight, he was pretty honest in saying it's a longshot. The other guy then chimes in and WWE's the #### outta it. lol

How UFC could welcome back Lesnar considering his last fight he was juiced up, is just bad reputationally for them. It's becoming more and more apparent that they're just as money hungry as boxing promoters now, screwing the integrity of the sport, when you consider these latest moves as well as the hundreds of staff cuts behind the scenes.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #1346
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol

Guys, what is the #1 goal of any business?

To make money.

"Oh those bastards, how dare they do things that will make them more money?!"

My interest in the UFC has waned the last few years. They haven't gotten any of my money in quite a while, and I used to get every PPV religiously. Still, I'm not going to resent them for getting involved in high profile fights that will make them money. It's why they do what they do.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #1347
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
lol

Guys, what is the #1 goal of any business?

To make money.

"Oh those bastards, how dare they do things that will make them more money?!"

My interest in the UFC has waned the last few years. They haven't gotten any of my money in quite a while, and I used to get every PPV religiously. Still, I'm not going to resent them for getting involved in high profile fights that will make them money. It's why they do what they do.
Sigh, no one is begrudging them making money. They've taken their highest profile fighter and put him in a sideshow against an old man in another sport and now look to take their second highest profile fighter and having him fight a known juicer in another weight class who's lately spent his time rasslin. These are exhibition fights and they're the "highlight" of the organisation. That's the joke.

Last edited by ResAlien; 07-30-2017 at 12:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #1348
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Sigh, no one is begrudging them making money. They've taken their highest profile fighter and put him in a sideshow against an old man in another sport and now look to take their second highest profile fighter and having him fight a known juicer in another weight class who's lately spent his time rasslin. These are exhibition fights and they're the "highlight" of the organisation. That's the joke.
They are making more money off these fights because they are high profile, and people bitch and complain non stop because of it, like the two posts previous to mine.

I don't want to watch Conor fighter Mayweather. I would much rather see Conor defend his LW title and fight MMA fights, but what can you do? It's about making money and McGregor would have to fight about 6 UFC fights or more to make what he's likely going to make in this one sideshow fight with Mayweather. MacGregor is reportedly going to pull down roughly $70+ million for this fight, and the UFC is supposed to get 10% of the total revenue.

Same with Jones. The guy made $500k for his fight last night, plus $50k bonus for performance of the night. That was a fight against a guy who is likely his biggest challenge in the LHW division. That's peanuts when you look at the big picture. Why does he call out Lesnar? Because Lesnar is one of the biggest draws in UFC history. He's one of a select few who's ever pulled down 7 figures from a UFC fight purse. He's going for a pay day, simple as that.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 07-30-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:20 PM   #1349
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, that's the point. I don't know how to put it in other terms but there is reckless abandon in what they're doing to promote the sport as legitimate. Nobody's going to fault them for making money, but they're biting the hand that feeds. Certainly fans moved over from other brute entertainment forms because UFC had a legitimate realness to it. By now promoting it like WWE for the sake of making money, they'll make money from it in the near term (shock factor), but then you have to keep upping the ante to bring those fans in when it becomes ho-hum. They're playing with fire and to me, it's not in a good way. The good days were the GSP days from 2008. I haven't really been a fan post-2011 or so, so this is mostly me speaking as an outsider fan looking in. I also found yesterdays card pretty good - first event watched in awhile.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #1350
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's no different then it's always been

It's a fight promotion just because they sold you the sports label to get it over and on TV doesn't change the fact that they are fight promoters.

From day one this is how it has always been,
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 09:54 PM   #1351
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

WME overpaid for the UFC. The only way they'r going to fill up the coffers is to have these outlandish fights that get the attention of the general public. Also, the new management haven't a clue what the #### they're doing. I don't know how they let guys like Rory McDonald and Gegard Moussasi go to Bellator.
The Following User Says Thank You to wontondestruction For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 10:18 AM   #1352
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

The point when UFC was officially in the business of spectacles was when they let James Toney get embarrassed by Randy Couture all those years ago. From there, the spectacles just became more frequent.

Bellator is on the rise. UFC has no compass since the takeover.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:09 PM   #1353
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 09:05 PM   #1354
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #1355
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope you're all sitting down...Jon Jones failed his drug test after his win over Cormier. What an idiot.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 09:16 PM   #1356
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel the worst for DC in all this.

Even though Jones is the only person he's ever lost to, and even though we know that Jones wasn't likely clean for either fight, it will go down as a blemish on his career that he wasn't able to beat Jones.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #1357
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I feel the worst for DC in all this.

Even though Jones is the only person he's ever lost to, and even though we know that Jones wasn't likely clean for either fight, it will go down as a blemish on his career that he wasn't able to beat Jones.
I think this actually makes it better for DC. I'm guessing the most recent fight will be called a no-contest, and everyone will probably think Jones was juicing in their first first fight, which may or may not be the case.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #1358
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the UFC really wanted to take a stance against PEDs, they'd award the losing fighter all the winnings if the other fighter tested positive post-fight. Jones is a waste.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #1359
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Isn't Jones now facing a 4 year suspension for this, which for him is pretty much a career death sentence.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #1360
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Isn't Jones now facing a 4 year suspension for this, which for him is pretty much a career death sentence.
Guess that canival sideshow "super fight" with Brock will have to be at WrestleMania. That's a shame.