Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #2301
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Thought it was a great episode, just two things that bugged me.

1) The scene with Grey Worm and Missandei was awkward and went on pretty long. Compared with the rest of he episode, which was moving at a quick pace, felt like it went on too long.
I enjoyed the Missandei scene.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #2302
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
I think the mistranslation was a quick little joke the writers put in to make us temporarily think that now Daenerys is the "princess who was promised". But Melisandre quickly rejects the notion that the prophecy refers to Daenerys. Instead she sort of says "Yea, well, prophecies are tricky. But there is this guy Jon Snow who I've been backing, and you two need to meet".
hang on, unless I watched it wrong, I thought Missandei was talking to Dany when she said that her translation of prince/princess was wrong. I assumed Melisandre knew that the title was gender neutral and that it could be either Dany or Jon or a both of them.

they've shown Dany struggling a bit with her multilingualism in the past, like when Missandei was correcting her Dothraki. her high Valyrian is probably very good, but it's not used nearly as much as the common tongue, which I assume is still her first language.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #2303
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yeah that was my take as well.

Missandei only seemed to address Dany when correcting the translation. I understood it that Melisandre wasn't being told new information.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #2304
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Yeah, that episode was clunky. Super Euron was pretty silly in my view. That whole battle scene seemed really hard to watch. ####ty cutting and too much clutter on the screen (with added embers) to really take in everything that was happening. Also, am I crazy, or did they actually speed up some of that footage?

RIP Tyene Sand. You will be missed
This was my take as well. There were times when I was kind of surprised at how...disjointed that episode was.

No big deal, every season has them, I think I was just holding them to a higher standard because they shortened the seasons.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #2305
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yeah that was my take as well.

Missandei only seemed to address Dany when correcting the translation. I understood it that Melisandre wasn't being told new information.
Yes, I agree. But once Dany understood there was a prophecy about a prince/princess that would bring the dawn, Dany immediately thought "oh, you must be talking about me, because I am the greatest, and need more titles at the end of my name". For a brief second, the viewers are lead to believe that Melisandre has switch allegiances yet again, and now she believes Dany is the chosen one.

But then Melisandre quickly rejects this, saying "well, prophecies are tricky. Both you and this guy Jon Snow have a role to play".

I took it to mean that Melisandre was diplomatically rejecting the notion that the prophecy was about Dany, and that Melisandre still believes that Jon Snow is the chosen one.

I suppose we could also read it straight, and that Melisandre doesn't want to get blinded by her beliefs and following prophets. At some level she believes Dany and Jon are important for the coming war, but she isn't sure anymore if there really is a chosen prince/princess, and if so, who that might be.

EDIT

And if Melisandre really is confused, maybe it's because the "prince who was promised" is the yet to be conceived, incestuous love child of Jon and Dany.

Last edited by gottabekd; 07-24-2017 at 11:11 AM.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #2306
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Missandei and Grey Worm's scene was awkward because they have zero chemistry. His dialogue was the worst part.

I like senior Tarly.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #2307
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Missandei and Grey Worm's scene was awkward because they have zero chemistry. His dialogue was the worst part.

I like senior Tarly.
It was about to get real awkward.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #2308
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
It was about to get real awkward.
I feel like this thread is gradually devolving into the 'conceptual penis' thread territory.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #2309
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I was still cringing this morning from Sam's amateur surgery. That scene transition was especially disgusting.
Seriously Samwell has the worst possible job in Westeros. I am not sure what was worse between the poop-soup and the puss-pie montage.

Looks like Arya's going to miss Jon again. I'm really hoping she goes up north and gives Little Finger a good poke with needle.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #2310
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Seriously Samwell has the worst possible job in Westeros. I am not sure what was worse between the poop-soup and the puss-pie montage.

Looks like Arya's going to miss Jon again. I'm really hoping she goes up north and gives Little Finger a good poke with needle.
Spoiler!

Last edited by dammage79; 07-24-2017 at 01:17 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #2311
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Arya arrives at Winterfell and misses Jon, but her and little Lady Mormont become fast friends and take down all their enemies single-handed. All bend the knee to them both.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #2312
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Arya arrives at Winterfell and misses Jon, but her and little Lady Mormont become fast friends and take down all their enemies single-handed. All bend the knee to them both.
Roll Credits.

Presumably accompanied by the image of a dancing George RR Martin flashing the birds.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #2313
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
That looks like Arias tragectory. There's some spoiler laden pre season photo s of her with one of little fingers possessions.
So why are you posting that here!?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #2314
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
So why are you posting that here!?
Hm? Nothing was spoiled. You don't even have to bury your head in the sand unless you have an insanely Keen eye for detail. I could tell you little finger stole Harry Potter magic wand and aryia won it in a bet as to who make better pie.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #2315
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

You straight up posted that a character in pre-season photos was shown with another character's possessions. Characters that haven't crossed paths since season one. That is a spoiler, and use of the spoiler tags would be appreciated.

Last edited by Bigtime; 07-24-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #2316
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
That looks like Arias tragectory. There's some spoiler laden pre season photo s of her with one of little fingers possessions.
are they official press photos or those blurry paparazzi leaks? I hope it's not the latter.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #2317
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
are they official press photos or those blurry paparazzi leaks? I hope it's not the latter.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #2318
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

GOT cast on Conan tonight (Comic- Con).
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #2319
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was an average episode.

What I liked:
-The meetings at Dragonstone, King's Landing, and Winterfell setting up the plot and showing how much the lords distrust each other and the difficulties ahead achieving peace.
-They did a good job setting up the twist at the end with the comments about Tyron's plan being too clever. I was wondering why team Dany was hanging out at Dragonstone and hadn't just amassed a superior force against King's Landing. The plan to open a two front war limiting casualties made sense however it is a common theme on GoT that trying to do the honourable thing can backfire.
-Arya's reunions. She was once the best part of the show, then became the worst, and now back in Westeros she is the best again.
-Euron's entrance was epic. Also, it was nice to see a couple of the pointless Sand Snakes get killed off.

What I didn't like:
-The sea battle at the end was epic but I had trouble following everything due to the frantic cutting and lack of lighting. Still better than any other action on TV but I have higher expectations from GoT.
-Sam being used to gross out the audience two episodes in a row. What disgusting thing will he be up to next week?
-The reveal that the secret weapon against dragons was a Hobbit style cross bow. I was expecting something cooler such as dragon poison or even a re-animated frankendragon.
-The super awkward Grey Worm and Missandei scene. What is the point of this? Are they showing an impossible love to give us a break from the horrors of war? Is it a set up to make us more emotionally attached when one of them is killed off? Are they trying to give more screen time to the only non-white actors on the show? At this stage of the story both characters are no longer important to the plot and it seems like the writers are grasping at straws trying to keep them relevant.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #2320
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The point of the Missandei/Grey Worm scene was to show boobies. Nothing more.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: